Author Topic: new camaro for your data base  (Read 10159 times)

gypsy jim

• View Profile
new camaro for your data base
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:36:51 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Jimmy. I am new to camaro ownership ( 1 month or so ), new to CRG and to Team Camaro. I am enjoying reading all the postings and sage advise that is dispensed. One of my best friends is moving to Austrailia and sold me his camaro that he has owned for 25 years. It is a 1967, convertible, SS-350, L-48(nom), 4 speed, 12 bolt non-posi, deep water blue, parchment- deluxe, A50 stratobuckets, power top, tinted glass, folding rear seat, pwr steering, non-power 4 piston front brakes, white top, factory delco am-fm. When my friend obtained the car it had a beat 283 and raggy front fenders so he replaced the motor era correct (I think) 350, and changed over to RS fenders, grill, hideaways (electric), reverse lights, turn signals etc. The car runs and drives great but needs lots of TLC to include (but certainly not limited to) paint, new upolstery, control arm bushings, mono-leaf bushings, F&R shocks, heater core, and convertible top, just to name a few of the bigger things. And just like the old farm house I own, I know I'll never be done. Anyway here are the numbers:

04A                    K
67-12667          NOR105585
797-Z                 E-1
EDL        2L       3S
4P

Vin: 124677N205552

If you guys notice any anomalies, let me know, I'll post pics as soon as I borrow a camera.
Jimmy   
jimmy
67 RS/SS L48 VERT

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: new camaro for your data base
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »
Here is how everything decodes:
1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
67 = convertible body
7 = 1967 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
205552 = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 105585
04A = Built the First week of April.
67-12667 = Custom Interior Convertible.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
797 = Custom Parchment/Black Bucket Seats.
Z = (A50) Strato Bucket Seats (without headrests).
E-1 = Lower Color is Deepwater Blue and the Convertible Top Color is White.
K = Interior paint is Black
Options:
1E = (A01) Tinted All Glass
1D = (C06) Power top convertible
1L = (A67) Fold-down rear seat
2L = (M20) 4-speed floor shifter
3S = (Z23) Interior Decor group
4P = (L48) SS 350 or (L30) 327-275H

Do you have the trans and axle codes?  Where does the speedometer cable come through the firewall?
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

gypsy jim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:55:59 PM »
Daniel,
Thanks for the reply. I went out to the garage. The speedo cable looks like it comes through the firewall just below and to the left (facing the motor)of the windshield wiper motor, goes behind the distributor and down towards the trans. The grommet is no longer attached to the wall. As for the trans and rear end codes I don't have them. I looked under the car with a flashlight, trans would be hard to see, pumpkin of axle is easier. Looks to me as though the car would have to be in the air to get trans code but maybe with some cleaning I could get rear end code. I must admit I don't know where these codes are located. I was reading a thread about cocktail shakers. I didn't know I was supposed to have them ! I compared some posted pictures of the trunk area with my trunk. Looks like mine (rear) are gone. I don't know about the fronts because I don't know where they are. (So much to learn !) Anyhow, while I got you, was it a common practice to remove them ? Should I live without them ?  Also, I'm sorry I can't make to the Carlisle show. Living so close I should probabaly be shot for not attending. I have a friend building a chevelle, he says to go to the show without money (I spent it all on the purchase of the car) would only drive me crazy and that I would be embarrased as all of your guys cars are 10's. I told him that the first part of his statement was probably correct, but I'm betting the second part is false. My car is basically unmolested, and the best thing I could do is to let you guys give me advice while looking at the car, so I don't do something stupid and unreverseable.
Thanks, Jimmy
jimmy
67 RS/SS L48 VERT

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:00:26 AM »
I must admit I don't know where these codes are located.

Jimmy -

Read this link and it will tell you where to find the drivetrain "codes" on your Camaro:

http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml

Have fun!    :)

Paul

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
Anyhow, while I got you, was it a common practice to remove them ? Should I live without them ?  Also, I'm sorry I can't make to the Carlisle show. Living so close I should probabaly be shot for not attending.

Jimmy,
  I don't know how common it was to remove them, but I know it was done.  The only reason I can thing of removing them would be because of the weight.  You can live with out them, but probably should be looking for a set.
Come to Carlisle if at all possible.  You will learn a lot faster by looking at the cars and talking to people then you will by other means.
Daniel
CRG
My Camaro

gypsy jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:59:33 AM »
Guys,
I used the link (very helpful, thanks) and crawled under the rear and did some cleaning. I found this code: QL 0331 G2
However, I found it front facing but directly over the mono leaf -passenger's side of the tube. Next will be trans codes (when I get her in the air). And thanks, your right, I need to go to Carlisle. I've never been. Maybe I can get parole for a Sunday visit.
jimmy
67 RS/SS L48 VERT

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »
Looks like your car has it's original axle.  Is the radius rod on the axle?  If so is it round or square?
Daniel
CRG
My Camaro

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
Jimmy,

I tried the Sunday visit a couple years back. Wasn't a productive day. Venders and everyone else was concentrating on getting out. Saturday would be a better choice. I plan to be there for Saturday this year. I need to do some learning.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

gypsy jim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:44:05 PM »
Guys,
Saturday is out for me, the wife is working and I have my 9 year old. Do you guys go to the fall show ? My radius rod is there and square. The friend that sold me the camaro is not moving to Austrailia until October. As he is packing to move he is finding boxes full of parts for me. It's like Christmas every time he brings me another. I pump him for info about the car whenever I can without being a pest. He is pretty sure rear and trans are original. He says the motor is a 2 bolt main 350 with large journals. (He mentioned original motors for that year had smaller journals. Is this true ?) He says it has a mild cam, Offenhauser high-rise, rebushed and rebuilt Quadrajet, Flowtek (sp?) headers, 2.5 in. stainless pipes and stainless turbo mufflers. After his visits, I try to write down as much as I can. In my notes, I also have that the motor has "smog heads-low compression" but I could run 64 CC heads.(he lost me there but it probably makes sense to you guys) He said he estimated the horsepower @ +/-  300. He rebuild and installed the motor around 25,000 miles ago. I looked on the heads at the place where the numbers are recorded but that area was painted over with the rest of the block.
I noticed the car also has frame connectors. They were notched for the cross supports. I asked him about this and he said they are only bolted in, not welded, and that when he bought them companies were not making them for verts. That's all I got for now. Thanks     
jimmy
67 RS/SS L48 VERT

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:04:38 PM »
Saturday is out for me, the wife is working and I have my 9 year old.

Bring the 9 year old :)  Sunday is ok if you get there early.

He says the motor is a 2 bolt main 350 with large journals. (He mentioned original motors for that year had smaller journals. Is this true ?)

The 350 never had small journals.  The original 350 was rated at 295hp.  The casting numbers on the heads will be under the valve covers.  The block code should be stamped on the passenger side in front of the head.  The casting numbers for the block are on the top back side of the block.
This link should help you: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml
Daniel
CRG
My Camaro

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Bring the kid! I hope to see you there.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

gypsy jim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
Guys,
Thanks, again-great info. Maybe I'll scrape the paint off of the numbers pad this weekend and find out about the block. The valve covers may wait because their not leaking now and you know they will if I look (murphy's law). It's an NOM motor regardless. As far as bringing the boy, I don't know. He'd get fussy 4 hours in and I'd have to buy him his own camaro to settle him down.  Maybe I can farm him out to a babysitter and come Saturday, will see. I'd hate to miss a chance to see the show for the first time, and have to wait another year to meet you guys.
Jimmy 
jimmy
67 RS/SS L48 VERT