Author Topic: Factory paint process on a X77 with 57 paint code?  (Read 4175 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Factory paint process on a X77 with 57 paint code?
« on: November 08, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Hi,
I'm trying to help a friend with the restoration of his X77D80 car with 57/57 paint and I now I'm trying to figure out the paint process here....I've read the article here at CRG, http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml, but I must have this established before we send the car for the repaint:

Is this the correct step for a X77 paint job?

1. The 57-code main paint is sprayed as described from the factory.
2. The firewall is then blacked-out.
3. The unmasked cowl area under the cowl vent panel and the masked panel itself is painted white (Dover white 50?). In this process the firewall will get overspray from the white?
4. The hood and body is masked for stripes and sprayed white.
6. The trunk is then painted with spatter paint etc
5. The spoiler and the deck lid is masked for the stripes separately, painted and then mounted together? How far under the spoiler is the trunk lid then painted?

What's the RAL/NCS code for the black firewall paint?

Here are some extracts from the article:
Color System: The bodies were sequenced to "batch-paint" by color as much as the build schedule allowed, to minimize the waste of thinner required to clear paint guns between colors. The interior was masked off, the body exterior was tacked-off, and it then entered the main color booth, where it got three coats of acrylic lacquer, sprayed automatically with vertical and horizontal reciprocating spray guns, with a 3-minute "flash" between coats, followed by a 10-minute bake at 200F to "skin" the surface prior to sanding. In the next stage, any surface defects were power- and hand-wet-sanded with mineral spirits, then wiped off prior to entering the final "reflow" oven. This bake lasted 30 minutes at 275F, where the lacquer surface softened and "re-flowed" to a uniform gloss.

The last process for a non-stripe car was the blackout booth, where the firewall was blacked-out, the trunk was sprayed with spatter paint, and sound-deadening undercoat material was sprayed in the rear wheelhouses. The rear "cocktail shakers" on convertibles were suspended in the trunk for spatter painting, but weren't bolted in place until later in the Trim Shop, after the taillights and marker lights were installed.

If the car required Z28, Z10, or Z11 stripes or a black rear end panel or rockers, they were masked and manually sprayed in the in-line repair booth/oven system after the reflow oven, including the cowl vent panel; spoilers were painted body color separate from the body, and were final-installed to the deck lid just prior to the repair booth. The rear window filler panel, deck lid and spoiler were masked and sprayed stripe color in the repair booth, and baked in the repair oven before the body went back downstairs to the Trim Shop. The paint guns in the repair booth were fed from manifolds that were part of the main color circulating system so that the repair booth used exactly the same paint the main color booths were using.

Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: Factory paint process on a X77 with 57 paint code?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
Nobody?  ???
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »
Body assemblies were painted with doors and trunk lid installed & aligned. The cowl vent grille was hung from the roof on the right side. Most Z/28 style striping was done by Fisher Body. The spoiler was already mounted on the trunk lid; the striping on the lid ends at the front of the spoiler. The vent grille was masked off and striped; common to see stripe color overspray on the underside.

There are differences in how the cowl stripe color was handled, both evolutionary and between plants. Your car was built later [X77D80] at Norwood. By then the top of the cowl was masked off and only the areas visible through the vent grille were painted white. The wiper linkage was not installed at that point. There should be little or no white overspray visible on the top of the cowl with the grille in place. PM me with your email for a cowl photo of an 06A Fathom Green Z/28. Too big to include.

The hood and upper grille panel were striped by Chevrolet after sheet metal assembly.

The firewall blackout also varies in coverage. Some cars were painted all the way to the top; some had little coverage beyond the seam. When painting this do not use masking tape. The factory [usually] placed a masking unit on top of the cowl to prevent overspray. This left a fogged transition at the top, not a hard tape line.

Also, be sure to get the rear striping correct. Very common to see it done incorrectly. '69 rear stripes are different than '67-'68.

Learning more and more about less and less...

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:59 PM »
Thank you William, for this excellent description, I really appreciate it!  :)
It's this kind of information that make this web site the best in the world regarding knowledge of our first gen Camaros!
All this information you just gave me should be added to the CRG article because it's hard to read that info out right now...

My friends X77D80 is also a 06A car so that would be perfect with that picture. I'll send you a PM.
Have you seen my question regarding the 723 interior painting? Maybe you have pictures of that to?

Wasn't  it hard to mask and paint the trunk lid whith the spoiler already mounted?

How exactly do you mean the rear striping are ment to be on the 69? Is it the 5/8" gap to the rear window you mean or do you refer to the spacing between the stripes....?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 11:03:23 PM »
Email sent.
Learning more and more about less and less...

anything