Author Topic: Brake and Fuel lines, hoses, and clips...where to buy?  (Read 14670 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: Brake and Fuel lines, hoses, and clips...where to buy?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »
In answer to #10 I did mate to existing fittings. Another note about syn-fluid, White Post Restorations told me when I returned my master cylinder for their lifetime warranty that if I had used syn-fluid they would not cover the warranty. I had not and they did not say what they had against syn-fluid.

My mistake also: DOT 5 is silicon based. We have discussed this in the past, but for a rehash, here is some info:

Of critical importance in determining a fluids ability to handle high temperature applications is the Dry Boiling Point and compressibility.

The Dry Boiling Point is the temperature at which a brake fluid will boil in its virgin non-contaminated state. The highest temperature Dry Boiling Point available in a DOT 3 fluid is 572° F.

The Wet Boiling Point is the temperature a brake fluid will boil after it has been fully saturated with moisture. The DOT 3 requirement for wet boiling point is a minimum temperature of 284° F.

There are many ways for moisture to enter your brake system. Condensation from regular use, washing the vehicle and humidity are the most common, with little hope of prevention. Glycol based DOT 3 & 4 fluids are hygroscopic; they absorb brake system moisture, and over time the boiling point is gradually reduced. Here is a scary statistic, a new car at 12 months old will have a 2% water content if never driven, at 18 months it will be 3% or higher depending on atmospheric conditions. It is not unusual to have 8-12% water content in the average automobile on the street.

You should not use DOT 5 fluid in any racing application for the following reasons. DOT 5 fluid is not hygroscopic, so as moisture enters the system, it is not absorbed by the fluid, and results in beads of moisture moving through the brake line, collecting in the calipers. It is not uncommon to have caliper temperatures exceed 200° F, and at 212° F, this collected moisture will boil causing vapor lock and system failure. Additionally, DOT 5 fluid is highly compressible due to aeration and foaming under normal braking conditions, providing a spongy brake feel. DOT 5 fluid is best suited for show car applications where its anti-corrosion and paint friendly characteristics are important.

Whenever you add fresh fluid to your existing system (never mix fluids of different DOT classifications), it immediately becomes contaminated, lowering the boiling point of the new fluid. For maximum performance, start with the highest Dry Boiling Point available, flush the system completely, and flush it regularly, especially after severe temperatures have been experienced.

If you happen to mix DOT 3/4 and DOT 5 you will end up with a coagulated gel that will seriously compromise your braking performance. Dot 5.1 is a Glycol based fluid like DOT 3 or 4 and should not be confused with DOT 5 which is silicone based, many new European cars specify DOT 5 but in Europe they don't recognize the silicone based (DOT 5) fluid so they really mean DOT 5.1, ensure you don't confuse the two. DOT 5.1 was developed for ABS braking systems and is of a thinner viscosity to allow shorter cycle timing, it's boiling point is similar to DOT 3 or 4.

Much of this info I cut and pasted from the Wilwood brakes site and I have had similar expierience with GT3 racing cars when I tried DOT 5, it was a waste of time and money.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 02:24:02 AM »
I appreciate all the thoughts and advice given here....and the time people took to do it.

After weighing all the replies here and ones I got over at Team Camaro, searches I did on the Internet about stainless steel lines leaking, and talking in person to experienced people ......I have decided to go with OEM steel lines and not stainless.

There are people out there who have had no trouble with stainless and others that have had nothing but trouble with them. If I got stainless, it's seems it would be a crap shoot as to which of those two categories I am going to end up falling into. The people who have had trouble seem to outweigh those who didn't so that's the direction I decided to go.

I still weighing between Right Stuff Detailing, In Line Tube, and Classic Tube for where to get them but am leaning towards Classic Tube.

As far as clips and fasteners, the ones I have seen on Heartbeat City's website look closer to original than any other's I have seen so I will be going with those.

Again....thanks for all the help

Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
I appreciate all the thoughts and advice given here....and the time people took to do it.

After weighing all the replies here and ones I got over at Team Camaro, searches I did on the Internet about stainless steel lines leaking, and talking in person to experienced people ......I have decided to go with OEM steel lines and not stainless.

There are people out there who have had no trouble with stainless and others that have had nothing but trouble with them. If I got stainless, it's seems it would be a crap shoot as to which of those two categories I am going to end up falling into. The people who have had trouble seem to outweigh those who didn't so that's the direction I decided to go.

