Author Topic: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA  (Read 26637 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »
".......... I've spent about $8k (actually more I just hate to add up the receipts, lol) "

Good move. As long as you don't add them up you will not be lying to your significant other if they should ask "how much have you spent on the car"? You can honestly say: "I don't know"  ;)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
".......... I've spent about $8k (actually more I just hate to add up the receipts, lol) "

Good move. As long as you don't add them up you will not be lying to your significant other if they should ask "how much have you spent on the car"? You can honestly say: "I don't know"  ;)

Mike

LOL, boy that's the truth

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
For the record, I bought my Spectra gas tank from Heartbeat back around Christmas time when they had a 25% off sale and they gave me the discount no problem at all.

Spectra as of right now is one of the best aftermarket tanks on the market, I've used them in a few restorations.  I really don't care if it's made in Canada or the US, in my opinion Canada is way better than the alternatives.

I have no beef with Heartbeat at all, I've spent about $8k (actually more I just hate to add up the receipts, lol)  over there in the last 6 months when they have sales.  They have treated me right so far and I haven't a complaint yet about a part.
Some of us do care about deceitful businesses and I do care whether or not it's made in USA. A lot of people think like you. As I've said several times, this is not about Canadian products. I have no problem with Canada. I do have a problem with a putz that pulled what he pulled yesterday and especially about him trying to profit off a Made in the USA label. Do you have a problem with stolen Valor or as long as they don't harm you its ok? Principles and values are going down the crapper.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
I don't pay attention really so I guess it doesn't bother me as much.  I just know what brands of parts I like, what fits good and what doesn't when it comes to restoring these things, so I watch who I buy from, but as far as who makes it, we have no control over it so no use in worrying too much about it, but that's just me.  If it fits I'm good with it.  If it doesn't I just send it back :shrug:

I knew it was a Spectra tank before I ordered it anyway, and I know they are made in Canada because I've bought about a dozen of these things in the last 2 years.  I honestly don't care if Jim at Heartbeat says it's USA made, that really doesn't concern me anyway.  I know where Spectra comes from, I know it's a good product, it appears correct and fits correct, and I get them from whomever has the best price on them.  That's all I really care about.  I pay no attention to the political side of it, that's just wasted energy.  At the time Jim's 25% off sale couldn't be beat.  He had other things I needed so I placed a bulk order.
 Now the only time I would have a problem with it is if he actually jacked the price up 100% over others selling the same Spectra tank just because he put a USA label on it.  But that's just not the case, Jim beat everyone else's price on the Spectra tank and that's all I care about, he didn't rip me off in the form of money so I'm good.  I wouldn't care if he said the Pope made it, lol.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Yep. Don't care... That's my point. Too many people "don't care". He does jack the prices up a ton. Last night when he tried to screw me out of the discount he said, "It's a great deal, it's made in the USA." Lied right to my face. You paid what, $131+ shipping for the tank?  I paid $111., but I should have left it. Rock Auto has it for $92.00 +$16.00 shipping. If you think you're getting deal from HBC, you aren't looking very hard or he's giving you better prices because you spend a lot.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
No need for attacks, if you have a gripe that's fine, people have a right to complain.  I also feel it's important to express good experiences as well.  People are always quick to bitch about this or that, but the sad part is you never hear anything when someone has a good experience.  So I expressed mine.

I also never said I was buying from Heartbeat and paying full price, I only purchased from Jim when they had a 25% off sale, and when those sales were in place, yes he was cheaper than everyone else, and yes I shopped around, even had a post on here about it around Christmas time.   Without the sale, yes he's higher on some parts, others not so much.  You aren't talking to a rooky, I restore cars for a living and buy from about 25 different vendors. 
     With that said, it's important to point out there are parts Heartbeat carries that are better quality than some other vendors out there, and I'm willing to pay a little more in those cases, and that's what I mean when I say he has the best deals, it's not just the prices, but the quality of the part.  I'll gladly pay $20 for something that fits rather than save $5 on it somewhere else and have a piece of junk.  When he has a 25% off sale, it's even better.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
HBC is my choice for pieces/parts. Spectra make's a great tank and it is made in the America's.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 11:04:57 PM »
No need for attacks, if you have a gripe that's fine, people have a right to complain.  I also feel it's important to express good experiences as well.  People are always quick to bitch about this or that, but the sad part is you never hear anything when someone has a good experience.  So I expressed mine.

I also never said I was buying from Heartbeat and paying full price, I only purchased from Jim when they had a 25% off sale, and when those sales were in place, yes he was cheaper than everyone else, and yes I shopped around, even had a post on here about it around Christmas time.   Without the sale, yes he's higher on some parts, others not so much.  You aren't talking to a rooky, I restore cars for a living and buy from about 25 different vendors. 
     With that said, it's important to point out there are parts Heartbeat carries that are better quality than some other vendors out there, and I'm willing to pay a little more in those cases, and that's what I mean when I say he has the best deals, it's not just the prices, but the quality of the part.  I'll gladly pay $20 for something that fits rather than save $5 on it somewhere else and have a piece of junk.  When he has a 25% off sale, it's even better.
Your opinion means exactly squat to me. You said yourself that you don't pay attention and you don't care . No attacks, just stating facts and asking questions. I started the thread which means I care and do pay attention. If you don't like the thread, move on. The internet has plenty of room for you.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
Now you're just being a dick.  Why?  Because I don't care who makes a part?  Maybe you need to wake up and look around, most everything is imported now and what little the USA does make doesn't mean it's better anymore.  You already stated you like the part and are happy with the quality, you also are happy you got a good price.  As far as I'm concerned, you did fine, you really have nothing to bitch about.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »

When do they have a 25% sale? I've bought many things from Heartbeat (lot's of $$$$) and overall I've never complained but that does not mean a "to return something" has gone effortlessly. And there are things that are advertised not correctly IMHO but yes overall they offer the best of what is available but one still has to due their homework both in what your purchasing and the price. I just installed a gas tank from the same Canadian supplier to our 68Z. Nice gas tank! I purchased the tank from Quanta (picked it up) and there are no "made in USA" sticker/s on the box. They are drop shipped many times from Indiana as I purchased and the first two that came were damaged, hence the pick up at Quanta. I'm thinking Dave what would have bothered me the most would be the changing of price.
Glad you got it for a good price!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:38:29 PM »

When do they have a 25% sale? I've bought many things from Heartbeat (lot's of $$$$) and overall I've never complained but that does not mean a "to return something" has gone effortlessly. And there are things that are advertised not correctly IMHO but yes overall they offer the best of what is available but one still has to due their homework both in what your purchasing and the price. I just installed a gas tank from the same Canadian supplier to our 68Z. Nice gas tank! I purchased the tank from Quanta (picked it up) and there are no "made in USA" sticker/s on the box. They are drop shipped many times from Indiana as I purchased and the first two that came were damaged, hence the pick up at Quanta. I'm thinking Dave what would have bothered me the most would be the changing of price.
Glad you got it for a good price!

Thanks Chick. The price change definitely bothered me a lot, but unlike a few others, Made in the USA still means something to me. Would I have still bought the Spectra tank knowing it was built in Canada? Yes. That wasn't my point in all of this. I'm irritated about the deceit. I'm amazed that people are ok with that. I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

dino67

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:45 PM »
It's not ok to be lied to by any vendor. At the very least HBC should check the product labeling.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »
Just for the record.   I'm on Dave's side of this argument.  I DO care about retaining manufacturing capability in the US, because I think I KNOW what will happen when we lose all our manufacturing expertise and capabilities.   and I DO definitely care about 'less than honest' people.   Once I learn someone deliberately attempts to mislead, then I discontinue any business I might have with them.

Re HBC, I've bought a few small reproduction items from him - probably the same parts I could get elsewhere and paid about the same prices... BUt... I've also discussed with him possibly selling him what most people, including him, consider 'rare' NOS parts.   When he is buying those parts, or trying to...  your parts are 'not that rare' when he offers you 25% of what the market is... Those same parts, once in his warehouse are 'ultra rare' and his prices are generally twice what the market is...  Some people in business..  you just have to assume they will "Lie for $$"...

While we all have our opinions re this and other issues, I don't think it's a good thing, and certainly not constructive to our collective 'good will'.. . to resort to name calling, or even being rude to one another in our typed words.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 02:24:55 AM »
Ok , what is everyone putting on the tanks to preserve the finish ? Satin clear or ?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 02:32:31 AM »
 On my 67 convertible I sprayed Imron satin clear polyurethane on a new tank back in 1987.
To this day it still has a natural appearance and looks great with no yellowing or peeling.
If you decide to use a clear I would not use a spray can version but something with an activator.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything