Author Topic: Master Cylinder  (Read 6916 times)

Norm69X55

• View Profile
Master Cylinder
« on: November 18, 2005, 01:21:54 AM »
Hi Everyone, this is my first (of probably many) posts on this site about my newly purchased 69 Camaro SS. It is a Canadian delivered car with a 03D build date. I was able to get the GM of Canada documentation for it and it does have the X55 code on the Trim Tag. Right now it does not have the origional brake master cylinder installed, but I did find a used one in the trunk when I bought the car. The one that was in the trunk, has a casting number of 5460346 on one side of it and also a "OD2" (I think) cast on the other side. I did not seem to be able to find a date code cast on it anywhere, but I did find a 1159 stamped on one of the machined pads where a brake line ataches to. One other thing I found on it, is a "ZA" stamped on the machined pad at the front of the unit. I was wondering if anyone on this site could decode this and tell me if it was the correct origional one for my car.
Thanks, Norm
69 SS X55 4Sp
70 RS/Z28 4Sp

Leonard1

• View Profile
Re: Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:05:27 PM »
I think the 346 master was used in '67 & '68, and maybe early '69, but I would think an 03D car would have the 309 master cylinder.  The "ZA" stamped on the front will tell the exact application for the unit, but I don't have any way to cross reference it for you.  I'm sure someone else on the site will be able to help you out there.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 03:15:49 AM »
First off Welcome, I'm pretty new here also but found this to be very addictive and informative, hope you do also.  I'm not sure about the part number, can't track that down right now but I do know the correct code for a 69 with power disc is US.  You did not mention if you had manual/power/disc/drum so I thought that might eliminate one.  Good luck!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:45:16 AM »
Does anyone know what that 'OD2' means?  ???

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:15:28 AM »
Pex:  being an X55 car (SS350, no style trim), it should be power disc/drum.

RJ:  Check that number again (sometimes it can be faint).  The date code is cast into the side of the MC, and is a Julian date code.  I'm guessing it may be "002", which would be the 2nd day of the calendar year.

dave
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:35:07 AM »
No, it's different from the date code, now that I look closer, the O actually looks more like a pie cut into 6 slices. I see lots of master cylinders with similar codes, OD1 OD2 OD3 OD4 OD67 on ebay. With the O's looking likes pies. Maybe it's just some internal coding that delco used.

anything