Author Topic: The Hugger goes ZL-1....  (Read 115218 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: The Hugger goes ZL-1....
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »
Well, the engine is mounted on engine dynamometer...first time for me in this kind of situation, exciting!  :P
It sure looks good on pic, huh?  ;D

The most important thing why I put the engine on a dyno is to brake the cam in. We just have the outer springs mounted during this process. There are a bunch of piezoelectric sensors mounted on the engine for early detection if something is going in the wrong direction, so to speak....lets hope everything works all right! :rolleyes:

First we boosted the oil with a portable screwdriver and we got good pressure very quick...something I've done right at least! :)

Next step on the list is to brake the cam in......
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2017, 03:05:56 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a video of that.  :D
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2017, 07:55:10 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a video of that.  :D
Me neither..!  ;D
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
That looks amazing on the dyno. Video please!!!!!!!

Scott

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
That looks amazing on the dyno. Video please!!!!!!!

Scott
Thanks Scott, I´ll try! :)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
Finally the cam from Crane has been broken in...but it didn't happen without any problems!  :(

The starter was the first thing that dint work as is should...one thing that happened was that someone, wasn't me though, mounted the flex plate the wrong way! Then we had to shim the starter a lot of times before we could use it with satisfaction...
The next thing that we discovered was the internal electrical system on this home made dyno wasn't build for these type of BB Chevy engines so we almost blew it trying to start the mighty ZL-1!  :o The owner made a quick fix and then it was almost ok...
This dyno has been adapted for smaller Volvo and Beemer engines with turbos and other cheating parts!  ::)

When we finally got the ZL-1 to run it was just to find out that it didn't run on all eight so we just hit the emergency button! Responsible for this debacle was yours truly, who really is a newbie in engine building and therefore hadn´t adjusted the hydraulic lifters correctly and that caused the engine to NOT run on all cylinders! Do again, do right!  :-[     

We then had difficulties with getting the timing correct, the strobe lamp wasn't working as it should. We tested another lamp but with same result so the next thing to look at was the cables and ignition coil. After a couple of starting attempts we realized that that the reused ACCEL coil from the old 355 finally gave up!  :(
This ACCEL coil had been working great on my 355 so I thought it was ok to reuse it on the ZL-1 in an attempt to cut the budget but that backfired!  :-[  We also discovered some bad cables and the only good thing about this is that these kind of problems are nice to discover now while the engine is sitting in a bench instead of being mounted in the car!  :roll:
The owner of the dyno had an old HEI-distributor on a shelf in deep storage so we borrowed that for further testing on the dyno and it worked ok. :|

When we finally got the engine running on all cylinders it ran very nice and smooth on idle ...you actually could do the comparison with the famous RR-engine where you could put a standing coin on top of the engine and it would not fall! Many thanks to my engine shop that did the internal balancing! :D

After a successful break-in of the cam we took the oil pan down for inspection of oil and particles.... nothing suspicious was found and that felt nice as well. I really appreciate the one-piece seal during this inspection! :)

While the cam was broken in with just the outer springs mounted, the complete set of springs now had to be in place. To get the tight spring rates and height we realized we had to order new retainers from USA and of course that delayed the whole process again..
When this parts had arrived and mounted together with all the springs we had to adjust the hydraulic lifters once more..piuuh, its a lot of unexpected things to consider when building an engine!  :P
I borrowed a very nice tool for mounting springs though, very handy!

An old and very used HEI-distributor, not mounted in pictures above, together with almost home made ignition cables and a carb from the CSB 355 that's not optimal for the ZL-1 are not the best conditions for getting a real deal dyno test of a ZL-1 but we will try to get back here with one when the engine still is on the dyno...  ::) the hours in the bench are running away as well!  ::)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »
Despite all the hassels we had and while the engine was in the dyno stand we decided to do some runs to se what we could get out of this first engine build of mine!
For you guys that that have been demanding a video, I have to disappoint you, sorry!  :-[
We were too busy to check on the engine and dyne during this test runs so i just have these two short vids on it. Taken with my iPhone 7.

