Author Topic: 396, 325hp engine rebuild.  (Read 5835 times)

monaroman

• View Profile
396, 325hp engine rebuild.
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:07:24 AM »

Hi there,

Ok i would like to get a 396 325hp engine stripped down and rebuilt. Transmission is a M20 (wide ratio) and Differential 3.07

My ego is kicking in a little now so i would like to have a new cam installed (350hp). The rest of the engine i would like to keep to factory spec's.

Could i get some advice/experience of the process involved in stripping down and rebuilding a engine e.g acid bath, honed, blue printed etc.

I would really like to get this rebuild done correctly and professionally without missing a stage.

Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:10:08 AM by monaroman »

jonboy1216

• View Profile
Re: 396, 325hp engine rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:10 AM »
dont let the rebuilder deck the block !!! make sure they know this when you drop it off.other than that research your area engine shops and talk alot to them before any work is to be done and ask lots of ?s

monaroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:11:35 AM »

Hi mate,

Can you please expand on your comment- Block not to be decked...

Cheers

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »
Assuming your bores will need work - Check the cost and availability for replacement pistons. That will be a big part of the decision making process.

-Mark.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »

Hi mate,

Can you please expand on your comment- Block not to be decked...

Cheers

Many machine shops routinely deck the block (machine the top deck surfaces) during a rebuild, and most of the time it isn't necessary - if they deck the block, it will machine off the stamped numbers on the front block pad, and you DON'T want that to happen.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Don't deck (cut) the deck because the partial vin stamping on the deck, presuming it matches the cars vin number authenticates the 396 to your car. Most machine shops will take off the partial vin if they deck the block. There are machines that can deck the block without hitting the stamping but many shops do not have that more expensive machine. Some places may tell you they can just restamp the block. Experts can and will know the difference. A restamped block hints strongly at fake, and that has an effect on the value of the car. There are experts on this site who can provide more info, but that is a basic on why not to deck the block.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

monaroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »

Cheers for the advice there. Sadly the block is not original to the car.

Yep new pistons.

I have a clear idea of what is required for a rebuild. Im hoping some more information could be supplied as exactly what steps are required at what stage..

Cheers

z28302dz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »
For a general idea you could pick up a book like, "How to Rebuild Your Big Block Chevy", through Amazon or another book supplier. I think the author was Tim Wilson.  It may help you with a few of your questions, and give you some basics.

ChrisM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »

Cheers for the advice there. Sadly the block is not original to the car.

If it is not original to your car, I wonder whose car it is original to?  Could you post the partial vin stamp and other numbers?  Please don't deck the numbers, even if you wouldn't consider selling it to the owner of it's original car.  Someone may be looking for that piece of information for their car.   I know that if I ever happened to luck onto the original block for my car, I would be very appreciative and work to put the seller in a better position for releasing it. Your block may be someones, life long hunt.

anything