I still weighing between Right Stuff Detailing, In Line Tube, and Classic Tube for where to get them but am leaning towards Classic Tube.

As far as clips and fasteners, the ones I have seen on Heartbeat City's website look closer to original than any other's I have seen so I will be going with those.

Again....thanks for all the help

Dave
In Line tube is the best from what I have determined from my experiences but would guess everyone has had both good and not so good experiences from all of them. In Line also sells some pretty good hardware items but as I commented earlier, I used many of my originals parts. In my build thread I show pictures of originals with stampings and do some comparisons along with how the AIM is incorrect in one area concerning a brake line.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
Chick, just wondering what your experience is that makes you favor In Line Tube.

Dave

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »
Just put my order in to Classic Tube. Will update comparable to OE lines when the shipment comes in. Have yet to come across any negative posts concerning Inline Tube, even had them bookmarked as first choice vendor for the lines. Just so happened the kit I dealt with last year was Classic, and I was very pleased. Might be a case of " six of one, 1/2 dozen of another"

Ended up going with OE steel to keep concurrent with the rest of the under hood detailing. My originals are still in good shape from 68, new lines should make it another 50 years! As posted/recommended, will be coating them with Sharkhide.

How is the rest of the system? Calipers, MC, hoses, etc..?  Good time to rebuild distribution block, hold off valve. And prop valve if so equipped(sub frame under driver's side door)
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
Chick, just wondering what your experience is that makes you favor In Line Tube.

Dave
Well from two examples of brake lines theirs fit the best but that was just for my car which accounts for one but also I had saved a article on restoration and that restorer used them exclusively. Others had told me they had good luck with them also.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 11:34:43 PM »
In-line tubes brake lines fit perfect.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »

When I look back at what I wrote, it came out sounding wrong. It looks like I am saying how experienced are you? That wasn't how it was meant. What I was trying say was what kind of experiences have you had with different company's brake lines that made your favor one brand over another?....I just wanted to clarify that.

You still answered the question I was trying to ask.

Thanks.......Dave

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »
I've used In-Line tube for Camaros and GTO and had no issues.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 12:16:10 AM »
Scott, any thoughts or opinions on the stainless lines vs OEM steel lines and leakage problems with the stainless.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 12:54:09 AM »
Scott, any thoughts or opinions on the stainless lines vs OEM steel lines and leakage problems with the stainless.
To correct my previous post, Right Stuff was used for the GTO and no issues with them either. I've always used steel lines, never had a reason to use stainless on a restoration. As should be apparent, because the stainless is harder, it will not seat as easily as steel. Daily drivers I use copper/nickel lines as many I know do.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 02:14:33 AM »
After a lot reading here and at Team Camaro and talking to some people who do restorations for a living or have a lot of restoration experience, I decided to go with the OEM steel and lines and ordered them from Inline Tube.

For clips and fasteners, I bought my brake line clips from Heartbeat City, my fuel line clips from Inline Tube, and some miscellaneous parts that were not included in the either kit from Heartbeat City......Not saying that they are not out there, but I did not see any kit that included every piece shown in the AIM of both the brake and fuel line clips and fasteners.

Thanks for everyone's help on this......I feels good to have this settled and the parts ordered.

Dave

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
If we are taking a poll, I have used In Line Tube for many years. I feel theirs is the best on the market.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
I used In Line Tube oem steel on my car.  All brake lines, fuel lines (pump to filter, filter to carb, tank to pump and return), transmission cooler lines, and trans modulator line, and vacuum advance line.  All fit perfect and look great.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »
Just put my order in to Classic Tube. Will update comparable to OE lines when the shipment comes in. Have yet to come across any negative posts concerning Inline Tube, even had them bookmarked as first choice vendor for the lines. Just so happened the kit I dealt with last year was Classic, and I was very pleased. Might be a case of " six of one, 1/2 dozen of another"

Ended up going with OE steel to keep concurrent with the rest of the under hood detailing. My originals are still in good shape from 68, new lines should make it another 50 years! As posted/recommended, will be coating them with Sharkhide.

How is the rest of the system? Calipers, MC, hoses, etc..?  Good time to rebuild distribution block, hold off valve. And prop valve if so equipped(sub frame under driver's side door)

I'm into this brake thing now. What is Sharkhide? Could you educate me? Thanks.
Jimmy V.