First one from brakin the cam in. The smoke is from the WD-40 I used for protecting the manifolds from being rusty during storage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCTeNUntxtg

Second one is from the gauges of the dyno control panel. Our ZL-1 sounds eager and the throttle respond is ok despite the saggy ignition system!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycc9ReWjmpQ

The original ZL-1 from Chevrolet made around 376 hp at 6750 rpm, dyno tested by Bill Porterfield, with a similar setup as ours with manifolds, original air filter and alternator mounted. Our goal with this build was to get as close as Chevrolets original ZL-1 as possible but within our conservative budget. Therefore we had a sligthly lower compression ratio, a used Holley 750 carb and, as we discovered during the cam break-in process, a not-so-good ingition system! We do have a more race influenced intake but that aren't always the best way to go.. ???

We put a safety stop at 5700 rpm and we then reached around 420 hp, with the curve still rising....we achieved the goal with a margin!  :P
The torque landed one 544 Nm (401 ft.lb.) at 4100 rpm.

We are very satisfied with the dyna results and with a new ignition system, bigger carb, headers and taking the rpm ut to 7000 we´re convinced that our version of the ZL-1 easily could reach 500 hp!  8)
But the goal was NOT to get as much as possible out of it, it was go get a rather street friendly engine and when I really like manifolds on a ZL-1 I´ll keep it like this... for a while at least!  ::)

The engine is now at home waiting to get back in the Hugger again!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:28:54 PM by hgger69 »
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »
It´s not just a simpel engine swap when you go from a small to a big block...nope, why go esy when you can go hard?  :P

One of these other things is to also swap the heater core. As you all know the SB has its water out- and inlets closer to the center but thats no good when the big block and valve covers are in the way of the hoses.

When we was fortunate to win ROTM here last year I ordered a BB heater core from NPD for the price money.
Do you think it fitted?..  ::) You can see the new core to theft and my old SB core to the right.

I had to let our local radiator-shop make a new one and the only thing we kept was the pipings. It turned out very well i think ut the price money is long gone...  :-\

I was happy to one last time crawl under the dash and install the new heater core...

Hmm, doesn´t the pipes seem to be a bit too short?  ???

Yuup. they are! Back to the radiator-shop for a quick do-right-do-again..here is how it turned out:

Much better! ;D

Besides the heater core I´ve also mounted the correct cable for the starter:

Now I also now the correct place for the minus-cable on a BB:

I also wanted to have both a oil pressure gauge AND the original oil pressure indicator in the dash wired so I have to use this solution:
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »
I just have to update while you guys don´t want to stop nagging me..... ;D

We´ve now reached the critical moment in this project when the engine is going back into the Hugger. The car isn't aware of whats going to happen with it in this very moment:

With the engine still mounted on the frame from the dyno it´s easy to lift it with help from two Camaro-friends and a reliable engine crane:

We moved the Hugger sideways in ny garage for easier access to the engine bay during the surgery...anf of course we used sterile clothing.  ::)

Oh my....  :P

We were two guys watching the engine bay and another running the crane 

Tada, the ZL-1 really fitted but its a tight fit!  ;)

After we mounted the TH350 and engine together we pushed the car back to its parking place for further and smaller surgery!

Here are the temperature-controlled clutch, which was standard on 427 COPO,  and the for 1969 original seven-blade fan mounted:

I couldn´t hold myself so I just had to test mount the carb and cowl air filter...it feels so unreal but even though so right!  8)

A bunch of things still remains do to, but every smal step is a step towards getting the Hugger on its wheels this summer!  ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Almost looks too good to drive.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
Almost looks too good to drive.
Thanks Kelly, you're to kind! :)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2018, 03:12:20 AM »
Thanks for the little video! What a pretty machine!!
You may check the next time you need to order parts, I'm pretty sure the correct molded bypass hose (between the intake and water pump) is still available so you won't have to live with that kinked piece of straight hose.  ;) 
Great work and thanks for sharing!!
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

SMS

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2018, 03:29:16 AM »
This is great. Thanks for sharing.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »
Thanks for the little video! What a pretty machine!!
You may check the next time you need to order parts, I'm pretty sure the correct molded bypass hose (between the intake and water pump) is still available so you won't have to live with that kinked piece of straight hose.  ;) 
Great work and thanks for sharing!!
Great to hear, John! :D
I thought I had the correct hose on the bypass and it's not molded...never seen a molded one? Was it molded from factoy you mean?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2018, 06:51:18 AM »
This is great. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! :)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com