CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 03:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
107455 Posts in 12500 Topics by 4810 Members
Latest Member: rustoleumm
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  side mirrors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: side mirrors  (Read 4732 times)
Oaklyss

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:20:57 PM »

Has anyone found a way to keep outer door mirrors from moving? I have to adjust mine alot. It will move just from the wind. Thanks.

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
Now-1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:42:57 PM »

Behind the glass, there are 2 phillips screws that you use can use to increase the preasure on the pivot ball.  Problem is getting the glass out without breaking it.   I almost had the glass out of mine when it broke in 2 pieces.   Cost me $20 to have a piece of smoked mirror cut to size but it doesn't flop around any more.   Don't know of a trick to fix any other way.  Maybe someone out there has a quick fix.      J.R.
mikeyparts

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »

I JUST PU A LITTLE CLEAR SILICONE IN THE BALL SOCKET AND ADJUSTED THE MIRROR BEFORE IT DRIED
WIPE OFF EXCESS
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:43:31 PM »

Mikey.,..wish that i'd known that before I spent $20 for a new glass.  If the driver side ever goes south, I'll give it a try.

J.R.
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »

I have been trying to figure out a way to do that for the last five years, I am on my way outside right now to do the silicone thing hope it works. I was thinking along the lines of clear fingernail polish but couldnt get the nerve to do it. thanks for a great idea! roper
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 11:33:48 AM »

Blue Loctite on the ball also works.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »

hey guys, just tried the clear silicone on the side mirrors, wont stand up to the car wash. I will try the blue loctite and see how that works. actually the silicone made it worse than before,after it got wet it was very loose! If the loctite wont work I may try to take a small punch and scuff up the ball a little to give it some friction. I will let you know how this works out.
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »

I've scuffed up a lot of things with vice grips....but not always intentionally.    Wink  J.R.
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 07:45:57 AM »

the small puch did the trick, stays put at high speeds, just lay them on a wooden bench and have someone hold them while you use the punch and go all around the ball of the mirror,Roper
Oaklyss

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »

I used a combination of the replies posted here. I first scuffed up the swivel ball ( only where it wont show when adjusted) using my electric engraver tool, then put on blue locktite.
So far it seems to work fine, have not tested at 100mph yet. I will let you know. Thanks everyone!

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
Now-1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »

Has scuffing up the ball --without using locktite-- continued to work? Huh
I tried the silicone and it gave way eventually even without the car wash. Roll Eyes
My concern is using the locktite and then later needing to adjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:04:53 PM by lakeholme » Logged

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »

yeah the punch did the trick! It has been up to 100mph and did not budge. sorry it took so long to reply. I havent been on line for quite some time. my car is a convertible with the original top so as you may have guessed the back window has tarnished to the point that you can not use it so I depend soley on the side mirrorrs. Its pretty nice now that they stay put when someone closes the door and I dont have to readjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:04:21 PM by roper » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: