Author Topic: engine VIN location  (Read 9839 times)

G Smith

• View Profile
engine VIN location
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:06:26 PM »
I am look1ng at a 1969 Z28 to purchase , however the block has been decked is there another spot on the Block to find the vin #

PLEASE help Block has been decked no Engine or vin visible >:(

*removed poll*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:10:08 AM by KurtS »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: engine VIN location
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PartialVINs

With the block decked, it is now essentially NOM. That will be a significant problem when you want to move it. There may be a VIN stamp near the oil filter but that hardly proves it is a Z/28.

Don't know why you are bothering with this. Unless it is otherwise a totally original car with bullet-proof docs, I'd pass.
Learning more and more about less and less...

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
if the vin near the oil filter matches the cars vin, would not that indicate the Motor is true to the car ? Everything  else proves out x77 z28

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
Can you elaborate on "everything else"?
Thanks, Doc.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:59:41 PM »
if the vin near the oil filter matches the cars vin, would not that indicate the Motor is true to the car?
No, restamps are common and the term 'numbers-matching' can mean very different things to being original to the car. The block casting number and cast date will help determine if it dates from the right timeframe, but as stated, if the pad has been decked and the car has no docs, it can never be proven. Is there a 1/4" NPT plug in the oil gallery above the timing chain cover?
The Z/28 is one of the most often faked models, so many details need to be checked to see if they hint at what it left the factory as.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Eververy thing on the car says Z28 that i have found so far including the vin near the oil filter , it hard to believe if some Moron milled  off the deck numbers (witch would be easy to do if he was an idiot) that would make the authenticity of the block questionable

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
i have not checked the 1/4 not

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 11:25:32 PM »
Word has it that Jerry MacNeish has certified the car many years ago , after that at some time the Engine was rebuilt and Decked maybe i should see if he has any records of that. I am looking at $55K for the car

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 04:27:30 AM »
Is this car in the pacific NW by any chance?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Word has it that Jerry MacNeish has certified the car many years ago , after that at some time the Engine was rebuilt and Decked maybe i should see if he has any records of that. I am looking at $55K for the car
Should be no maybe about it concerning checking possible JerryM certified. From your last sentence I’m not sure if your selling or looking at buying! Personally I’d not consider buying with decked motor as it will always be suspect and hurts value immensely.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
it is in Edmonds Washington and yes i am considering buying , Butt Damm i am scared to pull the trigger i need serious help with this

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
Post a link to the car. What is the VIN?   

suturb110

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Hi,
I live in Renton, WA about 30 minutes from Edmonds if you need any help.
PM me if i nterested.

Mike

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
if the vin near the oil filter matches the cars vin, would not that indicate the Motor is true to the car ? Everything  else proves out x77 z28

Yes, in instances like this, I tend to disagree with others.

That is of course if you are certain we are looking at a real Z.   For this scenario to work, for me, it would have to be a Norwood car with an X code for starters.  As long as you are certain it has a legit data plate and is original to the car, hasn't been tampered with, and is an X33 or X77 then we can be fairly comfortable it's a Z.  Other tell tail signs would help as well.   As long as the vin tag is also original and untampered with, and lines up with the build time frame, then you're off to a good start.

From there, really the vin at the oil filter would be enough to confirm it's the original block, as long as you're certain that vin is original and untampered.    At this point there is enough evidence you are looking at the original block. If all that checks out it wouldn't scare me a bit and would have little affect on value in my opinion.   The deck stamp isn't the "tell all" and they are frequently messed with, but it's certainly nice to have if it's real.    What saves a car like this, in this instance, is that Norwood was thankfully stamping vins at the oil filter by this time frame.  Otherwise all would be lost.

What's interesting is that this process has been used to verify LOS built Z's that have no X code, by verifying the vin at the oil filter matches the car  LOL.  Sort of reverse prognosis.  So to say it's not a viable means of verification on an X code Z is a bit odd.

Decking the block isn't that uncommon.  Many were done back in the day when these cars weren't worth much so it's not unusual to see.  So many of these engines (all models) have terrible deck surface heights that very several thousandths front to back, side to side, some blocks are actually twisted.  Doing a proper rebuild almost always includes "squaring" up the block after align honing which means sometimes a light pass on the decks to sometimes taking off several thousandths.
  Then you can get into the "zero" decking scenario where builders want tight quench for better mixture motion, fends off detonation, makes more power with less timing required etc....  Some move piston pin heights, some deck the block, or a combination of both.

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
Thanks so much for the help , this is a buy or not buy situation for me , i will post some more pertinent info tomorrow , stamps ,vin cowl tag and so on , i refuse to believe a decked block should nix the deal if all else points to Original Z28
there is V0I9DZ on the pad but i can't see a VIN i will look very close tomorrow . thank you so much my stress level is less the more input i get