Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson lawsuit  (Read 68934 times)

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
Re: Barrett-Jackson lawsuit
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 01:02:14 AM »
.....and now this from the original fourwheeldrift article writer Sam Barer

I smell some big time arm twisting (read: legal action/threats) in this version...

http://fourwheeldrift.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/the-reason-its-no-longer-here/

The Reason It’s No Longer Here
After some real soul searching I decided to take down the posting regarding Barrett-Jackson. I was not going to offer an explanation to readers, but after widespread rumors, many emails and telephone calls, I wish to set the record straight.

Steve Davis, President of Barrett-Jackson took the time and effort to read the article, and then posted a comment that argued that the content was “reckless.” I firmly believe that in writing it I far exceeded the standard of conduct applicable to opinion pieces published on the internet. Each of the allegations made in the piece was already published in print, on message boards, around the blogosphere, through email lists, or had been circulating via car club events. I have additional sources who provided other information regarding most of the points.

That being said, as I reread the piece and gave it a lot of thought, I came to the belief in retrospect that while a valid piece of journalistic workmanship, it could be arguably seen from Barrett-Jackson’s standpoint as unfair. I had aggregated claims and allegations from sellers and participants over the years, yet had not leavened the piece with B-J’s side of the story. In taking it down, it offers B-J time to respond, educate, investigate…I even provided B-J the name and contact information of the now-famous judge (with his consent,) who sold his high-profile car on Saturday of the event. Hopefully, they can communicate and come to an understanding, and both report back.

Since I have no personal animosity against B-J (I believe it to be one of the most entertaining auto events of the season,) and I realize there are two sides to this and every story, I felt the better course of action was to pull it down and integrate anything they chose to communicate within a new article.

Furthermore, the article brought out many additional people (including some names car enthusiasts would recognize) who have taken time to tell me their personal stories of interaction with B-J and other auction companies. So like an artist who looks at his painting after the fact, this story, if and when it is updated, can look so much better, in my opinion, with all of the information provided by these sellers, attendees, as well as auction company representatives. (I also thank Drew Alcazar from Russo and Steele for taking time out of his busy schedule to communicate with me. I look forward to hearing more from him, as well as representatives from other auction companies, who have contacted offering to share information regarding their experiences.)

My final reason for pulling the article was that it was getting too personal on many levels. From threats of lawsuits against me to attacks against those posting on the blog with differing views, it simply was not what The Four Wheel Drift was intended to be about.

I personally thank all those who have sent their stories and support, as well as those many great, trustworthy sources who were the basis of the original story.

Sincerely,

Sam Barer
The Four Wheel Drift
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:03:56 AM by MMMM_ERT »
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:41 AM »
Almost sounds like he is afraid for his life.
He was up against some VERY big guns.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
I think a friend off Matt Murphy bought the blue JL8.  I know Larry Christensen was suppose to inspect the car on the Sunday after the auction.  Last I heard is the buyer was going to try and get out of the purchase from BJ but I don't know the whole story.  I saw a lot of issues with this car but didn't inspect it.  The ad sign for the car said it was the "best Z28 Camaro in the world."

Jerry

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
LOL...Not the best Z28 in the world but a great car with great history and paperwork. It was restored by a non Camaro guy that owned it for years so it had the usual resto errors. Why he would not want it is beyond me. I have seen Larry get carried away critiquing little things on cars and ignore the big picture. I hope that is not the case.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »
I know that if a car is misrepresented in any way, shape or form, that you have a 99.9% chance of getting your money back.  Wish I had looked at that car closer, I do remember that the master cylinder, water pump, timing cover and many component things were not right......and it had some extra wiring on the firewall?  Also, a radio shack radio?  I guess we'll see how this plays out.  I just don't understand how someone with a conscience can call a car like this the best one in the world.

Jerry

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:17 PM »
Out of 1200 cars there I'm guessing most had the descriptions embellished. We all have different opinions of what restored it, show quality paint etc. The misleading thing on this car would be dealer installed crossram. But they don't tell you what dealer or when. A dealer that had it a year ago would probably qualify.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:36 PM »
I just found my copies of some of the paperwork on the blue JL8 Z. Orig.window sticker, Car shipper, purchase contract, Letter dated August 69 from Chevrolet offering to swap out the chambered exhaust for quieter exhaust, article in July 1972 Car Craft on the car pitting it against a Boss 302 and even talking about the 4 wheel disc brakes. Another article in Cars magazine where they add Blackjack headers, Lakewood traction bars, Mallory Super CD,Hays clutch. Options per the window sticker were ...fold down seat,console,spoilers, 410 posi, 4-wheel disc, M21 trans, Rosewood wheel, guages,am radio,Special front bumper,ducted hood,Z28, Black houndstooth deluxe interior.

I don't remember the build date on the car but as I recall it was built within a week of when Emanuel took delivery. Built in LA and sold new in LA. If I could afford it I would love to have that car back. In 72 it ran a 13.85@105. Great car. I think the guy is nuts if he sends it back.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 12:01:20 AM »
I am curious why the buyer  didn't have Larry C look at the car prior to it being auctioned on the block. It seems at some point the buyer has to take responsibility. Isn't it just the sellers opinion, as he has been quoted as the best, he is not necessarily an expert (nor is he claiming to be one), possibly it's the best in his little world. Did he claim it won any show or that it competed at a high level judged venue?? At some point the buyer needs to take some responsibility, seems like sour grapes afterwards...buyers remorse possibly. Look at the sellers perspective, he paid to sell his car at a great auction and now that opportunity is possibly lost, because some buyer for what ever reason changes his mind. There are risks at auctions, and they are certainly "buyers beware". If you want to buy a car at a auction, you better educate yourself or hire and expert prior to the purchase NOT afterwards. Option wise it is probably up there with the most optioned JL8's.  I know Mike R's lemans blue RS may have a few more, but the list is short.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:10:01 AM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

tom carroll

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me the correct exhaust manifolds for a '69 camaro, z10, 350, 4speed? Is there a different  exhaust manifold for an automatic and manual trans. need left hand side only.
Some I find on internet say they are for automatic.
Thanks
Tom

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 03:12:38 AM »
That blue JL8 car sold at auction a few months ago for $140K. This time $162.5K.
Kurt S
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
THE AUTOMATICS, EXCEPT CALIFORNIA CARS DID NOT HAVE A.I.R. HOLES.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

wundercluck

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »
The dealer that was selling the JL8 car at BJ appears to still have it. I noticed it was still available on their website so I E-mailed for more info on the car Saturday and was just E-mailed more pics this morning. Considering they thought it was worth 325K to 400K, for whatever reason, they must have figured out a way to buy it back?
Don

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »

they must have figured out a way to buy it back?
Don

But Barrett Jackson says they don't allow that to happen....    ;)
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »

they must have figured out a way to buy it back?
Don

But Barrett Jackson says they don't allow that to happen....    ;)

Obviously if someone wants to buy their car back they can easily have a buddy bid. BJ will cancel the bid if they believe a  friend or business associate is bidding on the sellers behalf. Policing it is next to impossible, however the seller is now required to pay both the buyer and sellers fee of 18%.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2007, 10:15:48 PM »
In reality there is nothing more in play here than what any ethical business deals with daily - taking excellent care of its customers. There are a lot of very well known, high end auction houses in the US and Europe that deal with other forms of classic or antique collectibles.  They have figured out how to run auctions that are above reproach.  The increased cost(s) that might be required to ensure 100% legitimacy could be significant.  However, the auction house is simply going to pass those increased costs along to the buyers and sellers in the form of increased buying and selling fees, increased registration, etc. 

If there is a problem (and I'm not saying that there is - that is for those who actually know to decide), it is not the cost of enforcement - it is the cost of personal ethics.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:29:34 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

anything