Author Topic: International Camaro Club  (Read 19076 times)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
Re: International Camaro Club
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »
What ever happened to the United States Camaro Club? I think I may have joined that one around 1990 because I have that sticker.

It's understandable to feel left out when a club you belong to, but have no control over, gets sold out.

Remember when Team Camaro was sold? It sure seems like things changed a bit after that.

I also wonder what would happen if a big money was offered for CRG and they sold. That would be bad. Many people contribute to CRG believing it is an altruistic group dedicated to gathering and analyzing data for the greater good. And for the most part it is, but the reality is it's probably owned by one or more individuals and most of us have no control over it.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
I also wonder what would happen if a big money was offered for CRG and they sold. That would be bad. Many people contribute to CRG believing it is an altruistic group dedicated to gathering and analyzing data for the greater good. And for the most part it is, but the reality is it's probably owned by one or more individuals and most of us have no control over it.

NOPE! The Camaro Research Group is owned by no one. Kurt Sonen is the Copyright Manager and Doug DePew owns (or at least supplies) the server space (for free I might add), but no one person owns the Camaro Research Group. In a sense, it's owned by no one and everyone!

And I know of NO plans to sell the site or the name, and I can definitely tell you the data will NEVER be sold or disclosed to ANYONE but other CRG members, and then only if it's required. There are only three or four people that have access to the data and it's because they maintain their particular years. I used to have the 1968 cars, but it was taken over by Steve when I left.

And speaking of leaving, I get numerous emails asking when I'll be coming back and all I can say is that I'm still having personal issues, so it won't be any time soon. However, I DO foresee a time in the (not too distant) future when I'll be returning. If they'll have me!

Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:23:56 AM by bertfam »

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:34:19 PM »

NOPE! The Camaro Research Group is owned by no one. Kurt Sonen is the Copyright Manager and Doug DePew owns (or at least supplies) the server space (for free I might add), but no one person owns the Camaro Research Group. In a sense, it's owned by no one and everyone!

And I know of NO plans to sell the site or the name.

Ed

Amen. The answer I was hoping and expecting. Thanks Ed.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 01:27:12 AM »

And I know of NO plans to sell the site or the name, and I can definitely tell you the data will NEVER be sold or disclosed to ANYONE but other CRG members, and then only if it's required. There are only three or four people that have access to the data and it's because they maintain their particular years. I used to have the 1968 cars, but it was taken over by Steve when I left.

And speaking of leaving, I get numerous emails asking when I'll be coming back and all I can say is that I'm still having personal issues, so it won't be any time soon. However, I DO foresee a time in the (not too distant) future when I'll be returning. If they'll have me!

Ed

Well that's good news. I suppose if it's set up so no one person owns it that would make selling out more difficult.

But some one, or LLC, or something, must own the domain name. Is CRG modeled after any other group?

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 02:27:24 AM »
Glad to see Ed back on the forum anyway. His post are always informative.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 02:30:10 AM »
But some one, or LLC, or something, must own the domain name. Is CRG modeled after any other group?

Kurt is listed as the IP owner (Intellectual Property Rights owner), but I'm not sure if he owns the domain name or not. That may be Doug. I'll have to have Kurt chime in.

As for the CRG being modeled after any other group, it was originally (and informally) associated with Wayne Guinn's camaro-Untoldsecrets.com (no longer active), but evolved into it's own entity with additional requirements, restrictions and set of rules. the CRG history is actually pretty interesting, and is more than what's stated on the ABOUT page! Next year will be the "official" 20th anniversary (although it's been around a little longer than that in an unofficial capacity)!

Kurt might have more to add (or correct!)

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 03:22:51 AM »
Not much to add. It's a group thing.
Thanks to Doug for covering the costs for operating the site.
We accept no advertising and have no interest in cashing in - that's not why we started the group.
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 05:30:58 AM »
Glad to see you back Ed. :)

Thanks Doug for the server space, and making it easy for us to enjoy!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 04:52:15 PM »
What ever happened to the United States Camaro Club? I think I may have joined that one around 1990 because I have that sticker.

It's understandable to feel left out when a club you belong to, but have no control over, gets sold out.

Remember when Team Camaro was sold? It sure seems like things changed a bit after that.

I'm only going by memory so I might not get this all correct or the dates accurate.  My memory isn't what it used to be for sure.  I joined the United States Camaro Club I think in the late 1980's when it was based in Dayton, Ohio.  They moved to Apopka, Florida sometime in the early 1990's.  They had a bi-monthly magazine called "Camaro Corral" originally which was changed at some point to "Camaro Enthusiast".  In the late 1990's or early 2000's they were taken over by  Classic Chevys (I think specializing in 1955-57 Chevys), which was then or soon became Eckler's.  I stopped sending in my membership dues soon after.  In my opinion with each succeeding move, the U.S. Camaro Club became less enjoyable and less of what I joined the club for in the first place, which was to connect with other Camaro buffs and learn more about all generations of Camaros. 
Just to add:  the best Camaro club I ever belonged to was in the late 1970's to early 1980's here in California called the California Z/28 Association.  I don't know whatever happened to them, but I think they have been gone for decades. 

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
That's it. I had those Camaro Corral magazines for years then finally tossed them when I moved about 20 years ago.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:25 PM »
I still have my complete sets of the "Camaro Corral" and "Camaro Enthusiast". A lot of great articles and information. (Back then there were no computers to look things up. You actually had to read a magazine or book to get the info). Also a lot of great pictures in those magazines. I'm sure a lot of members on this site had there cars in those magazines and don't even know it. But I believe beginning in the 90's it was turned into "Camaro World".
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
The ICC was based in the Pennsylvania Poconos region. They had many regional chapters and a newsletter. I was a member for many years and believe the club disbanded in about 1998. I used to really enjoy their Camaro National show in the Poconos. The ACA picked up the pieces and resurrected the Camaro Nationals show in Carlisle in 1999 and relocated in Fredrick MD in 2010 or 2011. 
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

SMS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
I still have my complete sets of the "Camaro Corral" and "Camaro Enthusiast". A lot of great articles and information. (Back then there were no computers to look things up. You actually had to read a magazine or book to get the info). Also a lot of great pictures in those magazines. I'm sure a lot of members on this site had there cars in those magazines and don't even know it. But I believe beginning in the 90's it was turned into "Camaro World".

Rick,
Any chance you have the Sept/October 1996 issue of Camaro Enthusiast?  I'm looking for a detailed 68 Z under hood pic that is published in that one.

Thanks,
Bill

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 12:02:57 AM »
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

SMS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 01:08:12 AM »
This is the article and photo I’m looking for a copy of. 

anything