Author Topic: Big block air cleaner  (Read 4339 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Big block air cleaner
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »
Now that all the old photobucket pics are gone, could you guys help me ID this air cleaner?
I just bought it. Any thoughts about it? It's supposed to be original. I believe it is. Anything amiss? I bought it to replace the stolen one off my 69 back in the 80s.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Big block air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:49 PM »
Dave when I looked into these, it seemed that style of base you show has been observed on original 302 engines - the angle (~30 degrees down from horizontal) and orientation (clocking) of the breather tube on the underside was the difference. The other common style seen  has the breather tube with a 90-degree bend and different clocking position, but I couldn't get a clear understanding if that was for a different engine (most likely imho) or a different supplier or a service replacement.

Ed (bertfam) has posted some great references from the various P&A catalogs which show just how many different assembly part numbers were used, and without the air cleaner base having a stamped number, it may never become any clearer than by trying to look at as many unrestored examples as possible.

The lid and silk-screening appear correct for the 69 MY, quite a lot of threads about the change from curved to straight print.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »
Dave, HERE'S one of the treads Tim's referring to, and HERE'S the other.

Ed

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
Dave when I looked into these, it seemed that style of base you show has been observed on original 302 engines - the angle (~30 degrees down from horizontal) and orientation (clocking) of the breather tube on the underside was the difference. The other common style seen  has the breather tube with a 90-degree bend and different clocking position, but I couldn't get a clear understanding if that was for a different engine (most likely imho) or a different supplier or a service replacement.

Ed (bertfam) has posted some great references from the various P&A catalogs which show just how many different assembly part numbers were used, and without the air cleaner base having a stamped number, it may never become any clearer than by trying to look at as many unrestored examples as possible.

The lid and silk-screening appear correct for the 69 MY, quite a lot of threads about the change from curved to straight print.
Dave, HERE'S one of the treads Tim's referring to, and HERE'S the other.

Ed

Thank you very much guys. I'll check out those links. FWIW, I believe the open air cleaner for the big block was the same one used for the 302. What you said sounds promising Tim.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
So I have my  original 69 302 air cleaner. Do you want me to take similar pics and post?
Jimmy V.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »
So I have my  original 69 302 air cleaner. Do you want me to take similar pics and post?
I'm all set Jimmy, but thanks.
I couldn't have asked for a better buy. I thought the chrome was pealing and it turns out it's just remnants of the sticker. The chrome will all clean up nice. It really turned out to be an excellent assembly line cover. Here are a couple of pics I took last night for future reference.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
Nice find.  I really like that lid!
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
Nice find.  I really like that lid!
Thanks John. The price was right to boot too.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

anything