CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 03:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106611 Posts in 12428 Topics by 4790 Members
Latest Member: gmein
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  SS small or big block
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SS small or big block  (Read 2423 times)
kcandc

View Profile Email
« on: February 11, 2006, 12:11:12 AM »

I am looking for a 67-69 Camaro to restore and would like to find a real SS. How can you tell if a car is a real SS with all the clones out there? Also how can you tell if it came with a big block or a small block. What about the RS?  I have seen so many that look good, only to find out they are clones. My 68 SS Chevelle has the proof right in the VIN #. What about Camaros?  Thanks, Karl   
ogbean

thesupernova_86@hotmail.com thesupernova86@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:46:36 AM »

I believe 68's are impossible to tell if u dont have docomentation or a POP. Even if the numbers match on the engine...it isnt solid PROOF of the origionality...the can be restamped. 67's and 69's i believe can be easier to determine by the cowl tag...not 100% sure on this...being a 68 owner i can only vouch 100% for the 68 info. Hope this helps

David

1968 L30 4spd Huh, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe
william
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »

The only way to know for sure is to buy a car that has original factory paperwork such as a window sticker or protectoplate. Although there is repo paperwork it is quite obvious that it is not original.

Assuming a Camaro is an original SS or Z/28 based on equipment or body tag info is not wise. There are some perfectly executed clones out there. Which begs the question: If no one can tell, what's the difference?
danh3508

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 10:30:54 AM »

Karl, everyone is correct. There are fake cowl tags, paperwork, engine blocks restamped. The best you can do is become a very educated buyer. Fortunately most people do not build clones 100% correct and there are flaws. There are professionals out there you can hire who know what to look for. Dan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: