Author Topic: New guy question  (Read 4800 times)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
New guy question
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
Okay, what documentation or what processes need to be followed to make sure that you don't get a fake 1969 Z/28?
John

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Re: New guy question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
Documentation can be faked. ID numbers and date codes restamped. Your best bet is to hire an expert that knows theses cars. Just my opinion .
Rick
69 RS/Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
If you currently have a car in mind, post a picture of the VIN, the Trim Tag, the Engine pad stamp, the Transmission stamp, the rear axle stamp and pictures of any documentation the owner has. That will tell us what we need to know.

If you DON'T currently have a car in mind, then you'll have to wait until you find one, THEN perform the above.

Ed

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:22:12 AM »
I agree with all that has been said. I would also add, picking up a copy (or borrowing), a copy of Jerry M's definitive 69Z book, will educate you on some basics. I would also advise to read the CRG links about 69 Camaros in general, and read different posts and responses on here.

Just curious how did you settle on a 69Z? Vs. an SS, or 69 vs. 68 or 67?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:02 AM »
I agree with all that has been said. I would also add, picking up a copy (or borrowing), a copy of Jerry M's definitive 69Z book, will educate you on some basics. I would also advise to read the CRG links about 69 Camaros in general, and read different posts and responses on here.

I have a '69 BOSS 302 and '70 BOSS 302 eventually I'd like to complete the collection with a '69 Z/28 and a '70 Z/28. I'm in no hurry to buy, I'm in the education phase right now. I am a patient individual. I figured this was the best place to learn about my target interests.
John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:59:10 AM by JohnSlack »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »

I have a '69 BOSS 302 and '70 BOSS 302 eventually I'd like to complete the collection with a '69 Z/28 and a '70 Z/28. I'm in no hurry to buy, I'm in the education phase right now. I am a patient individual. I figured this was the best place to learn about my target interests.
John

John,
As you know Chevy did not have a specific VIN number for the 302 DZ engine unlike Ford. Yes, it is much easier to ID the Boss 302's  'G' code on the VIN and unique 1/4 panels (1969). That said, (and as mentioned) documentation is key when searching for a Z/28. Like my collector car friends say "No documentation, no premium"
Btw, a '69 and '70 Z/28 would be a very nice addition to your collection of T/A cars.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
Needs an AAR 'Cuda, Challenger T/A & a 1969 Firebird T/A in that collection also :)
...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
Needs an AAR 'Cuda, Challenger T/A & a 1969 Firebird T/A in that collection also :)
...Joe

Also, a Penske Javelin! Now you guys got me going…I want all of them too!  lol
1968 Olds 442 W-30

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »
I saw a guy in town with the Penske javelin look a like. I haven't been fortunate yet to see it up close though. That red, white and blue paint job you can spot a mile away. :)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »

John

John,
As you know Chevy did not have a specific VIN number for the 302 DZ engine unlike Ford. Yes, it is much easier to ID the Boss 302's  'G' code on the VIN and unique 1/4 panels (1969). That said, (and as mentioned) documentation is key when searching for a Z/28. Like my collector car friends say "No documentation, no premium"
Btw, a '69 and '70 Z/28 would be a very nice addition to your collection of T/A cars.

Scott,
Thank you for"finding" this website for me, I have PM'd with Jon Mello about sharing pictures of the inside of the 1969 factory T/A engines. From carburetors to the oil pan, I'm in the process of taking better pictures of some of the parts. But it should be fun to share and maybe compare what "stock" FoMoCo supported team parts look like compared to actual stock FoMoCo production line parts. Possibly someone can be enticed to share pictures of actual Chevrolet team car parts from 1969 - 1970.

This link goes to where those pictures would eventually be.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

John

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
...Joe

Also, a Penske Javelin! Now you guys got me going…I want all of them too!  lol

Yes! The Mark Donohue 1970 Javelin SST or the T/A Javelin with a 390 and the T10 transmission would be a great car as well. Probably a good choice for the 4th car in that group moving the 1970 Z/28 to 5th car status. The AMC cars are however really dependant on the documents.

See the following link;
http://www.tajavelin.com
John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:48:25 PM by JohnSlack »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »

John

John,

Scott,
Thank you for"finding" this website for me, I have PM'd with Jon Mello about sharing pictures of the inside of the 1969 factory T/A engines. From carburetors to the oil pan, I'm in the process of taking better pictures of some of the parts. But it should be fun to share and maybe compare what "stock" FoMoCo supported team parts look like compared to actual stock FoMoCo production line parts. Possibly someone can be enticed to share pictures of actual Chevrolet team car parts from 1969 - 1970.

This link goes to where those pictures would eventually be.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

John

John,
Your welcome, and glad you enjoy it over here! Jon Mello has vast knowledge of T/A Camaros, including an impressive photo collection. Nice to hear you guys are conversing on all things Trans-Am.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »
Wow, there is so much more Camaro research than I initially thought. This website has tons of great information, thanks to everyone that contributes to the pile. I'm reading about "early NOS vs. Later NOS parts differences, necessary stampings, I of course would prefer date coded take offs compared to even earlier NOS. But you look for the best car you can find and go from there. There is a lot of reading to do still, the learning curve will be steep. I don't understand why the trim tag is being witnessed as a saleable item on eBay. In the BOSS 302 world it is understood that even possession of a VIN tag that is used for registration purposes while removed from a car is a felony. The rosette rivets are a felony possession as well.
John

Here is a link to the BOSS website and the VIN legalities page.
http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
Wow, there is so much more Camaro research than I initially thought. This website has tons of great information, thanks to everyone that contributes to the pile. I'm reading about "early NOS vs. Later NOS parts differences, necessary stampings, I of course would prefer date coded take offs compared to even earlier NOS. But you look for the best car you can find and go from there. There is a lot of reading to do still, the learning curve will be steep. I don't understand why the trim tag is being witnessed as a saleable item on eBay. In the BOSS 302 world it is understood that even possession of a VIN tag that is used for registration purposes while removed from a car is a felony. The rosette rivets are a felony possession as well.
John

Welcome John! If you go to "original cars and details" here on the CRG you car review some great original survivor cars. Here is one of the best original 69 Z/28's around and lots of pictures. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12083.0;all
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
John

Okay, nevermind after a little more research I see that the "Trim Tag" is like the "Buck Tag" or "Door Tag" on the Mustang, so not the "VIN tag"...... Still reading.

anything