Author Topic: ZLP955 Racing BITD  (Read 25159 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: ZLP955 Racing BITD
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 04:12:08 AM »
Austin, yes this was a dash tach, centre clock and console with gauges car. I dont think they stayed in place for long though. There's a couple of holes in the cowl panel vent ribs, right in front of the driver, so at some point there must've been another gauge fitted there, or the tube tach got moved.
As for any association with Clippinger aside from selling dealer, no idea but somehow I doubt it; no sign of any logos elsewhere on the car in either paint scheme. They probably left the plate frame visible as a gesture towards the dealership's reputation.
I have a copy of a race program from Saugus Speedway which describes the original driver (he moved on from drag racing to speedway) as holding an AHRA class record for 3 years, so would like to pursue that line of inquiry.

FWIW, Saugus Speedway is no longer running any form of racing. They closed their 'official' racing events in 1995. It now currently has swap meets, small concerts, and cars shows. As for the AHRA class records, I believe that info might be still available?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 04:18:08 AM »
Yes IIRC the Saugus program was from around 1980, by which time the original owner was competing in the Sportsman class. There was a driver profile of him that brought up him switch from drag racing to speedway and mentioned him being a record holder. Funny thing, when I bought the car I was told by owner #3 that it had been a record-setter but I couldn't (and still can't!) find anything to prove that.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 04:36:44 AM »
Yes IIRC the Saugus program was from around 1980, by which time the original owner was competing in the Sportsman class. There was a driver profile of him that brought up him switch from drag racing to speedway and mentioned him being a record holder. Funny thing, when I bought the car I was told by owner #3 that it had been a record-setter but I couldn't (and still can't!) find anything to prove that.

IF you want, send me a PM of the owners name and I will ask my racing guru expert and long time friend Randy. Im pretty sure he will know…
Take care, Scott.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »
After reviewing those photos, I'm of the opinion that the car hadn't had the mini-tubbing or quarter lip flaring done at that time. So I am going to progress the rectification of the inner wheelhouses and shock tower areas back to stock, and getting ready for paint in the original colours. I'm also really warming to Warren's suggestion of a vinyl wrap to the side panels, as that is reversible - thanks again for the idea!
I will start the hunt for some vintage Cragars in the likely sizes of 15x4 and 15x7.
The next question in my mind is on how to treat the interior. I'll post again after I check my notes on how the interior was when I bought the car.
One question to you about those 1971 photos at the start of this thread: does the steering wheel look like an N34? I got an original N34 wheel with dark blue hub and horn cap with the car but there was a smaller-diameter sports wheel in place, which could be a later swap-out. If the original steering wheel was left in place as-pictured, then it's more likely that the factory interior was more or less intact too.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Jon, no worries about the tach, just wondering what gave you cause to rethink

My thought was that it was harder to route a tach cable to the driver's side of the car, especially with throttle linkage that could pose a problem and the need for the hood to be able to go up and down.  A wire for an electrical tach would just be a lot easier to deal with.
Jon Mello
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
Good logic Jon, that makes a lot of sense. I've been wondering how they opened and secured the hood with it raised at the rear; still has the latching mechanism at the front.
Tim in Australia.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 12:52:04 AM »
Probably made an aluminum spacer....
Kurt S
CRG

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »
We did it backin the day with spacers. Actually body shims. Did not take as many as you would think. Never saw the tube until now though.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »
Interesting idea on the spacers... wondered if that was how they did it, there must be enough wiggle room to take up the change in hood angle at the header panel and latching mechanism.

Now.... hoping some eagle-eyed folk might be able to offer thoughts on the door decals.
In the second race scheme (as bought) each of the front doors had the following decals along the bottom edge, as first picture below~
Schiefer-Hurst-Lakewood-Fram-Valvoline. Then a Cragar decal (which fell off) on the bottom of the fender.

In the 1971 Lions photos, second pic below, I can make out the following~
Unknown-Valvoline-Holley-Hurst-Schiefer. The Cragar decal is under the Z/28 emblem at the front of the fender, and another decal I can't make out at the bottom edge of the fender. There is also an M&H decal just rear of the door by the quarter louver.
Does anyone recognise the unknown decal front edge of door bottom (reminds me of a Coca-Cola logo to me, with the twist underneath.....) or the unknown decal at the bottom of the fender?
Tim in Australia.

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
That one at the bottom of the fender looks like a VHT sticker.  I'm certainly no expert but I've looked at a lot of sticker pictures lately....trying to decipher them on my car like you are on yours.
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
Found this one, I think you're right!
So, just the one at the front of the door needs to be ID'd then.....
Do you have a thread going about your COPO?
Tim in Australia.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Just an FYI on propping up the rear of the hood if anyone hasn't mentioned it already.  That was a popular trick dating back into the early 60's as far as I know.  My father used to do it as well on one of his cars.  It's a simple hood hinge adjustment.  By tilting the hood hinges, it would hold the rear of the hood up a good 2-3 inches, and still latch in the front.   The idea was to allow pressurized air to escape.   Usually seen in a lot of vintage drag photos.  I think Grumpy Jenkins was one that practiced it on a couple of his cars.  Maybe the Z11 impala but can't remember.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
I was going to suggest the VHT logo, but looking closer at your picture the oval Looks similar, but I do not see the letters "VHT". I tried to look up the history of VHT to see if they were around our used this logo back then as well. Couldn't find a history that went back that far.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 02:36:11 AM »
To me there is no doubt the two stickers you are wondering about are VHT and Coca Cola.
Jon Mello
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 08:09:59 AM »
To me there is no doubt the two stickers you are wondering about are VHT and Coca Cola.
Thanks once again Jon. My first thought was that it was a Coke logo but I just couldn't see a racing connection with that brand. But the driver was only 21 at the time, so maybe that was his choice of trackside refreshment!
Tim in Australia.