Author Topic: Chambered exhaust  (Read 27699 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Chambered exhaust
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 09:29:06 PM »
MY chambered system was near $2000 by the time it was shipped.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
Gardner's is not stainless. Eric Gardner quoted me $1100 and some change (including hangers) for mine, but since mine didn't originally come with chambered, I'm going with either his deep-tone or Pypes from Summit (same style transverse muffler).
I spoke with a fellow Z owner at James Dean Weekend this past fall and he recommended I stay away from Allens exhaust (who I was leaning heavily towards because they're within driving distance). I have no experience with Allens personally, so I am just repeating what I was told...FWIW

Dale,  HOW LONG ago did he quote you a price of $$1100???   that's a big difference from the $1695 he quoted me 2 days ago...
Well, about the same time you and I started conversing here. I was ready to jump on the chambered system until he told me my wife wouldn't like it. "You two won't be able to have a conversation in the car with a chambered system" he said. My quote was on the deep-tone, with pipes only long enough up front to reach the header collectors (remember me mentioning that maybe I'd have pipe left over for you, since you run your original manifolds?) plus mufiler, hangers, and polished (or chrome) tips. I'll double-check tomorrow when I have access my work email. My window sticker was my means to know my car wasn't chambered, according to Eric.
Keep in mind that a chambered system has two pipes running transversely where a single (dual-inlet/dual-outlet) muffler resides ordinarily. I don't know specifically what this does to the hanger arrangement, but there are surely differences.
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 04:05:16 AM »
Dale,  your quote of $1100 was for the deep tone system??    OK...  that makes sense..  I misunderstood and thought you were saying he quoted you $1100 for the chambered...   It's easy to jump to comclusions about the posts if they aren't explicit, esp if we've changed the subject.. :)

Chambered pipes and mufflers are more involved/expensive to manufacture than standard pipes...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
And my memory was off. Imagine that! My quote was $1234, but included concours show package and everything, super-duper clamps, etc.

I'm rethinking my decision to go with Pypes now, after hearing (I wish I could hear!!) how the stainless "doesn't" sound... I'm really torn. Nothing sounded as good as the old cherry bomb glass packs, but I'm not a teenager anymore. I may still drive like one, but I'm NOT one....

~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
Dale I think a lot of us are the same way.  I'm not a cackle raspy glasspack kind of person anymore either.  Yes in my opinion the chamber system is loud and has that cackle sound.

Pypes has become my favorite system over the last few years.  Mild sound, all stainless, fits nice, do it once and be done with it kind of system.  I run them on a few cars here, even my wife likes the system.  Step on the pedal and they still make aggressive sounds, but idle and cruise are very tame with no drone.  Plus you can't beat a complete stainless system with an X-pipe for ~$500 give or take while other manufactures charge $700 and up.

What I'd like to do on my next one is find a place that sells correct 69 Camaro tailpipes and incorporate those into the system.  I can't seem to find anyone that just sells correct tailpipes by themselves though.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
I would love to hear the difference between the Flowmaster American Thunder system vs. the Pypes in stainless steel. I have liked the idea of the transverse-mounted muffler, it's just the sound that concerns me!

~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
I would love to hear the difference between the Flowmaster American Thunder system vs. the Pypes in stainless steel. I have liked the idea of the transverse-mounted muffler, it's just the sound that concerns me!

I have both flowmaster kits and pypes, and may even have all of them on video if I dig for it.   Flowmaster used to make 2 transverse systems.  One called the Force II and one called the American Thunder.  Both are aluminized systems and both use an H-pipe.  I have both versions, one on a nova and one on a firebird.   The American Thunder is much much louder, I'm not a fan of it, lots of drone inside the car, I like the Force II better, mild tone and no drone.  However for some reason Flowmaster stopped making the Force II several years ago and now only make the American Thunder.  I thought that was a mistake.  This is what steered me away from flowmaster when talking about transverse systems on X and F bodies  and forced me to look elsewhere.
  That's when Pypes stepped into the picture.  Their transverse system uses an X-pipe and the whole thing is stainless steel.  The kicker is that it's priced nearly the same as flowmaster....and Pypes is stainless.  It was a no brainer to try it and I have to say I like the sound better than both flowmaster systems, the fitment was better as well.  I ended up pulling the flowmaster setups and going with Pypes on everything, never looked back.   Flowmaster kits are collecting dust on the mezzanine.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
asm69, I have the gambler competition chambered system on my built 350 69 camaro for over 30 years and 30 plus thousand miles.Over time they started to sound more like a glass pack system. When they cool down they make a pinging sound, like someone taping a small hammer on them. The sound has changed over the years but I have no regrets buying them.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Thanks "vince z28".  Due to my vehicle build date (oct 68) I can install chambered or deep tone (recall) and be factory/original correct. At this time I'm leaning towards the deep tone system. The deep tone system will sound great but yet give me that extra noise reduction and driving joy. My car survived the street battles of the day. I want to drive it for pleasure and fun and I think that the deep tone may be the way to go. I will let the person who buys my car that may want to make it a trailer queen purchase the Chambered exhaust. Anyhow, I still have time to decide.

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
My early Oct.68 built 69Z has chambered exh,  its an old chambered exh. , probably not the original system, but old, I like it , will not go to a muffler ,   
69 Z28 Burgandy

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »
miket1, you wouldn't consider the deep tone exhaust system? So, both are cars can be fitted with chambered and/or deep tone system and be considered correct. I'm still going to try to listen to a chambered system at a local car show, if I can find one. I just don't want the system to be too loud that it makes a drive the California coast uncomfortable.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
ASM? Don't you want others to easily hear you coming?? (and going?).. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Ha Ha, I'll have to think about that. There is some value to be heard by others.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Ha Ha, I'll have to think about that. There is some value to be heard by others.
From my Harley-riding days: "loud pipes save lives!"

~Ben Franklin

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:41 AM »
I like the sound of deep tone exh.  , I have owned  several  cars with it over the years,
My z was originally build with chambered exh. so I don't want to change that.
69 Z28 Burgandy

anything