Author Topic: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA  (Read 26629 times)

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
Re: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
chick, are you suggesting to not clean it with wax and grease remover? mine is in its box and I hadnt decided to clear it or anything yet
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
Maybe I can shed some light on what I believe is taking place.  As an ex-Industrial Mechanical Engineer and involved with rolls of raw steel I have good idea of what is most likely happening with these tanks.

My guess is "U.S. Steel" which is probably if not the largest steel manufacture out there (at least in North America) is the supplier of the steel used in the manufacturing of the tanks.  Also about 10 yrs ago "U.S. Steel" bought out a Canadian steel company and that facility became know as "U.S. Steel Canada".   I'm not sure where these tanks are manufactured in Canada, but "U.S. Steel" have a few facilities around the great lake area also.

Btw....HBC does state in their listing that these tanks are "Made in the USA/Canada" (Third line of description).

Hence why your seeing two stickers...IMO

Long ago when researching Ni-Terne, US Steel popped up immediately. As noted, HBC clearly states USA/Canada.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »
chick, are you suggesting to not clean it with wax and grease remover? mine is in its box and I hadnt decided to clear it or anything yet
As others have suggested.. I wouldn't do anything to it.  Leave as is.  That's the purpose of Ni-Terne steel.  Has an added step in corrosion protection over plain Terne steel or even galvanized steel for that matter.

Just plug and play..lol
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
And do NOT put one of the sealers inside.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 11:21:34 PM »
Yes! I personally cleaned one and hated the look as again it took the galvanized look away and it looked like a piece of plain sheet-metal with too much shine. This week we placed the one in the 68Z and just placed it like it came out of the box and did nothing to it. Its well protected.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »
 Don't you think that as time passes that the protection will eventually fade away from air exposure?
I'm not talking about the galvanizing but the protection you are referring to.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »
Don't you think that as time passes that the protection will eventually fade away from air exposure?
I'm not talking about the galvanizing but the protection you are referring to.

Mike
I just installed my tank tonight. The oil or whatever it is will come off at some point. If its driven like mine will be, I think it will disappear pretty quickly. It doesn't look like the ni-terne will suffer much without it. I'm sure the finish will wear over time like anything else.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

1971ls6

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
Anytime you are trying to sell an original part to a business like HBC , expect to get hosed a little, they need to make money, I get it. HBC beat me up real bad when I sold him some pulleys, he said they were firebirds and insulted me with a low ball offer, I took the m home and threw them away.

I do agree that HBC does have some unique and better quality items than t he other Camaro houses.
69 Copo 12.28 @ 117.50 4spd on polyglas
71 LS6 vette 12.31@118 mph PSMCDR

cruizin69

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:30 PM »
I don't blame you, if it is made in Canada say it is.
I would rather buy something made in North America than over seas.
Can you post some pictures of the made in Canada stamp on the tank?

cruizin69

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
How do you what make a tank is if it is out of the box?
Are there markings or stamps to identify different manufactures?

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »
I'm not sure if any of the manufacturers mark their tanks like that. I didn't notice any markings on my tank other than the sticker.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:05 PM »
I just opened one up today for a Camaro, bought from HBC.   It has a sticker on it plain as day that says made in Canada, and a bag of parts and instructions with it that has Spectra all over it.

It's the way I've seen them for the last 4-5 years.   Same Spectra tanks that most of the classic car vendors sell.  Even Autozone sells them.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »
I just opened one up today for a Camaro, bought from HBC.   It has a sticker on it plain as day that says made in Canada, and a bag of parts and instructions with it that has Spectra all over it.

It's the way I've seen them for the last 4-5 years.   Same Spectra tanks that most of the classic car vendors sell.  Even Autozone sells them.
Are you really having that hard a time with what I'm saying? I'll say this real slow for you one more time... Jim, the owner of HBC, told me to my face that the tank is Made in the USA. The sticker on the box he handed me, not the tank, says Made in the USA. You can't see Made in the USA until you take the tank out of the box and out of the shrink wrap. Jim, the owner of HBC, tried to screw me out of a discount.
I understand you are a cheerleader for HBC, but put your pom poms down for a second and try to grasp the point of all this... It has NOTHING to do with the fact that Spectra tanks are made in Canada. It is an awesome tank and I like Canadian products just fine. HBC isn't even a Spectra dealer. They just re-sell the tanks sourced elsewhere. It has everything to do with HBC's integrity and shady business practices.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
Nothing on my box says made in the USA.   No need to be rude, and after all this time it should be water under the bridge for you, Just move on for petes sake, sheeesh.
   I'm no cheerleader, just stating facts.  Spectra has been around for a long time, and most people I know are very much aware that Spectra is the big supplier to the vendors, so when you buy a tank you can bet it's Spectra.  I'm not even aware of any gas tank actually stamped and manufactured in the US.  You were misled, it happens.  You like the tank so get over it, install it, drive the car and be happy. 

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »
Nothing on my box says made in the USA.   No need to be rude, and after all this time it should be water under the bridge for you, Just move on for petes sake, sheeesh.
   I'm no cheerleader, just stating facts.  Spectra has been around for a long time, and most people I know are very much aware that Spectra is the big supplier to the vendors, so when you buy a tank you can bet it's Spectra.  I'm not even aware of any gas tank actually stamped and manufactured in the US.  You were misled, it happens.  You like the tank so get over it, install it, drive the car and be happy. 
I did move on. I answered someone's question/request. I wasn't misled. I was lied to. Your post tells me you still don't get it. I think you need to take your own advice and move on.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

anything