Author Topic: hidden vin numbers  (Read 6544 times)

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
hidden vin numbers
« on: December 02, 2007, 01:00:58 PM »
Are there any other numbers hidden other than the 2 on the firewall? There are none in the trunk lip?
Is the vin welded in on the dash?

Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: hidden vin numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
Are there any other numbers hidden other than the 2 on the firewall? There are none in the trunk lip?
Is the vin welded in on the dash?

The two hidden VINs on the upper cowl and adjacent to the heater blower opening are the only two on the body. The VIN plate is attached with rosette pop-rivets, not welded.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »
Why do you ask???
Learning more and more about less and less...

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:45:31 PM »
I heard there may be something on a subframe or something. I figured I would ask quickly on this board. I just looked friday at a shell of 71 71 blue 4spd X66 car (no engine or trans) and it had the numbers in the front by the heater and the wipers, but I wondered how one could tell if the rear clip of a car was ever replaced. The quarter were replaced at one time. Thought if there was a stamp somewhere (say in the trunk lip area or under the car, that would be nice to confirm it was the real back 1/2 of the original car. That's about it.
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

NickeyChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:32:46 PM »
Interesting topic. I just had a very knowledgeable Camaro restorer/enthusiast, tell me that there is a hidden/confidential VIN on the rear clip.

I had to tell him that in three decades experience, I had never seen the proof. Of course, no one knows everything, so I was excited to learn something new, as well as have a good way to easily determine a possible rebody.

Needless to say, I went to my shop and looked over several Camaros and found no additional Confidential VINs.

I know that some Mopars have a confidential VIN on the rear clip.

Is this closely guarded info or just miss-information?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:36:37 PM by NickeyChicago »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:51:58 PM »
Stefano,

Misinfo.
I've seen the model #, 12437, stamped on a panel in the trunk. But that's just to tell the plant it went to a Camaro, not a Caprice, etc. It is not a VIN.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:56:15 PM »
The trunk lip VIN is Mopar.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 01:21:43 AM »
Although not 1st Gen Camaro, a couple of additional data points that I have observed on GM A Bodies.

1)  I have seen the VIN stamped on the top of the LH rear frame rail (behind the wheel) of a a 67 LeMans.  There was also stamped the word PARRISH which I assumed related to the manufacturer of the frame.  Until the body was lifted off of the frame, these could not be seen.

2)  There is a date code stamped on the side of the LH rear frame rail of my 66 Chevelle.
           3   18   66 with the letters PON stamped above the 3.
           Since these are on the side of the frame rail, they are visible with the body on.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:25:17 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS