Author Topic: Grandma's 69 Camaro - Hi, I am new to the Forum  (Read 45811 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: Grandma's 69 Camaro - Hi, I am new to the Forum
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 07:12:03 AM »
I also notice that the hood stripe, decal, is missing but I have another quest regarding the DX-1....didn't the six bangers have the cui emblem on the front fender and therefore it should be a gap fore it on the stripe as it is on say a 350 car?

I really love the DX-1 and intend to put it on my X44 some day..... ::)
Nobody that have an answer to my quest? ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
I also notice that the hood stripe, decal, is missing but I have another quest regarding the DX-1....didn't the six bangers have the cui emblem on the front fender and therefore it should be a gap fore it on the stripe as it is on say a 350 car?

Hakan, I believe the 250 six cylinder got the engine size fender emblems, nothing for the 230.

Paul

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
A good body guy could fix that fender by popping it out. Wouldn't be perfect, but wouldn't need paint. And would be low cost...
I would imagine the same could be said for the wheel covers. It probably would not take much to hammer out the dents and straighten them out.
On the fender, I would just do it yourself with a rubber mallet and a body hammer and even an amatuer, like myself, could get a good bit of the dent out without repaint.
Also noticed this car is a non X11(X44). Would be nice to get some detail pics of untouched areas as so many restos add X11 components.
If you do decide to hammer out the fender and the grille is still good, not cracked, remove it before hammering or you may possibly damage it. If uncracked, the grille is a valuable piece.

ko-lek-tor - Thank you for the comments.  Yes, I agree with you and KurtS about popping out the fender dent.  It is on the list to do.  Would it be best to take the fender completly off?  I have a friend that is an amazing body man and he doesn't belive in any filler, so I will talk to him when it comes time.

Let me know which pictures of the X11 areas you want me to take?  I am going to be gone for a couple of days on a business trip, but I can take photos when I get back.

I really need to get to reading and studying up on this car.  X11, X44.....doesn't mean anything to this dumb Ford guy.  Please excuse my ignorance.  Hahah   :-)

I really love the DX-1 and intend to put it on my X44 some day..... ::)

hgger69 - I will take some pictures of the hood this weekend.  The stripes are there on the hood, but have worn off over time.  My picture angle wasn't good to see them.

Thank you everyone for your comments.  Learning more about this car is much over due.  I should have done this 15 years ago.....I have a lot of catching up to do. 

1969 Camaro - 6 cylinder - Original car, never restored.  Needs some TLC.  My Great Grandmother bought it new and has been in the family ever since.

I am a Ford guy, but this Camaro will never leave the family.  Sorry for the uneducated questions.

Thank you, Brian

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »

Hakan, I believe the 250 six cylinder got the engine size fender emblems, nothing for the 230.

Paul
Thanx for answering Paul, didn't know there were two different sex bangers either! ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Classic Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
wow, nice car. fun fact?, my ex-wife put that exact same dent in the driver's side front fender of my "blue car". Boy was I mad. LOL.
opinions are like wallets, some just aren't worth stealin'.

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »
wow, nice car. fun fact?, my ex-wife put that exact same dent in the driver's side front fender of my "blue car". Boy was I mad. LOL.

Wow!  I bet that was not a fun day.

The story about this dent is from my Grandma always parking the car on the street in front of her house.  My Dad would always tell my Grandma to park it in the driveway but for some reason she didn't like to.  One day this dent magically appeared.  Someone hit it and never said anything.  I think it happened in 1994 or 95.
1969 Camaro - 6 cylinder - Original car, never restored.  Needs some TLC.  My Great Grandmother bought it new and has been in the family ever since.

I am a Ford guy, but this Camaro will never leave the family.  Sorry for the uneducated questions.

Thank you, Brian

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
Would like to see some under-hood pics, if possible, especially the smog system and alternator setup. Joe.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:58 PM »
X11 just means the car had style trim (roof and wheelwell moulding, etc). http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes
Kurt S
CRG

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »
Would like to see some under-hood pics, if possible, especially the smog system and alternator setup. Joe.

I took some pictures yesterday in the shop.  I am sorry about the pour lighting.  It was raining hard yesterday and I didn't want to put the car outside.  I tried to ad some more light, but I think it added more shadows.  I have some photos below, but have many more at my photobucket site.

I don't have a smog pump on this car.  My dad remembers it never having a smog pump.  My great-grandmother bought the car new in California.  She lived in California until 1976 when she moved to Redmond Oregon.  By this time my dad was 19 years old and was into cars.  He doesn't remember it ever having a smog pump when it came to Redmond and he doesn't think there would be any reason for anyone to take it off if there was one.  I can't see any evidence of where it would be installed or any plugs in the head.  I realize that California has stricter laws about smog starting in 1968.  428 Cobra Jets all had smog because of these laws.  Did they have a law that was only required on so many cubic inches??

Enjoy the photos.  Thank you, Brian

More photos
http://s42.photobucket.com/user/littlefb/library/Camaro

I did replace the carpet last summer.  That is not original.  The rest of the interior is original.

I found this under the carpet.

I also found this under the carpet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:38:03 PM by silverton_ford »

Thank you, Brian

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
If it has one it will have the VIN number typed on it . Here is a copy of one:

BULLITT65 - my car does not have that blue sticker.  What does that mean?  There is a place that looks like old glue residue, but I don't know if that is from an oil change sticker or something else. 

So there are 2 raised ribs on the door, (for sticker placement) and starting with cars delivered in September of 69 it was mandatory for them to have this door sticker with the VIN. Thats is it in a nutshell.

Your car (08A) car was most likely delivered around the second to third week of August, so most likely it never had the sticker.

thanks for looking.

Here are some photos of the inside the driver's door.  It doesn't have that blue sticker.

Thank you, Brian

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
Brian, if the water pump on your Camaro is original, Bryon would love the information off it.  You can post the info here...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12531.0

Paul

Paul,
I don't know if it is the original water pump or not.  I doubt it, but not sure.  Here are some close up photos.  I need to remove the water pump pulley to see the pump.  If it fails in the future or if something else goes wrong I will tear into it, but I am going to keep it running for right now.  I can try to get better pictures if you want.  Thank you, Brian

Thank you, Brian

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
I don't have a smog pump on this car.  My dad remembers it never having a smog pump.  My great-grandmother bought the car new in California.  She lived in California until 1976 when she moved to Redmond Oregon.  By this time my dad was 19 years old and was into cars.  He doesn't remember it ever having a smog pump when it came to Redmond and he doesn't think there would be any reason for anyone to take it off if there was one.  I can't see any evidence of where it would be installed or any plugs in the head.  I realize that California has stricter laws about smog starting in 1968.  428 Cobra Jets all had smog because of these laws.  Did they have a law that was only required on so many cubic inches??

My understanding is that auto trans versions of L6 and small block V8 cars did not employ a smog system... so if this is true, andthis car has an auto, then it should never have had a smog setup....  Is that true or ??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
My understanding is that auto trans versions of L6 and small block V8 cars did not employ a smog system... so if this is true, andthis car has an auto, then it should never have had a smog setup....  Is that true or ??

From the CRG 1967-69 Camaro Emission Systems report...

"In 1968 and 1969, the California and federal emissions requirements were the same and all cars were built to the same 50-state standard. The AIR system was installed on all L6 cars with manual transmissions, all small blocks with manual transmissions, and all Camaros with big blocks. (Chevelles and full-size cars with the 396/325hp engine and TH400 transmission were the only 68-69 Chevrolet big block cars that did not have smog pumps.) Only the automatic L6 and automatic small block Camaros did not have smog pumps, instead they had the simpler Controlled Combustion System. Generally speaking, an automatic car required less aggressive emission control than a manual transmission car because the engine load (and carburetor fuel metering consistency) was more stable and predictable."

More info here...   http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml

Paul

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
My mistake. I thought I read somewhere that by 1969 all California destined Camaros were equipped with the A.I.R. system. I see by your air cleaner snorkel that your car is equipped with the Controlled Combustion System (CCS) which was used on the automatic L6's and small blocks. Thanks for the great pics.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »
Brian, if you think the original hubcaps are too far gone to bring back, drop me an email.  I have quite a few decent used ones.  Good luck on preserving your Camaro! 

Kevin from NJ