Author Topic: Lemans Blue 69 Z/28 - 3 Owner Car w/ 49,000 Miles  (Read 30100 times)

Daytona Z

• View Profile
Re: Lemans Blue 69 Z/28 - 3 Owner Car w/ 49,000 Miles
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »
Yup,

Real clear on the 417 valve covers since learning those differences from you and a few others. Thanks for that. I've missed a couple of pairs on eBay but will snag a pair one of these days. Also looking for the AAC valve cover stand that supports the hose from the booster, and the fuel line clamp for the right rear. Got everything else dialing right in and have been busy perfecting a lot of the smaller things in this car. I think I'm 99.9% correct on factory bolts and correct head markings now.

Moving along nicely here now and should be finished up in 4-5 weeks time. Planning to have it out for spring thaw here in town.
Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 01:54:04 AM »
That AAC bracket that holds the booster hose is a tough one. I have been looking for one for my white 69 for a while. Of course I have seen a couple, but pricing was off quite a bit. Keep up the good work!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JonQ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
I haven't posted here in a while so I thought I'd take a few minutes to add some pictures and the car being cleaned up on the underside. With the driveline now out of the car, I'm currently working to remove all of the black spray paint added by the previous owner and that's coming along nicely.
May I ask, what did you use to remove the black spray paint added by the previous owner? I also want to do this on my car.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:21:06 AM by KurtS »

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 04:01:00 AM »
A few people have asked what I am using to cut the spray paint from everything that was painted. This included the floors, frame rails, engine bay, and the front & rear suspension areas. First off, it looked like a lot of this was enamel spray paint, and I don't think the previous owner or mechanic who painted everything did a very good job of the prep as some of it came off rather easily, and there was no undercoating except for inside the wheel wells. The paint removal product I researched and decided to use was Lloyd's Fight Back Graffiti remover. It's a biodegradable product that has claims of removing spray paint from multiple surfaces while not harming the original or underlying finish. I went by the application chart and directions on the side of the aerosol spray bomb and started with a small test area to ensure it did not hurt the original floor finish. Check!

Spraying in control bursts I applied the spray pattern to a small 12" x 12" area at a time and let it set up for 1 to 2 minutes. I then used a white (ultra-fine) and/or green (fine) Scotch Brite pad to work the area in either a directional or circular motion to move the spray paint around while it was being softened by the chemicals. I could see the chemicals softening the paint as I worked it and was careful to keep the work area wet where the chemical also became the lubricant for the pad. This also kept the strokes from being too aggressive. Just a light scuff with the pad was all that was needed to work through the softened spray paint while it was still wet. Getting the area wet and letting the product set up for 1-2 minutes was the key as it began to break down each layer of spray paint. It also served to soak and lubricate the Scotch Brite pad and this keeps the process from getting too aggressive or working beyond a single layer of paint at a time. Once it started to thicken or dry I would quickly rinse it down and wipe it off using clean cotton rags. The product calls for a water rinse to neutralize the chemicals. I tried that but it didn't serve well to remove the paint as it started to dry and it seemed to gum up and became tacky again. I switched to using brake clean from a commercial pump sprayer and this was far better at removing all contaminants in a simple swipe. 

I would then hit it with one more rinse using brake clean which cleaned each area very nicely. As a safety precaution, I would often open the overhead and shop man doors to air out the shop of any fumes as they build quickly. Concerned with shop safety, I also wore a full face (dual cartridge) respirator mask and good rubber gloves. I also made sure the furnace was off and any source of spark was eliminated prior to using any of these products. It would be better using these chemicals outdoors or in a better environment, but being that it's winter up here and temps are kind of cold, I was working in a heated 3 bay garage that I use for my personal workshop. In any case, you can see from the results here that this product is excellent to soften up and remove any spray paints from the original surfaces and produces excellent results. Not everyone is comfortable with brake clean for rinsing things down, but I thought it was better than many other solvent-based products and worked effectively for this project. Here's the link to a technical datasheet for Lloyd's product.

https://www.lloydslaboratories.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Fight-Back-Graffiti-Remover.pdf

You can buy it in a spray bomb as seen above, or you can buy it in a bulk gallon container and dispense from a large pump-action spray bottle. Just be sure you wear gloves and eye protection. It claims to be a fairly safe chemical and is biodegradable but it states that the spray mist should not be inhaled. Again, I chose a mask to avoid breathing in any fumes or mist caused by the spray, and also wore a mask that integrates full eye protection. A must for working under the car and also while spraying brake cleaner. Better safe than sorry is what I like to practice. Here are a few pics that were taken while working around my shop. In the first shot, I am holding up two bottles of Lloyd's product while wearing a mask and gloves.

