Author Topic: break in oil additive  (Read 3257 times)

rua69z

• View Profile
break in oil additive
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:02:01 AM »
Hello

I have read all the threads on oil for new start ups and see Jerry's comments on using the EOS product from G.M. as an oild additive to use in conjunction with the Rotella oil. My question is does anyone have any comments on the Lucas break in oil additive. My engine builder said he prefers the Lucas brand over the EOS and before I dump it in I would like to ask for opinions. Having read it I see the zinc contents and think it looks ok but......?

thanks in advance.

Jim

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Re: break in oil additive
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »
  If you know Jerry's Iconic history, I would go with his opinion.  But, if it is going to be an issue with your engine builder standing behind his work, or not, then go with his opinion.   My brother just rebuilt a #'s matching 300 hp. 327 for his '66 CHEVY II 2 dr. sedan,  his engine builder(very respectable) used the Lucas.  He also has kept adding the Lucas at every Oil change.  His rebuild was about 15 months ago, he now has approx.  7,500 miles on it with no problems.  He took it on the HOT ROD Power Tour (3,500 mi.)last year right after the rebuild with no issues. He bought the body now 5 years ago, and his sons and I helped in restoring it.  I know this is not a Nova site, but it is still a Chevy, and one sweet ride.  So sorry if I offend anyone by posting a pic. !  (This is the original color)
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: break in oil additive
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:41:05 AM »
   Offend anyone??? - Hell NO - I personally love those II post cars and wish I had one. Sweet ride and I bet it moves along very well especially if that 327 is jacked up at all!! 
   Seems like everyone has their own brand of 'bottled magic' available these days... I saw Comp Cams oil on the internet somewhere lately, maybe on the Summit site with 1800 ppm's worth of Zinc & Phosphorous already in it and for a decent price as well. Since they have an especially vested interest (more so than just another oil distributor) in keeping parts slipping and sliding along, their product would in my mind at least seem like a good bet to use...
   I always wonder how well the add-in after additives might mix in with the oil or if they might separate out while sitting in the crankcase - verses being blended into the oil when it was distilled by the manufacturer.
  Randy

anything