Author Topic: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?  (Read 23403 times)

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
Re: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »
I used American auto wire and had clips wrong and the wires that should have a cloth cover and didn't. This was on the wiper, coil starter wires. From what I can figure out, what they are sending out is for a non gauge car.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
Bill,
Are you saying a non gauge car wouldn't have the cloth covering on the coil and starter wires?

Also, how long has it been since you bought from American Autowire?  I'm getting quite a few recommendations from others and you're the first that mentioned the lack of cloth covering.  Is that still the case with American Autowire?

How about Lectric Limited?  Cloth covering??

what is Heartbeat selling and how does that compare?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:06:28 PM by X33RS »

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
I got mine last summer. In the thread where I mentioned it, I think James had ran across the same thing. I think he was the first one to put it together there was a difference. I sent mine back and they fixed it. I will see if I can add the link to here.
1968 RS 327 4 speed

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
1968 RS 327 4 speed

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
Boy I'm more confused now.  I'm second guessing American Autowire now after reading that, lol.

The wrong color plastic ends don't bother me as those are easy to swap from the original harness.  The cloth covered wires do bother me, that seems a little more important.

How about Lectric Limited and Heartbeat, or even Ricks?   Are they getting their stuff from these same vendors?

I don't want to deal with sending stuff back and forth to be corrected.  Someone out there has to sell a good reproduction harness???

Otherwise I'll get out the solder gun and fix what I have.  Hate to spend time that I don't have doing that.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »
 I was under the impression Lectric Limited made their own harness and is not a reseller.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
Here you go Bill,
Both of my coil wires have the cloth covering. Although worse for wear, it's there.   Interesting side note, I had always thought this wasn't a gauge car even though console gauges are present.  I had been talking with William and determined it is a factory gauge car (you can see the oil line grommet in the picture)  In your link James makes mention of gauge cars having both coil wires covered with cloth.  Sure enough, mine does as well.
  Now you have me thinking I need a harness with both of these wires covered in cloth.  Where do I find the correct harness??

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »
I was under the impression Lectric Limited made their own harness and is not a reseller.

Mike

How correct are they??   See my post above addressing what Bill brought to my attention.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
I've contacted both Lectric Limited and American Autowire addressing the cloth covering concerns.  Waiting to hear back.

I was able to look at a picture from American Auto wire, and it appears there is no cloth on either of the coil wires in the photo they provide, and I didn't see any on the starter wires either.  I was unable to link them a picture of mine, their question box wouldn't allow it.

Lectric Limited doesn't have a picture but their contact info was through email so I was able to send them a picture of mine showing the cloth on both coil wires. 

I'll let everyone know if I get a response and/or if one of them are willing and offers to add the cloth.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 06:22:36 PM »
Is it possible to purchase the cloth sleeve separately?  Or at least a close facsimile?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »
Well, I know you can buy the correct wrapping tape, and various clips separately.  I've never checked on the cloth covering though.  I don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Unfortunately you would have to snip the terminals off to slip the cloth on, and then have terminals ready to crimp back on.

If they can add the cloth, then I would assume a roll of it is buyable somewhere.  We'll see what they say or have to offer if they get back with me.  Hopefully for a small fee they'll offer the cloth and make it right.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
Is it possible to purchase the cloth sleeve separately?  Or at least a close facsimile?

Yea, single wire cover is available, in black though. Was doing some searches last night. Vendor doesn't come to mind, but an easy on line find....maybe even Amazon.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
So far only Lectric Limited got back with me.  I sent him a picture of my original harness so he's aware.  He stated only one coil wire is covered in cloth, and there is nothing on the starter wires.  That's the only response I got.

Soooo, I replied and asked if they could cover the wires in cloth as they are pictured on my original harness or if they simply offer a roll of it so I can do it myself.
We'll see what comes back.  So far not appearing too promising.

I haven't heard from American Autowire yet.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
I can't believe I'm the first to deal with this?   With all the high end restorations floating around and this place being the best source for Camaro info, someone here has gone through the same thing I'm sure.....right?

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
only in harness cloth (white) covered wire was my coil (drk brown wire. ( from the bulk head) Mines a 68 non-gauge car.

Feed off the starter solenoid is yellow. By the starter solenoid terminals, don't remember. I lengthened the wires years ago to aid in dropping/changing the starter.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..