Author Topic: What are the factory correct 67-68 convertible sunshade vinyl piping clips?  (Read 1697 times)

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
I have a pair of original black Madrid grain vinyl sunshades (i.e., sun visors) on my 68 Camaro convertible.  Recently, I came into possession of another pair of original 68 (or 67?) convertible black sunshades that I was intending on restoring for another person's car.  What piqued my interest was the shape of the vinyl piping clips on the pair that I just acquired.  The sunshades on my car have the same shape chrome-plated steel clips on the vinyl piping both inboard (i.e., by the inside rear view mirror support) and outboard (i.e., by the sunshade support assembly).  All of the clips were magnetic and appear to be stainless steel, not chromed steel.  Some stainless steel is magnetic so it is not a defining method to rule it out.  The other pair needing to be restored have the same inboard vinyl piping clips as on my car; however, the other pair have rectangular vinyl piping clips on the outboard side.  Attached, are photos of the two different piping clips on the other sunshades needing restoration. 

The black convertible sunshades appear to be the same [see reference #1] in both 1967 and 1968 model years as part number 7666122 under Group 10.203.

I guess it's possible that there were two different manufacturers of the sunshades or the clips changed between 1967 and 1968 model years even though the part number remained the same?  Does anybody know definitively which vinyl piping clips are factory correct and are they stainless steel or chromed steel?

Bernie

References: [1] Chevrolet Parts & Accessories Catalog P&A 34 (1967, November 1), p. 574
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
Original Vinly April 1967 convertible sun visor

rare396bronze

• View Profile
My 06A 1968 originals is like your originals no square.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
1968 11E originals

jeff68

• View Profile
My originals are rounded as well.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

bertfam

• View Profile
Here's my 1968 LA 05D convertible

Ed

Sauron327

• View Profile
I have originals in my parts inventory and my 67 driver. They are not stainless. Plated steel, rounded. I'd post pics but this site is not user friendly. I can text you pics.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:26:41 PM by Sauron327 »

cook_dw

• View Profile
Interesting both my 68 cars use a different material.  I assume it has to do with convertible vs hardtop.

Photos from the 03D L78 714 interior

cook_dw

• View Profile
Photos of a set I have for sale.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
Looks like there’s a difference between hard top and convertible chrome ends…I know Vinly & fabric materials are also different from hardtop to convertible.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
My convertible visors are original but I wonder……..if the interior is deluxe, did the visor material change?

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
Here's an update.

A friend of mine had a pair of original 1969 Camaro convertible sunshades so I posted a photo of his 1969 convertible ones next to my original 1968 convertible ones.  Both were Madrid grain vinyl.  The noticeable differences, however, were the width at the rearview mirror support end and the outboard piping clips (i.e., nearest the side window).  See attached photo.

The 1967 and 1968 black convertible sunshades had the same part number 7666122 (under Group 10.203); whereas, 1969 black convertible sunshades had part number 8766289.  It would be reasonable to assume that with the same part numbers that both 1967 and 1968 sunshades were identical.

Bernie
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

anything