Author Topic: The Hugger goes ZL-1....  (Read 115204 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: The Hugger goes ZL-1....
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2018, 06:29:26 AM »
Nothing to consider, right way to do it ;) Any reputable carb builder is gonna ask for cam specs,gears,weight of car,etc... I will say I have heard nothing but good about the Holley HP line.  One of my friends was telling me they were making great numbers with one on the dyno..right out of the box. Slightly lower then the custom carb,which by the way is a great piece. AND the Holley is a couple hundred dollars less.

Another old friend, who is into big cube SBC's in Cobras, has been running the distributer you have pictured for years. Good unit, supports an 800 hp small block with around 7800 shift points with no issues. I was going to ramble on about setting your curve, when you want it "all in", but John Z's article does a much better job! none the less, this will be based on your cam specs. ALSO, Transmission Specialties out of Aston,PA builds bullet proof convertors. Accurate stall. Once again based on your car and engine specs.Get a SFI rated flex plate! If you currently just have a stock one.

Bty, I'm in the camp that loves your engine bay, great job.
Thanks for all that interesting info, I may look into that’s as well. But my intention is to keep the engine close to original so we’ll see... :P
Great to hear about he distributor also and your tip regarding the converter, that’s the next step maybe....and I do have a SFI rated flexplate from SCAT! Haven’t you read the whole thread?  ;D

...and many thanks for you loving the engine bay, that motivates me to keep up the work! ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2018, 06:31:22 AM »
The adds I have seen for PD or DUI said they will take car weight,cam and ect. and curve the dizzy before shipment. I can do it but it would nice to open the box and the paper says total advance, total in at what RPM, ect while getting a good unit at a fair price. If I had a SUN machine I would do it but leaning over a hot motor playing with springs and weights kind of gets old.
Great to hear, Kelley!
I’ll get one from PD, that’s for sure!  8)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Ok, you got me, lol! Re-read the thread and saw your flexplate.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »
Ok, you got me, lol! Re-read the thread and saw your flexplate.
Haha, good work re-reading everything! :)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Just remembered that I haven't showed you guys my first attempt to make my own ZL-1 emblem!
As you know there wasn't really an official fender emblem for the ZL-1 and COPOs but I needed something to cover the holes from the 350-emblem with....

Well with that said I downloaded Autodesk Fusion 360 to my iMac and started to sketch an 2D-emblem that they could have done it on Chevrolet design department during the late 60:ies. I then took the file to our world famous Umeå Institute of Design and their FabLab.  They helped my with taking my 2D-model to a printable 3D-modell.
Im happy with the result and my first 3D-printing experience.....old school meets new school!

With some paint:

Temporary in place with some adhesive butyl rubber:

It was ok for local exhibitions this summer but my plan is to get my 3D-model as a die cast emblem in aluminium or chromed brass but I havet found anyone subtile for that job yet..  :(
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
Neat!
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
not bad, but it appears to be 'too thick' to me.. ie.  much thicker than original '69 emblems.  I'd suggest checking the thickness of your original 350 emblem, and modifying your design to be the same...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
Hakan,

They look pretty good - did you see the Design Studio ZL-1 pics for inspiration ? They were apparently only on the grille and tail panel, car was black and gold; I saw a cloned version of the car at Indy Super Chevy many years ago that replicated the car down to the emblems. I (and many others) would really like to discover whatever happened to the original -

Good effort, I really like what you have accomplished with this build - especially considering the distance you are from sources here in the US.
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »
not bad, but it appears to be 'too thick' to me.. ie.  much thicker than original '69 emblems.  I'd suggest checking the thickness of your original 350 emblem, and modifying your design to be the same...
Thanks Gary, but off course they have the same aperence as original, same dimensions and same thickness! ;)
...but as I wrote, they are mounted with butyl rubber.
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2018, 05:49:10 AM »
Hakan,

They look pretty good - did you see the Design Studio ZL-1 pics for inspiration ? They were apparently only on the grille and tail panel, car was black and gold; I saw a cloned version of the car at Indy Super Chevy many years ago that replicated the car down to the emblems. I (and many others) would really like to discover whatever happened to the original -

Good effort, I really like what you have accomplished with this build - especially considering the distance you are from sources here in the US.
Yupp, seen that one before but I really didn’t like that emblem style and I’ve seen somebody before made something similar to “my” emblems for grille and rear though.
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
Hakan,Where is the video of you lighting up the tires? Just leave in drive, hold the brake a little til it breaks loose, my L78 will actually shift into second while doing it. Doing it lights up my day (2). Nice job on all of it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »
Hakan,Where is the video of you lighting up the tires? Just leave in drive, hold the brake a little til it breaks loose, my L78 will actually shift into second while doing it. Doing it lights up my day (2). Nice job on all of it.

Hehe Kelly I´m afraid I´m going to disappoint you cause we didn't get the time do make such a video this year so you just have to settle with these three short ones....at least you get a glimpse of what the ZL-1 sounds like and handle!  8) :P

https://youtu.be/DP_gxPTKSb0

https://youtu.be/imt2AzavMcU

https://youtu.be/MAf-MpslqVk
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Well the summer has pasted and now we´re entering the winter here in Sweden but no snow yet! 

The Hugger didn't run that many hours that I wanted too because a lot of things but the main one was the starter.  :(

It was a rebuilt one I got from a friend that got it from a friend so I didn't really know so much about it, but it worked ok when we ran the ZL-1 in the dyno.
But running in the street is a different ball game and here it did not deliver. Despite my original GM heat shield, which btw is too small,  the starter got to hot when you tried to stat if again after a quick stop. It didn't even made a click when turning the key....so I had to put the starter on the to-do-list for this winter.

I at least got the car to the biggest car event my town during this summer together with my 427-pal Nikke, as you may know from this forum. Here are our orange monsters together in my garage and at the show. We really got some attention with our rides among the 1500 other cars that attended!  ;D

But during the up coming cruise night I had to feed the beast but I didn't get any further then this due to the troubles mentioned above.

My ZL-1 does givs a LOT of raw and fun power as it sits but it has been very difficult to just get it out from the garage, especially when it´s cold. But we think we have the solution for that.
My old 750 Holley 4 barrel didn't really match the spec of the engine and the old converter that I kept had to low stall speed. Together with a borrowed distributor it was a fight to get the car out of the garage and running...

Therefore a new custom made carb based on a 4 barrel Holley from https://www.smicarburetor.com arrived the other day to the home of the Hugger. It has an electric choke and a vacuum secondary to match the TH350 and gettin the power smoothly instead of instant. I've heard that this was the intention from Chevrolet from the beginning, when having a street usable ZL-1 together with an automatic!?

I also ordered a custom made distributor from Performance Distributors and I came earlier this summer. Both this parts has been built based on the specs from my ZL-1 engine so it really hope that this will do the trick!  8)

We also got our new 3000+ stall speed converter from B&M Holeshot Torque series part no 20413.

So now it just a matter of time and effort the get the Hugger running next summer again, let the winter start!  ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2018, 07:51:41 PM »
Your's is on my short list of favorite builds!
Always interested in updates.Such a cool factor.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..