Author Topic: Speedo Cable Broke  (Read 4777 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Speedo Cable Broke
« on: January 06, 2023, 05:56:01 PM »
Went for a ride yesterday in one of my Camaros. Trying to get some drive time in... Driving along, looked down, going 60. Looked down a minute later it was on Zero. Pulled the trans gear, it was perfect. Pulled the cable out and it broke 2" from the dash connection. Got the 2" broken piece out.
Searched many places online and NAPA and O'reilly... ALL have 63". I stretched out the cable with the broken piece and measured it 3 times, it is 62"? Will 63" work? Where does the slack go? I assume they are measuring the longest point, which would be the insert?
Anybody have a source, part# for a correct length cable.

1968 Camaro Z/28 survivor. No past modifications, no cruise control. Thanx... Danny

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Speedo Cable Broke
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 06:05:38 PM »
I have no input on your question but Im curious what the code on the cable jacket would be?  CA possibly?

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 07:06:06 PM »
I have seen something, but didn't take notice of the white ink. I will take a look. Car is Norwood built. Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
CA it is..  Danny

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:48:49 PM »
You have a valid point, the Square recess pockets in the speedo and trans drive gears MUST have some clearance (i.e.0 Free space) plus the side clearance in the sheath and the cable compressibility to add up to allow a 63" to work.
If it is not a huge risk of expense go for the 63"'er
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 01:56:10 AM »
Pretty sure you can cut off 1/2” off each end with a dremel tool.  Just make sure the end that goes into the speedometer matches what you have originally.  A friend of mine with a 71 Corvette did that and it worked.  He cut most off the cable closest to the trans.
Good luck!

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 03:53:57 AM »
I thought about the 63". But if the 62" worked for 54 years 8 months... why change it.

I also thought about the cutting. I was going to cut a 1/2" off each end. As the rigid compressed square is about an inch on each side. I will take your advice and cut 5/8ths" off the trans side, remainder off the dash side and see what happens. It also had a little aluminum collar on the dash side. I put the cable in a vise and used a metric socket and tapped it off the end. Easy to do cause the cable was only 2" inches long because of the break. That would have been very hard to get off if it was a full-length cable. Danny

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 05:35:13 PM »
Do we at least get pictures?

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 11:26:30 PM »
This car is known here. Danny

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12453.0

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 01:21:05 PM »
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 04:30:31 PM »
Chick,
 Yes, car was sold and then bought back. See Below.. All the cars are up in the air. I have my next CT Scan Tom at 10am. I get one every 3 months with contrast dye. Also the Cancer in my throat is back. 4 Nodules the size of peas on the left side. As previously mentioned, I have denied all treatment. Last results show:

Helical Tomography of the chest is performed during intravenous administration of 70 cc Isovue-370. Sagittal and coronal
  reformatted images of the thorax era submitted. There significantly enlarged supraclavicular lymph nodes with-in the image Z
  axis field-of-view.
  Atherosclerotic changes are noted with-in the coronary arteries. Central airways are patent with no evidence of end bronchial.
  There are multiple bilateral pulmonary metastases nodules that have increased in size in both lungs.

dannystarr
View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Car[s} Back in Garage!
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »
Car BACK in the Garage, Raquel
Thru some unfortunate/fortunate circumstances, some creative financing by myself and my girlfriend, and some good ol’ American Ingenuity…our old ’68 Butternut Yellow Z/28 is back in the garage! I mentioned to Jon, Skip, Chick and the guys at dinner at Gibson’s last November at MCACN, that there was a possibility that this could take place. The buyers had not finished paying us the total amount. I let them slide as they are 35 year friends. SO it actually worked out in our favor as I was able to buy it back. I had a guy from New Zealand that wanted the car BAD for a few more $. But sold it to a friend. Could have been a “FRIEND RUINING” disaster as they STILL owed us 15K! BUT, I flipped it right back around and got the deal done. Between ALL of us…I don’t think his wife wanted to do the deal in the first place. So she is probably happy it’s gone. And my buddy is fine with it all, as he needed an influx of cash. So YAY!!!
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14070.0

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 06:11:49 PM »
 :(

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 07:42:37 PM »
Don't wanna take up any more space than I already have about health issues. PM me only please. Unless you have info on Speedo cable length or source for purchase. Thanx... Danny

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 09:53:35 PM »
69s are different where they go into the speedo housing

anything