Author Topic: steering wheels - '69  (Read 13086 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
steering wheels - '69
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »
Was the "comfort grip" (brushed metal, three spoke hub with plastic rim - similar in apperance to wood grain wheel but without the fakey wood grain ;D) available for the '69?  If so, what option code?  If so, was  it only available in black?  Or was it color keyed to the interior?
thanks

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: steering wheels - '69
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:56:06 PM »
Flowjoe, I'm not sure about the colors, but I believe the rim was covered with foam, not plastic.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »
Not available in 69.

Ed

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »
So when and on what cars was this wheel available?   I know that it is not available for 2nd gen camaros yet one sees these wheels all over the place (often billed as Camaro wheels...apparently erroneously)  I know Corvettes got them for sure.

tom - not foam but more of a soft plastic/rubber

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »
HERE'S a really good thread about this wheel.

Ed

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 11:47:41 PM »
HERE'S a really good thread about this wheel.

Ed

Thanks for the link, I don't know that I'd call it a "really good thread" ;) as it is mostly arguing and nitpicking about forum etiquette and some peoples need for a "manpon" ;D.  What I did come away with was that the wheel was listed as an option but never ordered therefore not a Camaro item.  Too bad as they are neat looking wheels...have one in my '70 Vette and have seen them in '69 Camaros (add-on, reproduction of course)

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 03:48:11 AM »
Flowjoe,

Couple of thoughts, they just look right on the 69.  I replace my orginal (which is being stored) with a repop "Corvette Style" wheel.  It looked great, however two of the spokes pulled away from the rim.  I would stay away from the repops.
I've since replace it with what is suppose to be a 69 Corvette wheel and it's perfect.  Nothing like "Genuine GM".

Cheers,

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »
Flowjoe,

Couple of thoughts, they just look right on the 69.  I replace my orginal (which is being stored) with a repop "Corvette Style" wheel.  It looked great, however two of the spokes pulled away from the rim.  I would stay away from the repops.
I've since replace it with what is suppose to be a 69 Corvette wheel and it's perfect.  Nothing like "Genuine GM".

Cheers,

Kris
Good to know on the  repro'd rim.  I have never liked the wood grain wheel (love the design HATE the fakey molded plastic woodgrain) and always thought the "cushion-grip" (or "comfort-grip" in one prefers) was a better choice.  Since I am working on a colored interior I thought one that was color keyed would be cool.  Now I know that the wheel never came on Camaros (let alone in colors)...so I have a choice: 
1) put it on because I think it is cool and listen to all of the Camaro Police and "experts"  ::) (even the real ones like CRG members) kibitz about the car
 or
2) leave it off in favor of a more correct wheel and not listen to all of the kibitzing.

For those who are going to contribute the thought that it is my car and I can do what I want - I appreciate your input and support but I am aware of that line of thinking - I just have to decide if it is worth continually listening to the constant kibitzing everytime I put the car where it can be seen.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
I also prefer the c-grip wheel, and if I come across a reasonably priced original would pick it up, and use it. But then I don't have an ultra rare high bucks car. It's just a PJ 307 glide.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
grant make really good wood wheels that are actually wood.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 11:11:23 PM »
grant make really good wood wheels that are actually wood.
The wheel itself is cool looking and very old school (my uncle had one on his 65 mustang back in 1969) but the adaptorto mount it  is really clunky and ugly

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:07:08 AM »
60-70% of the cars that I inspect on the road have this comfort-grip wheel.  I have no clue where everyone has received their information about using it on 1969 Camaros.  It was installed in the Corvette and 1970 Chevelle as an option.

Jerry

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »
60-70% of the cars that I inspect on the road have this comfort-grip wheel.  I have no clue where everyone has received their information about using it on 1969 Camaros.  It was installed in the Corvette and 1970 Chevelle as an option.

Jerry
Interesting, so Chevelles received it also?  What about other Chevys like full size or impala?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
The NK1 Cushioned-Rim steering wheel was annouced as a 1969 Camaro option in a Communications Kit and is listed in the April 1969 Dealer Ordering Info. That is why people believe it was available. No documented factory installation is known.
Learning more and more about less and less...

GIBSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »
Didn't the 69 firebirds have something like a comfort grip on them?