Author Topic: Painting of body components 1969 z28  (Read 10422 times)

asm69

• View Profile
Painting of body components 1969 z28
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
John Z,

Were various components of 1969 camaro's painted separately. For example, were doors, fenders, front upper and lower
valance panels, painted separate.

This weekend I began to tear apart the front of my 1969 z28 (early build oct 68). I took out the upper valance
and noticed that the painted stipes were painted even under the valance. Though not as clean or accurate as
the top of the panel. 

I included some pics that show this. Which indicates that some panels were painted separately.

asm69

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Painting of body components 1969 z28
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:52:33 PM »
Take a look at the following:  http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

Article by JohnZ which explains the whole process including painting of the various components.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:08:05 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:02:25 AM »
John Z,

Were various components of 1969 camaro's painted separately. For example, were doors, fenders, front upper and lower

This weekend I began to tear apart the front of my 1969 z28 (early build oct 68). I took out the upper valance
and noticed that the painted stipes were painted even under the valance. Though not as clean or accurate as
the top of the panel. 

I included some pics that show this. Which indicates that some panels were painted separately.

asm69

asm69, can you post some other pictures? If possible the stripe under the rear window. Maybe from the rear and the side. Thanks.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
I'm not sure how to take pictures of stripes from the sides?

Can you explain Gary L.

asm69

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »
John Z,

If you'll read the "Fisher Body Paint Shop" and "Chevrolet Paint Shop" sections of the assembly process paper (link in one of the above posts), it describes both paint processes in detail. In summary, the body shell from the firewall back was painted by Fisher with the doors and deck lid attached, and all the front sheet metal was painted separately by Chevrolet on a conveyor "buck" that held the parts in car position before any of it was assembled to the body.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 01:17:47 AM »
John, was the paint supply for the "Fisher Body Paint Shop" and "Chevrolet Paint Shop" one and the same or did each have a separate supply?  If separate, how did they assure the paint for the body shell would match the "buck" parts (Was it as simple as someone would mix a batch, of British Green for example, and split it for both shops)?

Steve

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:55 AM »
John Z,

If you'll read the "Fisher Body Paint Shop" and "Chevrolet Paint Shop" sections of the assembly process paper (link in one of the above posts), it describes both paint processes in detail. In summary, the body shell from the firewall back was painted by Fisher with the doors and deck lid attached, and all the front sheet metal was painted separately by Chevrolet on a conveyor "buck" that held the parts in car position before any of it was assembled to the body.

So each front clip part was bolted on seperately? Not lifted down in one piece?
Gary

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 03:42:46 AM »
I'm not sure how to take pictures of stripes from the sides?

Can you explain Gary L.

asm69

Stand at the side of the car looking at the other side across both stripes. And from the rear of the car looking towards the rear window down at the srtipes.
Gary

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »
John, was the paint supply for the "Fisher Body Paint Shop" and "Chevrolet Paint Shop" one and the same or did each have a separate supply?  If separate, how did they assure the paint for the body shell would match the "buck" parts (Was it as simple as someone would mix a batch, of British Green for example, and split it for both shops)?

Steve

DuPont supplied the paint and thinners (in 500-gallon tote-tanks) to both paint shops, and attempted to supply each side from the same main batch; even if the paint material was identical, differences in equipment and spray techniques could result in appearance differences. Arguments between Fisher and Chevrolet about shade, gloss and appearance were never-ending.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
So each front clip part was bolted on seperately? Not lifted down in one piece?

The complete front clip was built-up (after paint) in the sheet metal subassembly area on a conveyor buck as a unit (rad support, header, hood latch support, lower valance, inner fenders, outer fenders and extensions, radiator, wiring, headlamps, etc.) and installed to the body as a unit, followed by the hood hinges and the hood. The drivetrain, subframe, axle, etc. were installed from below as a unit after the front sheet metal was installed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 08:28:07 PM »
Its good to have you here John. Information first hand and not what somebodys uncle's cousin said.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 11:48:40 PM »
I will second that
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile