Author Topic: Suspenion paint markings  (Read 6301 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Suspenion paint markings
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
Thought you guys would like to see the numerous paint daubs on the 69Z suspension, 12D norwood car.  Hope this might help anyone with a future restoration where these markings usually don't survive.  There are many more than pictured here so I just highlighted a few.  Enjoy these while they are up, I'm having issues with photobucket.

Tore it all down for control arm bushing replacement and ran everything through the parts washer.  Paint marks began to appear.  They'll get a short soak in evaporust for a quick removal of surface rust and some satin clear to preserve them for a future restoration.  Until then they go back into service.

Center link, has a lot of white on it right in the center with a hint of orange left as well.

This is just one tie rod, but all 4 of them had a liberal amount of orange on the ends

Here is one spindle.  A lot of white on the top side and then liberal amounts of orange, so much so that there are runs in it. There is also a small amount of green inside the spindle.   The other spindle was the same with with white on top and a lot of orange, but no green found on that one. 

Revsitup

• View Profile
Re: Suspenion paint markings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »
My 02d norwood Z had similar markings on the spindles.   

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »
I held the part so that when using an eye dropper to put a drop of paint it would run down the part like the original marks.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »
That's an interesting approach James.

I've since soaked everything in evaporust for about 10 hours, enough to remove what little surface rust they had and save the paint markings.  Spindles seemed to have the surface rust while tie rods and center link were virtually rust free.  I think the latter pieces were likely coated with a film or oil and/or grease early in life before surface rust set in.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics! Our 68 had more of just a large Dab and small stroke. Different strokes by different folks!
And that James has all kind of neat tricks and what is great, he shares a lot!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »
Well I was trying to load some new pics after evaporust and lost some of the others  :(   I'll figure this out eventually.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »
I had white, orange, and baby blue. Trace of yellow left on the tie rods. Rust hasn't been an issue, but that #$ undercoating. I soaked them in Stoddard solvent, then a lacquer thinner bath. After everything sloughed off, inspection marks showed clearly. I shot some pics ( for a replication source). I'll end up posting, been busy, cameras out back in the shop. Now I'm in a holding pattern until it warms up. Subframe and control arms ready to shoot

Little off the thread, but what are you guys using to treat the rotor's cooling fins ? Mine are still well in spec, so I'm using them. They are getting an evapo-rust bath next weekend. I'll pick up another set of rotors/hubs when the cars back on the pavement putting some miles on it.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
Well I was trying to load some new pics after evaporust and lost some of the others  :(   I'll figure this out eventually.

Larry a few suggestions re the pix:   When you get the images from your camera (or phone), rename them in your computer; I have all my Camaro photos in one area, segmented by topic as much as I can so I can find them more easily.  Once they are in your computer, check their sizes (jpg files are better), then you can run Paint or similar to 'crop them to the area you want to send' (which will reduce their size some).  Finally, use a software tool like 'Light Image Resizer' to reduce file to the desired size.  Note the single file size limit, and the MESSAGE file size limit before posting.)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 04:11:01 AM »
Upload them directly to the site when you post. External sites tend to go away eventually....
It's under "+ Attachments and other options".
Kurt S
CRG

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to play around with this some more and figure it out.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
I use Microsoft picture manager and my pictures come out way bigger than I intend, even when reduced to below the size limit listed on our site. I need to do some more research and experimentation in the testing area to figure this out.
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »
I use Microsoft picture manager and my pictures come out way bigger than I intend, even when reduced to below the size limit listed on our site. I need to do some more research and experimentation in the testing area to figure this out.

On CRG we're limited to a single image file size of  200 Kilobytes (which isn't very large), and a total post image size (for up to 4 images) of 500 Kb.  For each of your images, the first thing to do is to 'crop' the image area to the region that is needed to show whatever it is you want/need to show.  That will provide a small measure of file size reduction with a corresponding reduction in image area on the screen.

There are two other issues re image size, and you need to be conscious of both of them.

1)  How large the image is on your screen is a function of the image resolution in pixels (horiz, vert) and your screen resolution.  Each of us have control of screen resolution on our computers.  For the image resolution, approx 800 h and 600 v is a good choice for most of us; it will be large enough for viewers, but shouldn't be larger than our entire screen (unless your screen resolution is set for something old like VGA 640x480 format).. :)

2) Second is File Size which you can check via 'file properties' on your computer.  This must be smaller than 200 Kb to post to CRG.  File size is related to the image size (h, v), but is not a fixed relationship due to jpg compression).     Image compression by techniques such as JPG greatly reduce your file size while maintaining your original image resolution in pixels (at a slight cost in image quality); if done correctly you probably won't be able to see any loss.

Additionally, using file/image size reduction software such as 'Light Image Resizer', you can maintain a good screen based image resolution, AND reduce the file size even smaller than what your original jpg file was, in only a jiffy... :)

You can download a 'free personal use copy' of Light Image Resizer here.
http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
You don't need to have a large file size to have a crisp picture. I save lots of pics and documents and few are over 200Kb.
I use Irfanview and watch my pixel size and keep the jpg quality at 70% (I don't see much difference at an even lower %).
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »
You don't need to have a large file size to have a crisp picture. I save lots of pics and documents and few are over 200Kb.
I use Irfanview and watch my pixel size and keep the jpg quality at 70% (I don't see much difference at an even lower %).

You and I agree KurtS...    the problem is that some people take 'high resolution' photos from their camera or phone, and try to upload them... Sometimes those images direct from cameras or phones will be 2 MEGAbytes or more... and thus they can't be uploaded at that size.  I use the process I described (CROP, JPG, and 'Light Image Resizer') to reduce my 2MB images down to less than 200KB filesize.   Many times the resulting filesize is less than 100Kb, so yes I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I was trying to give a simple process for people who aren't used to working with images and their corresponding file sizes.. :)

I haven't used irfanview in many years but I think it provides similar capabilities to light image resizer (but I've been very impressed with the compression which LIR provides).. :)

anything