Author Topic: needing title help desperately in Texas  (Read 13328 times)

ddc

• View Profile
needing title help desperately in Texas
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »
The owners of this car passed 10 years ago and the car was inside the garage when I bought the home. Has anyone ever filed a suit to ask a judge to award a vehicle to them? TXDOT will accept this result and then issue a new clean title, but the county court offers no help with filing a case. Anyone familiar with such a suit who can help me? I am thinking I should get it titled prior to selling it if at all possible. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks for reading this. dc

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: needing title help desperately in Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »
Have you talked to an attorney?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Reineke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
Can you apply for a lost title?

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:32 AM »
If you apply for a lost title it's going to come with the last titled owners name on it.  Won't do you anygood unless your planning on forging a signature on it to make it look like you bought it from that person.

What does the paperwork for the house say?  Any mention of the car, specifically by its VIN?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »
Check with TXDOT and see if you can claim it as an abonded car. 

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

Reineke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:42:35 AM »
If you apply for a lost title it's going to come with the last titled owners name on it.  Won't do you anygood unless your planning on forging a signature on it to make it look like you bought it from that person.

What does the paperwork for the house say?  Any mention of the car, specifically by its VIN?

If you got the title with the deceased name on it, there should be something in place to acknowlege that you purchased the property and what was on it and should be able to get it changed to the new owner.  This phrase is more of a question about how they do things in this scenario...  I don't really know how it all works out.

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:55:09 AM »
Click the link below, they might be able to help.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:26 AM »
Decades ago, I worked in a shop where somebody left a car after repairs were made. The owner was able to get title to the car through the court in return for the unpaid bill, and accumulated storage. I don't remember the details. Before you go too far you might want to determine if the car has been reported stolen.

Good luck with it.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

ddc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
I have talked with a few attorneys who where not familiar with this process and had not heard of it before. Since the owners are passed on, I was planning to go to court 'pro se' as there is no defendant. Regarding abandoned status, that is used by law enforcement to direct a vehicle to destruction. A mechanic lien is applicable only if you have a signed repair work order from the owner. A storage lien applied only if you have a licensed storage facility. The real estate deal makes no legal reference to contents or personal property as it was an auction. I have worked on this along period of time to find several dead ends. At this point, it appears a suit is the only method I can persue. The trouble is finding the needle in the haystack-someone who has done this and knows the case format I may follow. I hope someone will read this who knows and can help me. Thank you all for the ideas  posted; thusfar, those noted aren't possible solutions I have been told. Any help is appreciated. dc P.S. I am going to look at the title link now and thank you.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Who was executor of the estate? That job would include the disposition of the assets, maybe the executor can transfer title to the car.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »
Decades ago, I worked in a shop where somebody left a car after repairs were made. The owner was able to get title to the car through the court in return for the unpaid bill, and accumulated storage.

This is a mechanic's lien.  A mechanic's lien is a security interest in the title to property for the benefit of those who have supplied labor or materials that improve the property. The lien exists for both real property and personal property.

Paul

ddc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »
PAUL

As I was told, but this may be in error, the storage business must be a legitamate business. An individual could not apply this method to lien the car. Do you think anyone may charge for storage?

dc

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
You might want to discuss this with these people http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/TVCC/

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Click the link below, they might be able to help.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Used them twice ... 200 bucks and about 6 weeks start to finish
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

zegret

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »
Any luck resolving this issue yet?  Interested to know how it all turned out!
1969 Coupe
1969 RS
1980 Z28
2002 SS