Author Topic: LED Bulbs Revisited  (Read 7597 times)

doomer

• View Profile
LED Bulbs Revisited
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
So, while my search skills may have failed me, I believe it has been quite some times since LED bulbs were discussed here. The technology has moved quite a bit forward, and now there are several types, some of which are so bright that safety is debated. For my '69 Z, I am interested in brighter lights for my parking, breaking, turning, and reverse lights. Plasma LEDs sound great for break lights. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using these on a first gen?

Many of the new bulbs have LEDs arranged around it so should cast light like the original incandescents, allowing them to work better in the housing where the bulbs come up through the bottom. The different brightness's are my concern. I don't want brake lights lost in the brightness of the inner tail light.

Also I am considering replacing some of the internal bulbs (overhead lamp, console lamps, etc) with brighter LEDs. So I am looking for feedback/experiences with those as well. Thanks!

69z27z87

• The garage - my happy place
    • View Profile
Re: LED Bulbs Revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
I replaced by internal bulbs with LED.... after my overhead light kept burning up the lens and housing... melted part of the headliner also.... scary... especially that it smelled like fire when I took it apart.... wires had started melting down.

The only real issue is that the color is slightly different.... but I feel WAY safer that my car is not going to burn down!... and I can leave the door open for more than 10 seconds....

All the rest of the exterior bulbs (and dash bulbs) are as original.
1969 SS396 - L35, Z87 Daytona Yellow, Yellow Houndstooth, Black Vinyl top
1992 Z28 - LB9 Purple Haze, T-5WC, grey leather interior

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »
I have recently replaced all bulbs with LED's except for the headlights on my 69.
I love them. The new dash LED's are much brighter, have 360 degree coverage, and still dimmable.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
I have recently replaced all bulbs with LED's except for the headlights on my 69.
I love them. The new dash LED's are much brighter, have 360 degree coverage, and still dimmable.

Could you share your bulb choices/source? I am particularly interested in console lights, dome light, etc.

-D

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
I got most of them from... https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1969-chevrolet-camaro-vehicle-led-lights?make=16&model=514&year=1969
I think that the dome light was from Classic Industries... the LEDs are mounted on a circuit board... it was my first delve into LED lighting (if I had to do it over, I'd probably get a bulb replacement rather than a circuit board for the dome light).

I don't have a console, but I suspect that they might be the same bulbs #194 as the dash.

I went with the first recommended replacements shown on the SuperBrightLEDs website.
They do have sales every now & then; I took advantage of their Fathers Day 15% OFF Sale.

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 02:40:38 AM »
My 67 rear tail lights are led factory style socket, purchased from Advance Auto, and had no effect on turn signal blinking speed. The pic is just the running lights not the brake lights.
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
My 67 rear tail lights are led factory style socket, purchased from Advance Auto, and had no effect on turn signal blinking speed. The pic is just the running lights not the brake lights.

Those look good. Brighter than original? I have read on this board that the bright LEDs used in the inside rear lights on a non-rs 69 overwhelm the brake lights, making them harder to notice when they're on. I am not sure if this is still true in all cases.

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:40:13 AM »
I'm not sure on 69 tail lights. But yes, brighter than original.   I did one side first before buying another pair of bulbs to see if there was a difference, and my car looked so good my son went and did the same bulbs for his 78 Cutlass. Way better than old filament bulbs
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:47:31 AM »
Even if the wrong incandescent bulb is used on the inside tail light of a non RS 69 Camaro it lights up too brightly and will mask the brake light effect of the outside light.  I still see this quite often today.

My father is a big fan of LED and has all his vehicles converted.  He has sort of gotten me toward that path but I haven't done all the cars 100%.   I convert the inside dome lights to LED on all the cars because I've found the regular bulbs will cook the plastic over time with too much heat.  When I tried LED's in the tail lights of our RS Z I didn't really like it.   Looked okay with parking lights on, but with brakes or turn signals it actually turned more orange than red and had this weird look, brand new lenses too.  LED's too bright I guess so I took them back out.  I will say with the LED's in the dome, the rear console, and both under dash lights, and white interior, it's blinding at night.
   I haven't done the dashes on my stuff but my father does.  Have to get the dimmable versions for the dimmer to work.  When I'm driving his I have to dim them down, just too daggum bright for me and makes it more difficult for me to focus on the dark road in front of me.  So I don't do the dashes on my own stuff.

However I wouldn't mind some LED's down in the console gauges.  If I remember right those were odd sized single terminal.  Anyone know that number off hand?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:29:25 AM by X33RS »

69z27z87

• The garage - my happy place
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
RockAuto carries LED replacements.... just click on which bulb you want... still the best price I can find.
1969 SS396 - L35, Z87 Daytona Yellow, Yellow Houndstooth, Black Vinyl top
1992 Z28 - LB9 Purple Haze, T-5WC, grey leather interior

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
I found the original number which is needed to do any cross referencing.

In case anyone needs it....

1816 is the original bulb.  It crosses over to a BA9  LED bulb.

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
Thanks for this info. I've been considering LEDs for my 68.

Just don't use LEDs in place of incandescent in your new vehicles. The little circuit board in them confuses the BCM feedback circuits and the module stays awake, possibly causing a dead battery.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
Just for information sake..

These LED upgrades may not work with cars that have fiber optics / Vigilite option.

The end of the fiber that goes into the bulb socket usually goes right up to the edge of the bulb glass - which cant happen with LED's.

Just sayin...

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »
FYI... SuperBrightLEDs.com is currently having a 15% OFF Everything SALE!
https://mailchi.mp/superbrightleds/fourth-of-july-15-off-everything?e=1605607575

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
FYI... SuperBrightLEDs.com is currently having a 15% OFF Everything SALE!
https://mailchi.mp/superbrightleds/fourth-of-july-15-off-everything?e=1605607575

Couldn't ask for better timing! Thanks!