x

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 04:14:57 AM »
For stripping any rust and/or spray paint from any of the brake lines, fuel lines or hard parts, I soaked them in evapo-rust which softened most of the spray paint and allowed me to wipe much of it off. Any stubborn spots were further stripped using a brass wire wheel on a drill. Delicate parts that I did not want to polish were done at slow speed, or they were cleaned by hand using rust remover and a small brass brush. This was true with the original master cylinder and the brake booster which each had some surface rust and required gentle cleaning. The diff is back in the car now, fuel line is done, and most of the brake lines are also done. I will finish off the master cylinder later this week and have some more cleaning to do on the subframe which will finish up in another week or two. Then the drive train can go back into the car. Ready well before spring is the plan here...then lots of driving and gear rowing. Z/28 style!

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:24 AM »
Was there any black paint on the rear end pinion yoke?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 05:14:07 PM »
No, it was not along with everything else. Thankfully they left the driveshaft and the pinion yoke alone. The pinion appears to be a natural finish with what looks to be a blue inspection mark on the end of the pinion shaft. Straps are originals and have V stamping.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 06:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the pinion yoke pics.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
A few updates on the car being cleaned up and some parts being restored.

I finally scooped a set of late 69 3932417 covers today and will reskin them once they arrive. One was repaired but I also managed to scoop a single from eBay so all is good once they arrive. I recently installed a new flywheel and clutch onto the back of the 302 and just stripped painted a dated 403 bell housing the other day. Heading out to pair them up today and then the motor can soon go back in. Before it goes back in, the engine will also get a fresh coat of paint in the correct shade of GM orange. Whoever painted it last, painted it in the earlier shade of orange which is darker than it should be for 69. Today and tomorrow I'll do some more cleaning on the front frame horns before I start to reassemble the brakes now that the brake hardware is cleaned up and restored. Exhaust manifolds have also been cleaned up and tumbled so they are ready to now as well. Slowly progressing along here.

SMS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:49 PM »
That bellhousing is perfect.  The whole car is awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 01:05:04 AM »
Graeme, I noticed you have orange overspray on the clutch fork boot.  I think I read somewhere on this site that the boot was installed after engine / bell housing paint process.  I won't swear by it, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.  Great car and project BTW!
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
the engine will also get a fresh coat of paint in the correct shade of GM orange. Whoever painted it last, painted it in the earlier shade of orange which is darker than it should be for 69.
Hadn't heard there was a different shade of orange used for 1969?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 12:23:05 AM »
1956 Chev "RED" maybe?
1955, 1957-1975 "ORANGE"

Source Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel.

just a guess
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 01:51:23 AM »
Graeme, I noticed you have orange overspray on the clutch fork boot.  I think I read somewhere on this site that the boot was installed after engine / bell housing paint process.  I won't swear by it, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.  Great car and project BTW!

Yup. RSZMJT had told me about the fork boot going on after and that it was to stay black. The one pictured above is the one that came on this car and already had that skiff of paint on it. Likely from the engine builder who rebuilt the motor in 2015. It's a nice old original boot so I'll wipe the old overspray off of it and reuse it. The inspection cover is one that came to me with this 403 bell and it was also pointed out that it's the wrong design and has the oil pan tabs. It'll do until I can find an old original and Lloyd Costley also pointed out that it needs a little less paint next time around. I shot the whole thing and I'm learning now that it isn't correct. When I find a nice original, I'll just fog it around the edges of the bolts and leave the rest black.

As for paint colors, an old school engine builder & machinist who's done thousands of motors over the past 50 years told me there are 2 GM oranges and that the darker of the 2 belongs on the 68 and earlier blocks with the short water pumps. He uses the Duplicolor DE1607 for the darker orange and Duplicolor DE1620 on engine builds from 69 onwards with long water pumps. I don't know how accurate that claim is, but it's good enough for me as another builder I know uses the exact same 2 paints on his engine rebuilds too. Right or wrong, that's what I was told to go with so here are the paints of choice that I have been using for a while now. I'd suppose it's more of a personal preference as to what people use to paint their motors. I like the brighter color myself and I'm ok with either.

Bell housing has the lighter DE1620 while this block was painted by someone else and more closely matches the darker DE1607. I'll spray the motor with the lighter color before it goes back in the car next week. Just waiting on a couple of parts to arrive.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 02:24:12 AM »
When I find a nice original, I'll just fog it around the edges of the bolts and leave the rest black.
FWIW, the assembly line inspection covers were natural.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

anything