Author Topic: Advice on selling 69 Z/28  (Read 10504 times)

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
Advice on selling 69 Z/28
« on: November 18, 2017, 01:59:28 AM »
Thinking about trying to down size my hoard a bit & maybe let go of my 69 Z/28. I was hoping for some advice on how to go about actually selling the car in this day & age? Where would you list it? would you try and fix a few small things first or just sell as is etc.. I think I've owned it 18 or 19 years now & only put about 7000 miles on it in that time.  It's far from perfect, but is still a nice solid  # 3 car. Thankfully, I don't need to sell it, I'm just looking for some info from others that have been down this road.
Any & all advice would be appreciated, Thank you.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Advice on selling 69 Z/28
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:00:05 AM »
Hey Nick,

surprised that the 69Z is on the chopping block, with all the nice cars you own.

1) Depends on what the small things are there that need fixing.  Approx how much are you going to ask or want for it?

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
could we see pictures, history, mileage..etc

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
Hey Nick,

surprised that the 69Z is on the chopping block, with all the nice cars you own.

1) Depends on what the small things are there that need fixing.  Approx how much are you going to ask or want for it?

Hi Austin,

Yeah I have been considering it for a few years now. The car just sits & usually in the way. lol... I renewed the tag on it earlier this year for the first time in 5 years and only drove it a few times before dropping the insurance& parking it again.  I have always enjoyed my 68's more and you just cant drive them all. lol..

The small things I was referring to are, the oil pan has a leak, it uses a quart of oil every couple of hundred miles, I'm assuming it's the guides. there is a small tear in the driver side seat, & a small rust spot in the driver side door. The rest of the car is very solid & shows well.

I dont really know what it's worth, when you look the prices are all over the place.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
If you can fix those things for $1-2k, I would think you would at least get that and more out of it. Your car is not bad now, but with those things fixed it would look really nice. Most buyers don't want to mess with any of those kinds of things.
At the end of the day you are going to have to put a number on it.
Also for the decent sum of money you will get, what are the proceeds going to go towards???
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
could we see pictures, history, mileage..etc

I bought the car from a dealer in Florida but the car was sold new in Midwest City, OK to Tom & Donna B. from Choctaw, OK. It was then sold to another gentleman Patrick O. also from Choctaw, who owned it for a few years. He told me he drove it to go pick up a new truck and the dealer bought the car from him. At that point it was auctioned off between dealers for a few years before I bought it. I believe I am the 3rd real owner of the car. I bought it with just over 80xxx miles on it and it now has 87xxx on it. I was told the it has only had one repaint done in 1986 by the original owner. I ran a title search on the car years ago and that was how i was able to track down the pervious owners on the car. It shows title history back to 12/1969

here are a couple pics I have on my computer..

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
If you can fix those things for $1-2k, I would think you would at least get that and more out of it. Your car is not bad now, but with those things fixed it would look really nice. Most buyers don't want to mess with any of those kinds of things.
At the end of the day you are going to have to put a number on it.
Also for the decent sum of money you will get, what are the proceeds going to go towards???

Thats kind of what I thought. I will likely pull the engine and go through it so it's fresh before spring. The door & the seat are no big deal to fix  I can blend the paint on the door since it's just a small spot and maybe take the seat cover off and get the seam sewn back up or just replace the seat cover.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 06:23:40 PM »
You have a nice car, and having the original owners names, and full history on the car adds value IMO...  You should write up the history as detailed as you can with addresses and phone numbers and anything else you know about each of the prior owners and locations...  ie.. everything you know...   for passing along to the buyer.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
You have a nice car, and having the original owners names, and full history on the car adds value IMO...  You should write up the history as detailed as you can with addresses and phone numbers and anything else you know about each of the prior owners and locations...  ie.. everything you know...   for passing along to the buyer.

Thank you Gary thats a great suggestion.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
Nice looking car! Is it all original drive train, etc? If it is, keep in mind that a buyer that wants an original car is going to be money and time ahead of buying another car needing original parts located and purchased. There aren't that many out there really original to choose from, so don't sell yourself short.
Jimmy V.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »
From the picture your engine looks to good to pull.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Nice looking car! Is it all original drive train, etc? If it is, keep in mind that a buyer that wants an original car is going to be money and time ahead of buying another car needing original parts located and purchased. There aren't that many out there really original to choose from, so don't sell yourself short.

Thank you for the kind words. It has it's original DZ & BU but the trans was MIA, it had an early incorrect M-21 when I bought it.

It was born with a Flat hood and when I spoke to the original owner he said he still had it, but that has been likely 14 or 15 years ago. Back then, I thought I might load it up and take the car back to Choctaw and try and meet both prior owners in person but I never could find the time and then years got away from me etc..

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
From the picture your engine looks to good to pull.

Thank you. If it didn't use so much oil and have the small leak I would just leave it alone. .

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:08 PM »
Years ago I had my 302 re-done as I had ring failure in #7. I was excited to have that typical small block Chevy rear main oil leak finally fixed as well. About 3 months after I got it up and running again, the rear main oil drip returned. Oh well, the 302 still runs like you know what!!
Jimmy V.

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »
Years ago I had my 302 re-done as I had ring failure in #7. I was excited to have that typical small block Chevy rear main oil leak finally fixed as well. About 3 months after I got it up and running again, the rear main oil drip returned. Oh well, the 302 still runs like you know what!!

Thats just the way my luck goes also. Right after I finished the resto on my 68 SSRS396 I had a small oil pan leak. I spent 5 years restoring the car and thought I was meticulous when I built the motor. I puled it back out and went to a one piece pan gasket. It was sealed up for about 300 miles and then the d@mn leak returned. That was almost 6000 miles ago, I keep telling myself I will get to it but its been almost 3 years now & I still havent had the time. It's just leaves a small drip on the floor about the size of dime after I've driven it a bit but it still drives me crazy.