CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 08:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97496 Posts in 11718 Topics by 4581 Members
Latest Member: Cooper48
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  side mirrors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: side mirrors  (Read 4201 times)
Oaklyss

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:20:57 PM »

Has anyone found a way to keep outer door mirrors from moving? I have to adjust mine alot. It will move just from the wind. Thanks.

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
Now-1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire-Worlds 1st Turbocharged V8 production car-All Aluminum V8 with factory Turbo and Methanol Injection
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:42:57 PM »

Behind the glass, there are 2 phillips screws that you use can use to increase the preasure on the pivot ball.  Problem is getting the glass out without breaking it.   I almost had the glass out of mine when it broke in 2 pieces.   Cost me $20 to have a piece of smoked mirror cut to size but it doesn't flop around any more.   Don't know of a trick to fix any other way.  Maybe someone out there has a quick fix.      J.R.
mikeyparts

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »

I JUST PU A LITTLE CLEAR SILICONE IN THE BALL SOCKET AND ADJUSTED THE MIRROR BEFORE IT DRIED
WIPE OFF EXCESS
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:43:31 PM »

Mikey.,..wish that i'd known that before I spent $20 for a new glass.  If the driver side ever goes south, I'll give it a try.

J.R.
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »

I have been trying to figure out a way to do that for the last five years, I am on my way outside right now to do the silicone thing hope it works. I was thinking along the lines of clear fingernail polish but couldnt get the nerve to do it. thanks for a great idea! roper
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 11:33:48 AM »

Blue Loctite on the ball also works.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »

hey guys, just tried the clear silicone on the side mirrors, wont stand up to the car wash. I will try the blue loctite and see how that works. actually the silicone made it worse than before,after it got wet it was very loose! If the loctite wont work I may try to take a small punch and scuff up the ball a little to give it some friction. I will let you know how this works out.
69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »

I've scuffed up a lot of things with vice grips....but not always intentionally.    Wink  J.R.
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 07:45:57 AM »

the small puch did the trick, stays put at high speeds, just lay them on a wooden bench and have someone hold them while you use the punch and go all around the ball of the mirror,Roper
Oaklyss

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »

I used a combination of the replies posted here. I first scuffed up the swivel ball ( only where it wont show when adjusted) using my electric engraver tool, then put on blue locktite.
So far it seems to work fine, have not tested at 100mph yet. I will let you know. Thanks everyone!

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
Now-1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire-Worlds 1st Turbocharged V8 production car-All Aluminum V8 with factory Turbo and Methanol Injection
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »

Has scuffing up the ball --without using locktite-- continued to work? Huh
I tried the silicone and it gave way eventually even without the car wash. Roll Eyes
My concern is using the locktite and then later needing to adjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:04:53 PM by lakeholme » Logged

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair -- presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA -- is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast." --September 18-21, 2014
roper

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »

yeah the punch did the trick! It has been up to 100mph and did not budge. sorry it took so long to reply. I havent been on line for quite some time. my car is a convertible with the original top so as you may have guessed the back window has tarnished to the point that you can not use it so I depend soley on the side mirrorrs. Its pretty nice now that they stay put when someone closes the door and I dont have to readjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:04:21 PM by roper » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: