Author Topic: 1969 Z28 spare wheel  (Read 17516 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z28 spare wheel
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
With American racing wheels, and Cragar, I am surprised that steel wheels would have been a sought after item back then
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 02:18:14 AM »
I get what your saying Kurt, but as William stated, if parts were needed from stores, they could have been taken due to a shortage and ended up on, or in a car.
The system was designed to mount and deliver a set of 5. All 5 wheels would have undergone the same processing, no matter how they arrived at the plant. All five would be from the same source, either service or OEM supplier because they would be pulling from the same bin.
In all these years, I've never seen a documented service part installed at the factory. I've seen drivetrain parts that were reworked and then factory installed, but even most of those were reworked and sent out as service parts.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 03:55:08 AM »
The wheels in question would have never been in a GMPD warehouse. The supply chain was setup with a single-source shipping to multiple locations. A run of wheels configured for service could have easily been diverted to an assembly plant.

Learning more and more about less and less...

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
I get what your saying Kurt, but as William stated, if parts were needed from stores, they could have been taken due to a shortage and ended up on, or in a car.
The system was designed to mount and deliver a set of 5. All 5 wheels would have undergone the same processing, no matter how they arrived at the plant. All five would be from the same source, either service or OEM supplier because they would be pulling from the same bin.
In all these years, I've never seen a documented service part installed at the factory. I've seen drivetrain parts that were reworked and then factory installed, but even most of those were reworked and sent out as service parts.

I own a 1980 Corvette that possibly had a factory rework on the engine before it left the plant.  It has ".009" undersized crank bearings.  I have never seen that size available anywhere in the aftermarket. Last 2 weeks of the run for the year and last year for that L-82.  Probably did not have any spare engines to drop in so they had to rework it.  Could have been at the engine assembly but that seems unlikely to me.  Very difficult to document either way but I found it fascinating.  Has a (technically incorrect) GM air cleaner lid from a 1981 too.  Otherwise unmolested car.