Author Topic: 1968 rs/ss fender emlem confusion  (Read 6970 times)

bigrob24_7

• View Profile
1968 rs/ss fender emlem confusion
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »
most 68 rs/ss camaros i see have a "camaro" emblem above an "ss" emblem. ive seen some original camaro ads with "rally sport" emblem above "ss". is this a big block option or was it how the early 68 rs/ss were made? any help would be appreciated

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 rs/ss fender emlem confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
bigrob24 7, I have never seen any production 68 RS/SS with the "rally sport" lettering above the SS emblems on the fenders as seen in the factory literature. My Oct 67 built RS/SS has the original fenders on it and it has the "Camaro" script above the SS emblems. There was one car that Kurt and I have seen that has the "rally sport" lettering above the SS, and I believe there is some doubt as to whether it is an original SS.

On a side note, the 68 Camaro promo's from MPC, including the MPC model kit, had the "rally sport" lettering above the SS just as in the Chevrolet literature............RatPack...............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

bigrob24_7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
thanks for your response. im wondering if it was that way for the factory ads only for promo reasons. ive never seen the "rally sport" emblem above the "ss" emblem on a 68 rs/ss either (car shows / pics etc.) just in the old camaro ads. i may put my car like that to be different but im sure it would cause confusion among my fellow first gen. friends.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »
for what its worth, if the car with the rs option didnt get the ss option also, the car got the rally sport emblems,you could get a 6 cyl with the rs option. ALSO the Z/28 option cars with the rally sport option got rally sport emblems instead of camaro behind the front wheel. dont know if this was the rule in 67 but the ss option overruled the rs badgeing even though the car also had the rs option with the ss option.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:55:32 AM »
Yep, Ron--the SS badging always overrode the RS emblems. The RS was an appearance option, whereas the SS package denoted a special engine/drivetrain, i.e. 350 or 396. You could not have a 350 or 396 car without the SS emblems, but 327 Rally Sports were very common. If it will help you, Rob, the '68 SS cars--RS or not--had SS emblems in the grille, on the fenders under the Camaro insignia, and a special cast-metal gas cap with SS on it. They also had hoods with dual "intakes" on a raised bubble. Those are just the obvious cosmetic clues. Also, look for multileaf rear springs and a 12-bolt. If you see an RS/SS car with RS badges on it, something isn't right. Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior