Author Topic: Vin and other numbers...Am I interpreting correctly?  (Read 12894 times)

cameronicki

• View Profile
Vin and other numbers...Am I interpreting correctly?
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »
Hi all,

I have been reviewing this site for most of the morning and feel I have fairly interpreted the information that was available.  I have a 67 camero that my husband acquired about 2 years ago and it's in need of tender, loving restoration that we plan on giving it.  Here is all of the information from the plate located in front of the drivers side, and the numbers from the inside door jamb.  Unfortunatly this car doesn't have the original motor, but we have the transmission and bell housing and majority of the original parts to it (door panels, trim, console, etc.). 

Line for line, but I am not going to put in the spacing:
General Motors Corporation
03A   F295
ST  67-12437   LOS - 24968  Body
TR  760-Z     H-2  Paint
2LG - 3K
4P  5Y
Body by Fisher

The numbers in the door jamb-
124377L144920

What I have so far is that it's chevy, camero, 8 cylinder engine, coupe body, 67 model, los angeles assembly.  How do I know what number it was that was built?  I want to know if this is a Z28, and how rare it is.  In it's condition right now it's not worth much, but that's not really important because we have no plans to sell it.  Any help of information would be greatly appreciated.  :D

Thank you,
Nicki
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:08:40 PM by cameronicki »

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Vin and other numbers...Am I interpreting correctly?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:48:26 PM »
Welcome Nicki. Nice to have someone of the female persuasion on board!

As for your questions, no you don't have a Z28, but you DO have either an SS-350 or an L30/M20 car. Both very nice engine options. The SS-350 had a production number of 29,270 (Coupes and Convertibles) and the L30 was 25,287 (again, Coupes and Convertibles). Since total production was just over 200,000 cars in 1967, that would mean your car is in the 10-15 percent range. Of course, you can also narrow that down by removing the 3 speed manual transmission and the automatic transmission cars from the numbers, since your's is a 4 speed car. Rarity is one of those things that can get complicated. In reality, ALL first generation Camaro's are now rare since a lot of them are no longer around!

Your car was assembled during the first week of March, 1967 (03A) and the last 6 digits of your VIN (144920) is the way to tell what number car you have.

Good luck and keep us posted on the restoration.

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:17 PM »
cameronicki -

Did you intentionality spell Camaro wrong in your user name?    ???

Paul

cameronicki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
Paul,

Unfortunately I did not intentionally spell it incorrectly, although I wish I had to spare myself the embarassment of appearing ignorant.  Not to be rude, but of all questions that I could have been asked, that was absolutly the last one that I expected would be of importance to anyone.  I am sure that many appreciate you asking and getting clarification on that.  :D

Nicki
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:27:42 PM by cameronicki »

cameronicki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
Ed,

Thank you for the warm welcome.  Would you say it would be easier to find original parts for the camaro that we own?  Are there specific places (websites, parts magazines) that we would be able to find original parts or is it pretty much hit or miss? 

On the front fender there was an emblem that had Z28 on it.  Was it common for the manufacturer to place those emblems on the SS350 or L30/M20?  I did some more research yesterday about the L30/M20, it's amazing how similiar but vastly different it was to the Z28, and that there is little documentation on the differences. 

I enjoy this site and board, there is so much information and it's good to connect with other owners.  If you'd like I can post pictures of what we have right now, it's not much to look at and needs tons of work...but when it's done it's going to be a beauty, even if it's just to me.  :D

Thanks,
Nicki

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Nicki the factory wouldn't have put the Z28 emblem on the fender unless it was a real Z28. This would have been something added by a prior owner. It's VERY common to see Camaro's with Z28 emblems on them. Too common in fact. Chevrolet originally built only 602 Z28's in 1967. Nowdays you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!!

>:(

SOME original parts are still available from your local Chevrolet dealer! The one's that aren't are harder to find, but places like ebay are good starting points. You'll have to compete with other buyers, but sometimes you can still find good deals. There are also places like Classic Industries that deal in original and reproduction parts, while others like Rick's First Generation and D&R Classic that have original, reproduction and used parts. And of course, there are always swap meets, with a couple of the largest being the Pomona Swap Meet in Pomona, California, the Hershey Swap Meet in Hershey, Pennsylvania and the Cars at Carlisle in Carlisile, Pennsylvania. There are others so check around for something near you.

