Author Topic: The story of my 67 Z/28 now undergoing restoration  (Read 35125 times)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: The story of my 67 Z/28 now undergoing restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »
OK guys - I still need a radiator and some NOS driver side door weatherstripping - somebody point me in the right direction!

Heartbeat City has both in stock...  http://store.heartbeatcity.net/store/content/63/NOS-%26-Rare-Parts/

Paul

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »
Hey Paul,

You forgot to mention your ride in the 13,000 mile all original Marina blue hot rod........eh?  Drive it like you stole it, right?

Jerry

plasiter

• View Profile
The story of my 67 Z/28 now undergoing restoration
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »
Jerry is right - the best part of my trip back east was spending time with great people, doing great things.

Jerry was kind enough to take out his 13K original mile 67 Z/28 out for a spin to the post office...with me as a passenger.  Whoa.  I am still wearing a smile from that ride.  Jerry sure made my trip out from CA VERY worth the effort.  Truthfully - I was expecting the original power cushion's to pop with the way Jerry firmly applied right foot pressure.  What a kick!  Its been a long time since my car has been drivable, and getting a glimpse of what lies ahead for me was truly rewarding.  But Jerry's car - that's something very special.  We're talking about a car that only has about 317/miles per year on her!

My thanks again to Jerry, Jon, Ken, Don, Larry, Dale, Kerry, Phil, Paul, Bill, Mark, Jerry #2, Robert, etc...  I appreciate the help you have all given me this far and appreciate meeting you in person at Carlisle.

Paul

1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

plasiter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »
Well, I called up Heartbeat City to check on the NOS 1967 door weatherstrip - they thought I was out of my mind.  I told them its listed on their website as "67 - 68 - 69 NOS Door Weatherstrip" and they said something like they didn't know it was there.  So, I'm still looking for that LEFT side door weatherstrip folks....  On the radiator front - they want $1,600 for what they say is an original 67/68 Z radiator.  Ouch.  Frankly, I think I'd be happy with "OD" and "IH" coded Harrison tanks, a top rail, and I'll just get a new core and a repro tag.  But I still need the tanks....dated "d" or "e" ideally.

Thanks.
1967 Z/28 - Factory Special Order Flambeau Red Paint (Close to Hugger Orange) in 1967!

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »
Great find on your car ! It has to be one of one made. Lucas restorations looks like a first class shop to restore your rare piece. Keep us at CRG informed on the progress.

Mike

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 03:00:11 AM »
plasiter, HBC makes a very nice reproduction radiator. Maybe they can accomodate you on the date stamp.

Tell us about the engine build. What specs?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
Paul my friend still has that rad. and I took a couple pics. of it It was already recored at one time so the orig bars are gone. IH & OD  and the date is a C ( March). The Brackets will need to be blasted and the tanks will need a little hammering. He wants 135.00 and I took some pics. It is a two core but that doesn't matter if you are buying a new core and new tag. I use to have the correct upper & lower bars around here. I may have sold them but I'll look any way. Let me know if you are interested kerrysauto@comcast.net  Thanks Kerry

plasiter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 03:31:52 AM »
Hello guys.

Well, as far as the engine build goes, Guy Mancini put the engine together in 1998.  Its a bone-stock '67 302 with specs in accordance with the following link:   http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros/302.htm   

Kerry - let me check with Jerry/Ken on the "c" date codes on the tanks to see if that's "close enough."  Thanks for looking and keeping me in mind - I'll get back to you soon.

More later...

Paul

plasiter

• View Profile
The story of my 67 Z/28 now undergoing restoration
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Its been quite a while since my last update.  Here's how things stand today.  I've attached a few pictures of the car in its current state at East Coast Muscle Cars.  Things have defintely come a long way.  All of the bodywork is complete, and we're in the blocking stage right now.  The car is looking very straight and in good shape.  I've also attached a picture of a section of original color along the roofrail and Hugger Orange as well as Flameau Red color spraty outs for comparison.  They look virtually identical to me.  The computer indicated the Flameau Red color was a closer match - but I can't tell the difference.

So, bodywork continues while Lucas Restorations/Camaro Hi Performance take on other more limited projects for the car (radiator, smog system, transmission, brakes, etc...)  Little by little, progress is definitely being made.

On the parts hunt - the list has gotten a bit shorter and evolved as well.  Of course, I'm still looking for NOS left door weatherstripping, original Front Door Panels and Rear Panels for a standard, black interior, 2 Rear Deluxe Seat Belts (black), a correct 1967 dipstick, and a correct AM/FM antenna.

All in all - that's not too bad!

I'll keep you posted at the next significant stage. 

Paul

plasiter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »
Well - the one and only Flambeau Red 1967 Z/28 is one step closer to being brought back to life...  COLOR!  At last!  Paul

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:25 AM »
Car is looking good Paul. Hope too see it someday along with you. See Ya Paul
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »
Paul, is the 67 dipstick the same as the 68, the grey tip?  If it is, I bought one from someone on here.  If it is let me know and I'll look it up.
68Z28

plasiter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »
According to the legends judges at the Camaro Nationals, the correct dipstick has a brown tip.  Fortunately, I was able to pick one up cheap from a vendor at Carlisle.

So on the parts list, I'm down to needing:  1) NOS left door weatherstripping, 2) original front and rear door panels for a standard, black interior, 3) 2 rear seat deluxe seat belts (black), 4) a correct jack (and related components), and 5) a correct AM/FM antenna.  That's it.  A pretty short list.  I'm lucky...

Thanks for asking.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »
Thank God for Porsche lovers ;D When I was 18"1976" I saw a 69 camaro at the college when I would drop off my GF at the time! I left a note on the guys car that if he ever wanted to sell I would be interested. He called about 6 mo.later. I drove up to his house & bought it right there! I was so nervous when I drove it around the block with him! He said he was buying a Porsche.I did not know it was a Z10 396,I just wanted a 69 camaro with hidden headlights. Not my first car but I have owned ever since! Im in the process of restoring it now,I probably should have left it alone as it was a great survivor!
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
Hi Paul,glad to read such a neat story,kind of reminds me of my mistake of selling my 67z back in 87.So I got it back and your dad was right never sell your first car!! cant wait to see it done.Did you come across my 67Z last year at carlisle? here is a pic.Ron.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.