Author Topic: black on tailpan on ss cars  (Read 153214 times)

Buddy

• View Profile
Re: black on tailpan on ss cars
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 01:26:29 AM »
Here is an original paint from 1975

Buddy

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 01:57:25 AM »
Buddy,

Thanks for the pictures.  Looks like I did it almost right.  I stopped at the center of the weather strip channel.  I had the weather strip out.  Looks like I should have painted it more. I will have to fix that.

What ever happened to that car?  Hopefully it is still around.   
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »
Yes but I dont have too much hope for it. 67 RS/SS 396/325 4sp....too bad

X66 714

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 04:25:55 AM »
I had a NOS black door stripe decal which matched the paint that was under the trunk weaterstrip. It wasn't gloss & it wasn't flat. More like a semi gloss. It also matched the rockers....Joe

Hatman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
I think you'll find that the same black paint was used for the firewall, rocker blackout, and 396 tail panel.
    Thats what I thought ,I thought this part of the assy. process was done at the same time. I also thought this topic was put to rest two pages ago.

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
Yeah...that horse has been beaten to a pulp. Some people just can't accept that they are mistaken. I once thought I was wrong but i was mistaken as well. LOL

jk  ;D

Buddy

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »
So "satin black" it is.  Right?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Affimative. If you want to look at it without %'s. It's flat, eggshell, satin, semi, and gloss.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »
The green L78 I posted pics of is one of the most orig untouched Camaro's I have ever seen. It has a gloss tail panel. There is no way it is the same paint used to paint the firewall. I didn't pay any attention to the rockers to see if they were the same paint. Once again I would like to see a orig paint low mile survivor with Semi or satin or flat on the tailpanel.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
What green L-78? I don't see it in the last 4 pages. Only the yellow Yenko.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 07:59:59 PM »
What green L-78?

Post # 20 directly after the yellow Yenko.
68 07D SS350
John

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »
I had a NOS black door stripe decal which matched the paint that was under the trunk weaterstrip. It wasn't gloss & it wasn't flat. More like a semi gloss. It also matched the rockers....Joe

So now we're painting D90, D91 and Rally stripes satin black instead of gloss?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
The green L78 I posted pics of is one of the most orig untouched Camaro's I have ever seen. It has a gloss tail panel. There is no way it is the same paint used to paint the firewall. I didn't pay any attention to the rockers to see if they were the same paint. Once again

The Yenko you can tell it has been painted gloss.......The green you can see by the reflectiveness, the black is not gloss but 30 years of wax which would make it appear gloss.

I would like to see a orig paint low mile survivor with Semi or satin or flat on the tailpanel.

Good luck finding one that has never been waxed.
Do you own this car? If you are not the orig owner I would not assume anything.  Listen to the experts on this because you nor I are one of them.

Peace
Buddy

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
The green L78 I posted pics of is one of the most orig untouched Camaro's I have ever seen. It has a gloss tail panel. There is no way it is the same paint used to paint the firewall. I didn't pay any attention to the rockers to see if they were the same paint. Once again I would like to see a orig paint low mile survivor with Semi or satin or flat on the tailpanel.

That does not look like full gloss to me. Looks like maintained  lacquer with flattening agent. Go buy a pint of straight lacquer and shoot a test panel. And shoot a urethane test panel too. Unbuffed, unflattened black lacquer will be glossier than that L-78 tailpanel. Maintenance will bring the gloss up on semi or satin.

Even if it was an unbuffed/non reflowed black lacquer panel it would be as glossy as the adjacent green from upkeep; which it is not. That yellow Yenko is no doubt glossy. Looks like unbuffed lacquer but I could add f. agent to urethane till I achieved that look also.  I've buffed flattened lacquer as a test and it came out glossy. And if these panels were indeed semi-gloss and not satin there is no doubt that 40 years of upkeep will raise the glossiness yet. I've sprayed all this stuff so I know. But I don't claim to know exactly what the factory did. If you want to experiment buy some black and f. agent. Or buy some PPG 9248 ,9317, 9266, and straight black and have a go at it. I'm going with semi-gloss or satin. Without a f.agent pecentage weight there is no accuracy on the call.

And you can't use decals as a paint comparison. ( In regard to the other post)

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
"Listen to the experts on this because you nor I are one of them."   And the experts are ?  And you know I am not a expert because ? I have been collecting and working on Camaro's for probably 35 years and have owned probably a couple hundred. I feel pretty confident that the examples I posted were not shiny because of being waxed over the years. I make no claims to be the expert but I know what I have seen over the years and I try to pay attention to orig cars.  The Yenko was a 8000 mile car and the green L78 is a maybe 12000 mile car ?

anything