Author Topic: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?  (Read 23409 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »
Is it possible to purchase the cloth sleeve separately?  Or at least a close facsimile?

Yea, single wire cover is available, in black though. Was doing some searches last night. Vendor doesn't come to mind, but an easy on line find....maybe even Amazon.

http://www.hotrodwires.com/product/fabric-loom.html
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 01:39:29 AM »
only in harness cloth (white) covered wire was my coil (drk brown wire. ( from the bulk head) Mines a 68 non-gauge car.

Feed off the starter solenoid is yellow. By the starter solenoid terminals, don't remember. I lengthened the wires years ago to aid in dropping/changing the starter.

Are you sure that the cloth was white originally?  (I have a 'image' in my mind of black cloth covering.. but can't recall what/where I seen it).  I suspect a black cloth would fade to lighter or white over these 46 yrs......  Anyone got any original photos that shows that cloth covering clearly?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »
Once I opened the harness it was clearly white. still curious of the loop where there is an "open" in the insulation, bare wire protected by what looks like a thicker mil shrink tube loosely covering it. Cuts in the insulation are also clean. Appears manufactured. I agree some sort of hydrocarbon based coating may have simply broken down over the years.

I like the looks of that product, I'm going to order some. I  really enjoy doing wiring harnesses, why I'm taking the time to play with this one. That and it really is in good shape. Just a few very old splices needed freshening with correct wire colors. New pig tails.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 03:41:48 AM »
only in harness cloth (white) covered wire was my coil (drk brown wire. ( from the bulk head) Mines a 68 non-gauge car.

Feed off the starter solenoid is yellow. By the starter solenoid terminals, don't remember. I lengthened the wires years ago to aid in dropping/changing the starter.

Are you sure that the cloth was white originally?  (I have a 'image' in my mind of black cloth covering.. but can't recall what/where I seen it).  I suspect a black cloth would fade to lighter or white over these 46 yrs......  Anyone got any original photos that shows that cloth covering clearly?

Yes, look at the picture I posted earlier in this discussion.  If you look just above my hand where I'm holding the 2 coil wires that are in cloth, you can also see a couple of wires in the harness heading up to the gutter.  I unwrapped some of the original black tape looking for the brown "R" terminal wire.  That's original white cloth that has been protected by the tape.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 03:44:46 AM »

That sounds consistent with what James said about non gauge cars only having one coil wire in cloth.  You can clearly see both of mine are cloth in the photo, and is a factory gauge car.

Yes the wires on mine down by the starter also has white cloth wrapping, however it's deteriorated a bit, but it's there.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 03:51:52 AM »
Janobyte, 
  I had another response from Lectric Limited and it wasn't promising.  From the sound of his response it's as if he doesn't understand what I'm after.  I was very clear I wanted a new harness with both coil wires wrapped in cloth.  He's responded twice with "sorry we cannot help, we do not stock braided wire to the starter, and the braided wire to the coil is a special resistance wire"
  Hmmm, I think he's confused, so I responded back that I'm after cloth covering, not braided wire, and would like to purchase a harness if they can provide both coil wires with cloth covering.  We'll see..

I have not heard back from American Autowire but with the time change across country I would suspect maybe I'll hear tomorrow...

So at this point, since this is more trouble than I ever imagined, I may just forget about buying a harness, fix what I have and run with it......unless I hear better news tomorrow. 

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
I think more of a "fabric loom"   From the sounds I'd at least replace the lighting harness, carries the charging system circuit. And..16 bucks gets you 10' of new loom...that's more then enough to cover any pig tails down by the starter. Your getting all new material from Lectric/American Wire, you can tweak it as you want.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
Now my mail for Lectric Limited is undeliverable   ???   Odd coincidence.

Yeah Jano, I think the other harness (lights) that has the charging system I should probably replace.  That's where my real issues are with that junction block and clip attachments anyway and there is nothing on that part of the harness that would be unusual.  Looks like I'll be going with American Autowire.

Where did you find 10 feet of the fabric loom?  I tried your link and got a bunch of advertisements and couldn't look around.  What did I do wrong?

Well shucks, I tried it this morning and now it works.  I see black fabric loom?  Do they make white?

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
aaw has the cloth covered coil wires. I sent mine back and it and the starter wire were corrected. I called customer service and they set it up for me. it would be better and cheaper to get it done first rather than getting it changed. also it would be nice if they figured out what they have is incorrect for gauge cars. I tried but not sure they cared 
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
aaw has the cloth covered coil wires. I sent mine back and it and the starter wire were corrected. I called customer service and they set it up for me. it would be better and cheaper to get it done first rather than getting it changed. also it would be nice if they figured out what they have is incorrect for gauge cars. I tried but not sure they cared 

That's the feeling I got from Lectric Limited, I don't think they really cared and it seems they don't want to go through the effort to satisfy a customer.

Yes, I want it done right the first time and not have to send it back, hence the reason I've been trying to contact them and send a picture in with what I'm looking to do.  It should be pretty simple for them to slip on a couple extra pieces of cloth before they crimp those terminals on.  It's not much to ask.
   I'm still waiting to hear from AAW but if I don't hear something today I'll call and see if I can simply explain and order what I want and get it right on the first shot.  If you went through this Bill, and now me, I'm sure others have as well.  We can't possibly be the only ones.  I would think that would start to set off a bell with AAW and maybe realize there is a need for a correction for the gauge car engine harness.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 04:07:42 PM »
Could someone look at that picture I posted (post 21) and confirm that brown wire that is in the photo next to the pair of cloth covered coil wires?  It is actually running under my hand.

I think that brown wire is for the tach and should have been connected to the neg coil.   There is no terminal end on it, (broken off) and I found it in the harness as I unwrapped it.

I'm hoping tach wire is brown??  I think that's what I'm looking at.
Thanks.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm pretty certain the tach wire is brown, X33..  although it's been awhile since I've 'touched' mine.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »
Okay thanks Gary, I'm thinking that's what I'm looking at.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »
This is for those that care,

Lectric Limited got back with me today to explain that when he mentioned braided wire he was talking about the resistance wire.  They have no cloth what so ever that slides over a wire.  The only wire they have that resembles that is the resistance wire which has an appearance of cloth but it's actually braded onto the wire and is not removable, that's the way it comes from their supplier of that particular resistance wire.   So in short, they don't have the ability to add cloth coverings to any of the wiring. 

Looking like American Auto Wire, If I can just get a hold of them and make sure they'll put the cloth on the wires I need, then I'll be golden.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 10:53:52 PM »
Another update,
 Got a hold of American Autowire today.  Marc asked me to send some pictures of my harness to his email address so he could compare to what they have on the shelf.  So far so good, sounds as though they are willing to work with me and get this done.

anything