Author Topic: steering wheel  (Read 7359 times)

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
steering wheel
« on: July 22, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
I have a 68 camaro with a special interior pkg. the ss steering wheel has the two horn buttons and is ribbed at the bottom half, i have never seen ribbed only smooth.  It has 2 cracks in it, should I have them repaired and put a band-aid on it or try to locate another one, ribbed or no ribbed.  Also,  is this the correct wheel for the car?   

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
Are you talking about the 68 N30, as discussed here:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1505.0
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
Ribbed is correct.

Ed

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
Thanks,
 I will try to see what I can do about restoring it mine is exact in photo except ss in the middle and black.  If any one has any good referances for wheel restoration let me know
Thanks again

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
Tinman,

I am almost certain that someone has mentioned steering wheel repair here in CRG in the past, but I've searched and cannot find it.  Surely, someone can tell you...

Ed or anybody,

I've never seen anyone who sold a proper repo. of the 68 deluxe wheel.  But I have seen that style of wheel without the ribbing.  Do you know where they come from?  Is it from an earlier model or off a different car like a Chevy II?  Just curious!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
Actually you can fix it yourself. It's not that hard to do (I've done a few over the years). POR-15 even makes a kit to help. It's NOT cheap (around $100.00 after shipping), but there are other places as well that sell the epoxy. Marine grade works well and I've used that before. A lot cheaper than the POR-15 kit and available at any boating supply house.

If you don't want to tackle the job yourself, do a searh on Yahoo or Google for steering wheel repair and you'll find a lot of places that do repair work. I recommend you also check out some of the local shows and ask around. You might be able to find someone close.

As for the wheel without the ribs, I too have seen these but I don't remember what they're from. All 68 Chevrolet cars with the deluxe wheel used the same one in 68, so these may be from another GM division.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:35:56 PM by bertfam »

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
Eastwood sells a complete kit with the book for under $50.00 and I have used it numerous times.  Check out the link below.You have one of the hardest ones to repair because of the grooves. If you don't want to take the time to restore it, give Shawn a call at Camaro Central in KY. He had a mint wheel for sale a few months ago at a show, he may still have it. His number is 800-990-1969....................RatPack........................

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2571&itemType=PRODUCT
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

bbd564

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
If I were you I would try to do it myself or find a better wheel.  I have had the center section of that wheel done professionally and was not happy with the result. 

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:55:51 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, I am going to try to repair it myself.
Thanks again

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 01:02:12 AM »
Let us know what kit you use and how it goes...

anything