Author Topic: Split rotors  (Read 19315 times)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Split rotors
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
Years ago I worked in a shop, and the rules were that we could only machine to the minimum size, but we were allowed to put pads on undersized rotors / drums as long as we did not machine past specs. Not to encourage borderline brakes, but if this is a show piece that will be driven lightly on and off the trailer, minor surface issues might be tolerated. (could cause pulling issues)

If it's a driver get them done right. It would be stupid to crash the car because you saved a couple bucks on the brakes.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 01:36:29 AM »
No problem going under the 965 value at all, when you get down to .900-920, then it's time to look for new ones.

JM

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 04:32:06 PM »
I used the current 1-pc rotors on my car as my originals were too far gone to turn. Since I wasn't worried too much about 100% correctness and more worried about safety, I chose the 1-pc rotors. They work great with no clearance issues..............RatPack......................
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:02:22 AM by rat pack »
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
That is a real nice car Troy! 8)

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 09:29:11 PM »
Sam, as always, Thank you! I had taken the wheels off for a show that I was getting ready for, and took that shot of the rotor for some reason. Here it is a few minutes later.................RatPack...................

Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say, with a cost involved, you might find a machine shop that could weld metal to the existing rotor and machine it to the correct thickness so you could reuse the original rotors.  I know they do it to crank shafts on heavy equipment.  Just a thought...

I thought I'd add to my quote above...I've been researching the add metal to the rotors as is done to a crank shaft idea.   CAN'T be done.  My source is several hi-tech machine shops that specialize in the welding of critical machine parts.  The one that gave me the best answer to my question is a place called Aviation Welding in Bellingham, MA.  They specialize in the welding and repair of turbine engine parts for aircraft engines.

A crank shaft has metal added to a jornal by a type of equiptment that actually sprays metal to the specificly controled heated area much like powder coating would be applied as it's spun.  To do this to a rotor would be impossible to do because once the metal in a rotor was heated hot enough to accept welding it would be so brittle when it cooled it would break with the shock of a hard jab on the brakes.   Not to mention they would always be out of round from the heating.  The worst part of the job would be to even try it to see what would happed would cost over $1000.00 per rotor. 

That's why they don't rebuild rotors.  Need rotors?  Buy new one piece rotors.  By the way...I lucked out!  My rotors machined and though they are on the edge of being under size I can still use them! ;D
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 04:40:22 AM »
rotor thickness's (if i remember right) were laid down by the Fed Gov't for repair shops to use for a standard for safety-thin rotors dont take the heat as well and do provide a safety issue and shop owners(like i used to be-retired) went by these standards(for legal reasons-if you know what i mean)

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »
My original 2 piece rotors are about .990 - .995 and I can't get anybody to turn them down because they say that it won't clean up at .980. They say that .965 is the throwaway spec.
Anybody know of a place that will still turn these?
Jerry M. says they will be fine down to .930 but the trouble is finding someone to do it.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

DaveR

• My LOS L78 complete with smog
    • View Profile
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:25 PM »
Try a local machine shop and offer to pay cash so they are not held liable.  Most will do it.  If you still can't find one local, I can recommend a machine shop near me you can send them and the owner will do them.  He has a few Camaros and loves to work on them.
67 SS/RS LOS L78 Butternut Yellow
67 RS L30/M20 Butternut Yellow
68 SS/RS Yenko clone Red -
68 SS/RS L78 Tripoli Turq
67 SS/RS L48 Tahoe Turq

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
I just found a guy who will do it.
Thanks.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP