Author Topic: 69 Camaro How many left.  (Read 26759 times)

ferrarimanf355

• Kunoichis dig the Z28
    • View Profile
    • Anime News Network
Re: 69 Camaro How many left.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »
I feel like I should play devil's advocate here...
Good points. Though the cobras were never produced in numbers. The cost of building one of those foreign body jokes is quite expensive, so hopefully they wont hurt price of real ones. I would imagine without a VIN to rivet in that these could not be titled as 69 Camaros. Titles should also read as a rebody, Gm was wrong in allowing them to be called Camaros when they should be called a kit car just like Cobras. I will never buy a new GM product after they did this, they soiled their name
There are a few things I should mention about this. Obviously, I disagree with the "GM soiled their name by doing this" statement. Obviously, they soiled their name by producing front-wheel drive V8 powered cars.  ;D

Secondly, what "foreign body joke" are you talking about? I know that many Cobra replicas are of poor quality, but the Factory Five and Superfomance replicas look spot-on, and you can build the Factory Five one for about $20K, provided you do the labor and provide Mustang donor components.  :)

Anyways, I think that GM is doing the right thing here. Although the thought of building a Camaro from scratch using the re-pop body sounds tempting, (I might do that...), the real intent of the re-pop body was to provide an alternative for anyone with a rusted-out body, right? If faced with the choice of hours of hard labor to put on new body panels, or having the work done for you, which one would you take? The latter, every time. I know I would. It would eliminate one time-consuming task and let me focus on the other aspects of getting the car up and running. Yes, I know that you can also use a body shop to graft on new panels, but what about the cost of labor? I'm pretty certain that the cost of labor, plus the cost of the body panels, would total more than the $10K being asked for the repop. (Of course, if I'm wrong, please correct me... 8)) There's always the chance of mistakes happening, right? Any mistakes would equal more money being spent to fix the problem. Wouldn't you rather save money by buying the repop and using the saved money on other aspects of the car? I personally think the benifits of the repop outweigh the disadvantages. Of course, you can disagree with me, but that's my stance on the issue.

(Of course, it should be noted that I like taking unpopular opinions. I think the English language dub of Naruto is great, that the new Dodge Charger is a sexy design, and that Van Halen was better with Sammy Hagar. Take that as you will.  ;D)
I think that since the bodies are reproductions, there will be ways to spot them.  Plus, the bodies will just "look" like Camaros, the title, I suppose, will show that it's not real Camaro.  Only the fools will be fooled.

Larry
Agreed. If someone does use the repop to build a Camaro from scratch, it would probably be for a pro touring machine, not an exact replica. If anyone does use the repop to make an exact replica and try to pass it off as one while they're selling it, they're probably scumbags anyways.  >:(

Anyways, I'll conclude this post with this link:
http://www.yearone.com/Articles/tech3.asp?AID=71
It may not change anybody's mind, but it's a good read anyways.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 05:54:33 PM by ferrarimanf355 »

ferrarimanf355

• Kunoichis dig the Z28
    • View Profile
    • Anime News Network
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »
Did I just kill this thread?  ???

project69

• View Profile
    • www.classicgms.com
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 10:17:34 PM »
i dont know.....but in about 12 months there will be one more that i know about..:thumbsup:

ferrarimanf355

• Kunoichis dig the Z28
    • View Profile
    • Anime News Network
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »
i dont know.....but in about 12 months there will be one more that i know about..:thumbsup:
As in, you're building one yourself? Sounds pretty good to me! :)

project69

• View Profile
    • www.classicgms.com
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »
As in, you're building one yourself? Sounds pretty good to me! :)
full on restoration...yep..   i might do a z28888888/rs clone...unsure right now...i might drop a 454 in it but that might look a little odd....z28 with a 454 in it..lol

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 03:55:50 PM »
I don't think that a 454 would look odd in a Z.   I've seen plenty with automatics  and drum brakes.
Yeah.....right.     J.R.

project69

• View Profile
    • www.classicgms.com
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »
I don't think that a 454 would look odd in a Z. I've seen plenty with automatics and drum brakes.
Yeah.....right. J.R.
lol...well obviously i will be upgrading...actually ill be dropping a 350 in it...

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 06:51:08 PM »
Just a small opinion to interject.  This industry and our infatuation with the 1st gen should be based on appreciation for the cars, not strictly investment potential.  I will be the first to admit that knowing your vehicle is financially sound is nice, but this replacement shell is more appealing than a still half rusty hull with a bunch of rust still lurking in the seams.  Just make sure YOU are smarter than the idiots that will be pirating these shells and we can all live on the same field.  As it is now a fools beware market, this is just a new angle on the same old idea--making a nice car that you should enjoy.  Dave

anything