Author Topic: Heater Hose Bracket Bolt  (Read 9617 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Heater Hose Bracket Bolt
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:03:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct bolt that is used that holds the heater hose bracket on top the alternator bracket on a 69 Camaro 350?

Is it a 3/8 or 5/16 indented head bolt? ???

Thanks...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Hose Bracket Bolt
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
3/8" indented hex head.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
JohnZ,

Thanks for the reply.....would the head of the bolt fit a 9/16" socket or 1/2" ???

Is the correct bolt available???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:40:18 PM by camaronut »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »
JohnZ,

Thanks for the reply.....would the head of the bolt fit a 9/16" socket or 1/2" ???

Is the correct bolt available???

The hex head takes a 3/8" socket - try AMK Products (www.amkproducts.com) for a similar replacement; spend the money for their catalog - it's worth it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:12:53 AM »
Also, when/if you order from them, just ask for a catalog.  They wont charge for it with an order (they didnt for me).
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
Attached are pics of the screw on my 69Z, Norwood car assembled 05A.  The only place in the 69 AIM I could find the GM part number of this screw was page 223, under the C60 option covering the AC system.  P/N-9420152 screw and P/N-3825419 clip are called out.  AMK unfortunately does not have a listing for this screw which would show the screw, but they do have the heater hose clip (AMK item #B-10005 if you look for it on the on-line catalog, or p. 151 in their catalog).

The screw is a self tapping, 1/4-20 x 1/2", with indented head and the manufacturer's marking "RBW".  AMK bolt #B-12302, 1/4-20 x 1/2", indented head with "NL" markings and an encapsulated lock washer is close. 

Any time I find a survivor Camaro that still has its original hardware still in tact, I try to get pictures. Unfortunately, this screw is often removed and lost because it along with the alt. bracket is removed for a number of maintenance related jobs. I do have pics of this screw from some “top notch” restored cars, but the RBW screw was “the original” according the owner and replated.  So that is all I have to go on at this point.

Does any one have their original, or pics or an original, screw?  Pics of this screw along with a note on the build date and plant would be great!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »
Paragon has that exact same screw, their #1189K, 7 bolts for $5.00 - it was used on midyear Corvette radio ground straps and the front crossover brake line clip, and has the RBW headmark.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 07:12:24 AM »
Good to know, something I will correct in the near future.

As far as the two heater hose brackets (alt and inner fender), I Palmetto ZnPh both of them.  I dont think that is necessarily correct, but was more of a test than anything else, just to see how it would look.

The alt bracket looks light in color in that pic, but is the same as the inner fender bracket.  Just dont have a detail pic of it.

Were both of those black paint?  I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", just wanted to make sure.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:15:28 AM by RamAirDave »
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
Thanks to all..

I thought that it was a 3/8" bolt, not a 3/8" head.

I almost drilled my original to fit a 3/8" bolt, indented head which was 9/16"

Now I'm straight....

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
As far as the two heater hose brackets (alt and inner fender), I Palmetto ZnPh both of them.  I dont think that is necessarily correct, but was more of a test than anything else, just to see how it would look.The alt bracket looks light in color in that pic, but is the same as the inner fender bracket.  Just dont have a detail pic of it.

Were both of those black paint?  I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", just wanted to make sure.

Nope, not painted - they were both dark phosphate-plated; the color of the inner fender bracket in the photo looks about right.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything