Author Topic: Chambered exhaust  (Read 27700 times)

asm69

• View Profile
Chambered exhaust
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »
Looking for comments from anyone that has chambered exhaust system on their 1969 Z28. I am getting ready to order chambered exhaust from Gardner for my early (Oct 1968) LOS produced
69Z. It came from the factory with chambered, so I thought, I would get chambered exhaust again.

I have heard that the Chambered is noisy and tinny sounding. I will be using the cast iron exhaust manifolds. The car is not a show car but will be driven for pleasure and fun.

So, my questions are,

If you have installed Chambered exhaust on your 69Z are you happy with it ?

Would you install a different exhaust system after having experienced the chambered exhaust system performance and noise ?

Thank you
asm69

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Chambered exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »
ASM....  you probably got that 'tinny' term from my description of Gardner's exhaust, but I wasn't referring to the 'chambered sound' (I love the factory chambered sound even though it's a horsepower robber).  I was referring to ANY Stainless Steel exhaust as sounding 'tinny'.  that is due to the fact that the metal used in stainless steel exhausts are thinner, less mass, and vibrate/resonate at higher frequencies than does heavier gauge steel (such as is used in aluminized exhaust components).   If you feel the need to install chambered (because your car came that way, or if you just 'love the sound'), there are chambered system manufacturers that make their parts using heavier gauge metal (ie.  Allen's Exhaust and others)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
It appears that most people like Gardners' chambered exhaust due to the ease of fit and correct reproduction. I was leaning towards Gardners' chambered exhaust system due to positive comments from others in the group.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
I wood listen to a set before installing on a driver. They remind me of what we called Smittys in the 60,s. But if you car is correct or original ?????
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
All I have listened to is sound bytes on the internet. I agree it would be better if I could listen to set in
real time.

FathomRSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
I've got chambered on my Z (Nov. 68 - LOS) and I had it on a previous 69 big block. The sounds are different, I prefer the big block sound over the small block. The Z seems to cackle more...I know different manufactures do sound different. Don't get me wrong it does sound great. My wife hasn't liked either one! If you are going for driving for pleasure and fun I would go for deep tone system...your neighbors won't know when you start the car up every time! ;D

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
I'm leaning towards the chambered because my car it came with it. Just listened to several sound bytes on internet. Chambered system is a little loud, but sounds great.

FathomRSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
I'm the same way...the car came that way. As far as inside noise, it's not too bad, you have to talk a little louder. It's not as bad as sidepipes on a mid-year Vette.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »
I listened to deep tone mufflers on internet. They sound good and are a little more quiet. The Chambered system is unique in appearance and may bring more value to vehicle.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »
Putting my car back together after a project that went far too long. Remember sound of a solid lifter big block thru the chambered. And especially the echoes going on roads with overpasses. It is not supposed to be quiet. That is why it was canceled

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 06:58:59 PM »
Pacecar, are you saying you decided not to install Chambered exhaust because of the noise ?

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
No - I love the sound.  Run a car with headers thru open exhaust. That is loud but music to some

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
My Z has a factory chambered system, Hooker headers. I love the sound.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
if all you are going to do is *look* at your car, then a stainless steel system will appear 'new' longer, but if you are going to drive the car, and want it to *sound* original, then a stainless steel system does NOT do that IMO...   Am I the only one who has that opinion??

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »
Is the gardner chambered exhaust a stainless steel system ?

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 05:18:11 PM »
Thanks red69. Nice to hear that you like it.

Do you drive your Z regularly ?
At times do you feel it may loud when  talking to some one sitting next to you ?

My car being an early built LOS Z came with chambered exhaust. What I don't know is if the original owner had the exhaust replaced with the deep tone system due to the recall letter.

So, I can re-install chambered exhaust or the deep tone system and maintain the originality of the car. I just need to decide if the louder chambered exhaust system will hinder my driving pleasure. After hearing sound clips of the chambered and deep tone system, they both sound great. I'm going to try to find a local car event to listen to a chambered exhaust system, that might help my decision.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
Is the gardner chambered exhaust a stainless steel system ?

My PRIOR understanding was that Gardner ONLY did stainless.... but that was based on 'hearsay' from long ago.  So in responding your question above, I thought I should confirm that, so I went to the Gardner website, didn't find mention of stainless or any metal type mentioned, so I called and spoke to Eric Gardner and had a good conversation with him.

http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/contact.html

Eric tells me they ONLY do aluminized pipes (so I was wrong before - yes, it's happened again!!). but I will admit it when I find out.. :)     Eric also doesn't like stainless exhausts for a couple of reasons, so he and I are in agreement on that.   While I had him on the phone I asked him the price:   Complete from exhaust manifolds back, with reproduction/original hangars correct for the chambered system, but using GM clamps ($1695).  He told me something I didn't know; the original chambered systems utilized 'rounded bottom' clamps, which are costly for him to reproduce, so to get those (ADD $100).

I apologize for the incorrect information I told you before, and I've adjusted my opinion on the Gardner chambered exhaust system!  If you want chambered, I'd suggest you go for it.. :)

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »
Not to steal the basis of this thread but you bring up an interesting point Gary.

The system on my car that I believe to be original (the piping anyway) has a pair of rounded bottom clamps on it right where the 2 pipe hangers come down under the back seat.

Are these rounded clamps exclusive to chambered exhaust only???  What other clues might elude to a car having chambered originally?   Maybe my Z had it and it was changed to the transverse system very early on??   Now you have peaked my curiosity...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »
My 69 L78 has a single muffler over the axle like stock. Although I have not seen it on it ,the previuos owner said it was a Flow Master. Sounds great with Hookers.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Not to steal the basis of this thread but you bring up an interesting point Gary.

The system on my car that I believe to be original (the piping anyway) has a pair of rounded bottom clamps on it right where the 2 pipe hangers come down under the back seat.

Are these rounded clamps exclusive to chambered exhaust only???  What other clues might elude to a car having chambered originally?   Maybe my Z had it and it was changed to the transverse system very early on??   Now you have peaked my curiosity...

Very possibly your hypothesis is correct; If I understood correctly what Eric told me, the chambered system rear hangar is also different as well as the clamps used in those locations, and is placed further to the rear than the normal deep tone exhaust hangar.   This was required to securely hold the chambered system tailpipes in place.   Where is your rear hangar located? 

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »

Very possibly your hypothesis is correct; If I understood correctly what Eric told me, the chambered system rear hangar is also different as well as the clamps used in those locations, and is placed further to the rear than the normal deep tone exhaust hangar.   This was required to securely hold the chambered system tailpipes in place.   Where is your rear hangar located? 

Well Gary, I'm not sure on the hanger one way or the other because I've never seen the differences with my own eyes.  I guess the best way to determine it is to send you or someone familiar with it a picture of the hanger and clamp setup on mine.  Maybe take pictures of any other clues that may be needed??
  Probably best to start another thread on it rather than mess up this one.  Thoughts?
I honestly never gave this any thought before, I knew they were original clamps on the car but didn't know the clamps were specific to chamber.  I'm almost kind of glad I caught your statement about the clamps or I would have overlooked it on the car.  I say almost, because if this goes down that path, I'll be spending another $2,000 on exhaust, lol.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Yes, I think a good detailed discussion of 'what is right/correct/factory' on exhaust systems would be a great thread.  Generally we treat such items as an 'aside' attached temporarily to other threads.  I'd suggest starting with a discussion with Eric Gardner; he seems to know quite a bit (certainly more than I), and is willing to discuss such things in detail.   Send him some photos of yours (and post them here too in an 'exhaust correctness' thread), and let's have at it.. :)   My car is too late for a chambered system, and when I found that out, I sold the NOS one I'd had for 35 yrs a couple of years ago, but in so doing I also obtained a pair of the resonators (which my car would have come with) which are essentially unobtainable.. :)   I think a thread which summarizes what we already know about the variations in exhaust system (between deep tone and chambered), and also about 'periods in the year', would be a great start, and we can go from there to address the details (like these clamps) which I haven't been aware of until today...

PS.  I think it would belong in the *originality* section, rather than the general discussion area, but maybe I'm wrong and Kurt or Byron will address that issue?  :)

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »
Tell ya what.  I just took some pictures of it.  It will take me a bit to fool with photobucket (man I hate that)  But I'll post it in the originality section and if Kurt feels it needs to be somewhere else, maybe he'll be kind enough to move it  ;D  Give me 30 minutes.

Bryan302

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:01 PM »
Larry, Did any of your existing pipes have the crimps in the pipes as were typical to chambered?  Is your car's build date 05A or before, and before the cut off date of May 19th?  The other possibility, to determine yes or no, would be finding the firewall chalk writing by fisher body, indicating N10 for deep tone mufflers!

Gary, WOW!, Did Eric indicate any specifics on dimensions of the mounting hole locations for the hangars that are above the axle?  I thought they were in the same spot for either N10 or NC8.  If they are different, looks to me like that would pin point which system you had, if you didn't know!  Those hangar locations, and the firewall writing may be the only clues some people will have!

THANKS,
Bryan
Bryan S.
1968 RS Z/28, 12E, PNT R2, TR 749
1969 Z/28 X33, 05A, PNT 52 52, TR 719, endura bumper

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »
Larry, Did any of your existing pipes have the crimps in the pipes as were typical to chambered?  Is your car's build date 05A or before, and before the cut off date of May 19th?  The other possibility, to determine yes or no, would be finding the firewall chalk writing by fisher body, indicating N10 for deep tone mufflers!

Gary, WOW!, Did Eric indicate any specifics on dimensions of the mounting hole locations for the hangars that are above the axle?  I thought they were in the same spot for either N10 or NC8.  If they are different, looks to me like that would pin point which system you had, if you didn't know!  Those hangar locations, and the firewall writing may be the only clues some people will have!

THANKS,
Bryan

Bryan, my car is 12D.  I've cleaned the firewall delicately and nothing there but the PBT stamps. 

If by "crimps" you mean the crush bends with wrinkles, then yes the entire system is full of them everywhere there is a bend, as well as flat pipe through the mid section of the head pipes, and flat sections on the tailpipes as they snake around the frame and leaf springs. 

Yes Bryan, that was my thought when Gary mentioned that, if those hangers above the axle were in different locations or not (which makes more sense to me), which is why I posted pictures in a new thread about this very topic (in the Original section)

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 01:06:25 AM »
I have seen 2 different hangers on the drivers side frame rail. I was lead to believe the chambered hanger is longer and that way holds the pipe farther back.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 05:26:52 PM »
Original 10D Norwood 531xxx  Chambered Hangers   VS Gardner reproduction Hangers

The Drivers side hanger, I am not sure that the same hanger was used throughout production. Additional research on original later chambered cars would need to be undertaken.

Passenger side hanger...

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
Gardner's is not stainless. Eric Gardner quoted me $1100 and some change (including hangers) for mine, but since mine didn't originally come with chambered, I'm going with either his deep-tone or Pypes from Summit (same style transverse muffler).
I spoke with a fellow Z owner at James Dean Weekend this past fall and he recommended I stay away from Allens exhaust (who I was leaning heavily towards because they're within driving distance). I have no experience with Allens personally, so I am just repeating what I was told...FWIW
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
I'm getting the impression from other threads and Camaro web sites, that many people would choose the Chambered exhaust system as long as their car fit the assembly time line in respects to when GM began to change the exhaust systems due to noise concerns.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »
Gardner's is not stainless. Eric Gardner quoted me $1100 and some change (including hangers) for mine, but since mine didn't originally come with chambered, I'm going with either his deep-tone or Pypes from Summit (same style transverse muffler).
I spoke with a fellow Z owner at James Dean Weekend this past fall and he recommended I stay away from Allens exhaust (who I was leaning heavily towards because they're within driving distance). I have no experience with Allens personally, so I am just repeating what I was told...FWIW

Dale,  HOW LONG ago did he quote you a price of $$1100???   that's a big difference from the $1695 he quoted me 2 days ago...

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 09:29:06 PM »
MY chambered system was near $2000 by the time it was shipped.
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »

Dale,  HOW LONG ago did he quote you a price of $$1100???   that's a big difference from the $1695 he quoted me 2 days ago...
Well, about the same time you and I started conversing here. I was ready to jump on the chambered system until he told me my wife wouldn't like it. "You two won't be able to have a conversation in the car with a chambered system" he said. My quote was on the deep-tone, with pipes only long enough up front to reach the header collectors (remember me mentioning that maybe I'd have pipe left over for you, since you run your original manifolds?) plus mufiler, hangers, and polished (or chrome) tips. I'll double-check tomorrow when I have access my work email. My window sticker was my means to know my car wasn't chambered, according to Eric.
Keep in mind that a chambered system has two pipes running transversely where a single (dual-inlet/dual-outlet) muffler resides ordinarily. I don't know specifically what this does to the hanger arrangement, but there are surely differences.

~Ben Franklin

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 04:05:16 AM »
Dale,  your quote of $1100 was for the deep tone system??    OK...  that makes sense..  I misunderstood and thought you were saying he quoted you $1100 for the chambered...   It's easy to jump to comclusions about the posts if they aren't explicit, esp if we've changed the subject.. :)

Chambered pipes and mufflers are more involved/expensive to manufacture than standard pipes...

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
And my memory was off. Imagine that! My quote was $1234, but included concours show package and everything, super-duper clamps, etc.

I'm rethinking my decision to go with Pypes now, after hearing (I wish I could hear!!) how the stainless "doesn't" sound... I'm really torn. Nothing sounded as good as the old cherry bomb glass packs, but I'm not a teenager anymore. I may still drive like one, but I'm NOT one....

~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
Dale I think a lot of us are the same way.  I'm not a cackle raspy glasspack kind of person anymore either.  Yes in my opinion the chamber system is loud and has that cackle sound.

Pypes has become my favorite system over the last few years.  Mild sound, all stainless, fits nice, do it once and be done with it kind of system.  I run them on a few cars here, even my wife likes the system.  Step on the pedal and they still make aggressive sounds, but idle and cruise are very tame with no drone.  Plus you can't beat a complete stainless system with an X-pipe for ~$500 give or take while other manufactures charge $700 and up.

What I'd like to do on my next one is find a place that sells correct 69 Camaro tailpipes and incorporate those into the system.  I can't seem to find anyone that just sells correct tailpipes by themselves though.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
I would love to hear the difference between the Flowmaster American Thunder system vs. the Pypes in stainless steel. I have liked the idea of the transverse-mounted muffler, it's just the sound that concerns me!

~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
I would love to hear the difference between the Flowmaster American Thunder system vs. the Pypes in stainless steel. I have liked the idea of the transverse-mounted muffler, it's just the sound that concerns me!

I have both flowmaster kits and pypes, and may even have all of them on video if I dig for it.   Flowmaster used to make 2 transverse systems.  One called the Force II and one called the American Thunder.  Both are aluminized systems and both use an H-pipe.  I have both versions, one on a nova and one on a firebird.   The American Thunder is much much louder, I'm not a fan of it, lots of drone inside the car, I like the Force II better, mild tone and no drone.  However for some reason Flowmaster stopped making the Force II several years ago and now only make the American Thunder.  I thought that was a mistake.  This is what steered me away from flowmaster when talking about transverse systems on X and F bodies  and forced me to look elsewhere.
  That's when Pypes stepped into the picture.  Their transverse system uses an X-pipe and the whole thing is stainless steel.  The kicker is that it's priced nearly the same as flowmaster....and Pypes is stainless.  It was a no brainer to try it and I have to say I like the sound better than both flowmaster systems, the fitment was better as well.  I ended up pulling the flowmaster setups and going with Pypes on everything, never looked back.   Flowmaster kits are collecting dust on the mezzanine.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
asm69, I have the gambler competition chambered system on my built 350 69 camaro for over 30 years and 30 plus thousand miles.Over time they started to sound more like a glass pack system. When they cool down they make a pinging sound, like someone taping a small hammer on them. The sound has changed over the years but I have no regrets buying them.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Thanks "vince z28".  Due to my vehicle build date (oct 68) I can install chambered or deep tone (recall) and be factory/original correct. At this time I'm leaning towards the deep tone system. The deep tone system will sound great but yet give me that extra noise reduction and driving joy. My car survived the street battles of the day. I want to drive it for pleasure and fun and I think that the deep tone may be the way to go. I will let the person who buys my car that may want to make it a trailer queen purchase the Chambered exhaust. Anyhow, I still have time to decide.

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
My early Oct.68 built 69Z has chambered exh,  its an old chambered exh. , probably not the original system, but old, I like it , will not go to a muffler ,   
69 Z28 Burgandy

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »
miket1, you wouldn't consider the deep tone exhaust system? So, both are cars can be fitted with chambered and/or deep tone system and be considered correct. I'm still going to try to listen to a chambered system at a local car show, if I can find one. I just don't want the system to be too loud that it makes a drive the California coast uncomfortable.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
ASM? Don't you want others to easily hear you coming?? (and going?).. :)

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Ha Ha, I'll have to think about that. There is some value to be heard by others.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Ha Ha, I'll have to think about that. There is some value to be heard by others.
From my Harley-riding days: "loud pipes save lives!"

~Ben Franklin

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:41 AM »
I like the sound of deep tone exh.  , I have owned  several  cars with it over the years,
My z was originally build with chambered exh. so I don't want to change that.
69 Z28 Burgandy

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
Stock 302 std bore new rings with factory replacement camshaft.
Fast idle cold start.
IN FRONT OF CAR...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu8kbyEZx0o

HERE is a video driving from a culdesac to my house with the camera on the back of the car.
I think I forgot about the camera for a min... forgive the end of the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k2DsxT34WQ
James

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
I'm not a fan of the chambered on Z28. It's sounds like glass pack with a high pitch pop. I like it on big blocks, as it's much more pleasant to my ear. Flowmaster American thunder with 40 series droning is unbearable. I even put 50 series and still too much drone. I installed a set of cheapie Hush Thrust Turbo mufflers and good to go.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »
I think chambered exhaust looks great and exotic. Its cool that GM installed that type of system from the factory, but wow, that is a loud exhaust system. I'm still going to look at local car shows to try to hear one in person.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
firstgenaddict, I listened to several clips last night of chambered exhaust and non-chambered exhaust. There is something that can be said about the way that chambered exhaust sounds. I realize that it is louder than deep tone, but, the sound is powerful, gut wrenching and compliments what the Z28 is known for, speed and power.

262jp

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
Only ones I have heard sound like glass packs when you let off the gas. Maybe if I were 17 again but not at 70.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2016, 06:02:10 PM »
It sounds wicked whether through manifolds or headers, I agree with Steve the Big Block esp the L78 sounds exceptionally well with the chambers, however I like the sound from the high revving small blocks as well...

Reproduction chambers from Ricks, 302 +.020 , Hooker super comps and Crower solid roller 636 lift. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BZbpTA_wI

James

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
Chamber sounds good when the engine is at full song and high rpm, but around town I got tired of it pretty quick riding in a friends car.  It sounds like old school glass packs to me.  On a fun car seldom driven I could live with it.  Driving it frequently would have me making another choice.  My wife certainly wouldn't stand for it at all, even occasionally, lol. 

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »
firstgenaddict, on your recent youtube link. The sound of that chambered exhaust sound like that "Z" is ready for business. Mean and loud.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »
Dave Crower custom 636 lift solid roller  12.5 pistons zero gap rings, eagle rods... .020 302 = 305CUI
IT had so much low end, 350 ft lbs torque by 3200 rpms, made great vacuum -12-15in at idle, used the HIPPO lifters Hi Pres Pin Oiled.
James

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »
I have decided to move forward and install the chambered exhaust system on my early produced Z (Oct 68).

After reviewing many "youtube" videos of Z28's with the chambered exhaust system and speaking with Eric gardner from gardner exhaust, I feel its the correct decision.

I now can distinguish the chambered sound from a deep tone sound. Yes, its louder and more crackley, but, its what my Z came with.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »
I have decided to move forward and install the chambered exhaust system on my early produced Z (Oct 68).

After reviewing many "youtube" videos of Z28's with the chambered exhaust system and speaking with Eric gardner from gardner exhaust, I feel its the correct decision.

I now can distinguish the chambered sound from a deep tone sound. Yes, its louder and more crackley, but, its what my Z came with.

Good for you! I would have done the same IF my car had originally come with chambered, because I would then have that "excuse" to annoy my wife and neighbors. When I get the urge to do so, I'll just uncork my headers and prepare to sleep in the doghouse.
I'd like to hear your systems when it's done, if possible!

~Ben Franklin

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
dale_z28, Thanks for your comments. I will post something when its complete.

nodz80

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
my car came with chambered exhaust.i remember when new it had more of a popping sound but I think it was due to the smog equipment that was on it. i removed the smog pump and the tubes that went into the exhaust manifolds and i think it removed the popping sound.I liked the sound then and still do now. I replaced the old system with a new stainless system sometime in the early 80's, its still on it and i really like the way it sounds, but thats my opinion.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
nodz80, thanks for your comments. Yea, I'm feeling more and more that the chambered exhaust sound and unique appearance, says 1960's  muscle car.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
The chambered system will pop back because there is no equalization through a cross flow muffler, it is a true independent DUAL Exhaust.
James

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 12:30:31 AM »
Heard my first 69Z with chambered exhaust today at the "Cars and Coffee" meetup at the BlackHawk museum in Danville Ca. The exhaust sounded great. It had a
crisp clear sound. With that experience behind me, I am still on track to purchase and install the chambered exhaust system on my 69Z.

cruizin69

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »
I have chambered exhaust on my Z/28 and I love it.
I don't know what make it is because I put it on about 15 years ago.
My car is a driver it didn't come with chambered but I love the sound.

watk69

• 1969 Z/28 5A Dusk Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »
What is the latest possible known date that could be ordered as an option?? I have a May 2nd week car that was restored with a Gardner deep tone - no resonators and chrome tips in 2003. We now know that is not correct. Rather than scab a set of resonators and new non chrome tips  costing 800 or so rather go chambered if it is conceivable they could have been special ordered during that time

Clif
Clif W.

anything