By all means post a few pictures of the "before" shots. As you progress, post more. We always like to see a car taken back from the brink of destruction!

Ed

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
Nicki:
Welcome to CRG, there is another website that deals with Camaro of all generation called Team Camaro  www.camaro.net they also have a classified section broken down by 1st,2nd.3rd and 4th generation cars and parts. A few of the "Gurus" here are quite involved with this forum also. Also swap meets are a great place to look. I started looking ont he web for Car shows and swap meets in Wisconsing to get a search going.To be a name dropper, JohnZ, Lakeholme are two that really know there stuff regarding the first gen camaro.
There are quite a few more that are willing and able to help when you need it. have fun doing whatever you plan on doing and enjoy!!!!

dab67

Dave

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
eBay also is a good resource for parts.
However it seems lately, to be lots of fraud around- so be carefull buying stuff there.

as was mentioned before www.drclassic.com   -- they are my favorite source.

cameronicki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »
Everyone,

Thank you for the abundance of links!  I have a lot of looking around to do.  I tried to upload a few of the pictures that I have of it, but the file size was too large.  I will get them up ASAP, I just need to resize them.  When we first got it it had a fair amount of rust and since then we have sanded down and sandblasted the rust and put a primer coat on it to keep it safe for the time being.

Nicki

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »
Yes, Nicki, welcome!

I'd agree with any of the parts sources already listed.  Let me put in a good word for my friends at Classic Muscle: http://oldmusclecars.com/  They are out of NC.  I mention them because they are often helpful with phone orders.  I've ordered parts from California (to NC), however, and received them within a few days.

Take a look at this post on third party hosting of pictures: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1643.0

CRG has taught me the only way to learn is to ask!  And seriously, no offense to Paul, but my spell checker says "Camaro" is not a word!  Actually, it's not... it's an experience.   ;D

My wife is going to become a certified AACA judge at a school in May.  Cannot get her to post here.  She is only interested in Pre-War cars.  If they had made Camaro in the 30s, she'd be all over it!

And Dave, I appreciate your confidence.  But let me be clear!  John (and the CRG) has knowledge.  I've got opinions...   ::)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:09:15 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 03:24:38 AM »
Nicki -

Let me start by apologizing up front!  I truly wasn't trying to embarrass you.  I was genuinely curious about why people spell Camaro that way.  I see it spelled that way a lot, especially on Ebay, and just wanted to find out if there was any reason behind it.  Like lakeholme (Phillip) said, "CRG has taught me the only way to learn is to ask!" and so that's what I did!  No hard feelings!   :)

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 03:32:01 AM »
Nicki the factory wouldn't have put the Z28 emblem on the fender unless it was a real Z28. This would have been something added by a prior owner. It's VERY common to see Camaro's with Z28 emblems on them. Too common in fact. Chevrolet originally built only 602 Z28's in 1967. Nowdays you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!!

Ed -

Don't forget, in 1967 the factory didn't put Z/28 emblems on any Camaros, not even on the 602 real Z/28s!   ;)

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »
Good point Paul. I wasn't even thinking!!

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 03:46:27 AM »
my spell checker says "Camaro" is not a word!

Phillip -

Per F.J.R. Incremona's book, Camaro 1967-1969 Fact Book, "the word Camaro is defined as: A good friend, comrade, or confidant."  Talk to you soon, my camaro!   ;D

Paul

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »
Paul,

OK... OK... But as the story goes, they mistook the spanish word, "camarada" or the french word "comarade", which does mean friend and confidant  But then the press got a hold of it and pointed out that the word was closer to the spanish word "camaron" for "shrimp".
Where I'm from, we wish they had stuck with "Panther".

So, yes, talk with you soon, my friend!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Felipe, la casa del lago
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:13:59 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything