Author Topic: Watts Linkage And Other Locating Devices  (Read 22172 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Watts Linkage And Other Locating Devices
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
I'd love to see images of the various rear end locating devices used on first gen Camaros, including both sideways movement and tramp/hop prevention devices. What worked? What didn't? Also, did GM supply their own over the counter options?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Watts Linkage And Other Locating Devices
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
Steve, in '67 most of the Camaro competitors just added a factory style traction arm on the driver's side to go along with the stock one
that was already there on the passenger side. There wasn't a whole lot of lateral location being concentrated on that first year although
a factory built rear sway bar arrangement was made in very limited quantities and this helped lateral control somewhat. For 1968 and
later that's when you started to see some of the Panhard rods and Watts links come into play. Here on the underside of the Gary Morgan
'67 Z-28, you can see a Panhard rod installed in conjunction with the two factory style traction arms. It is generally thought that the
traction arms caused suspension bind but Gary Morgan always ran the car in this configuration from '67-'69 and he said it worked well.
Gary held the A/Sedan track record at Watkins Glen with this car back in the day. The pictures below are from when the car was being
sold by RK Motors in Charlotte.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Here's a vintage photo of the Watts link set-up in the Chaffey College Camaro. They also used a set of Gary Wheeler's
Hi-Tork horizontal shocks to control axle tramp.

Below are some current pictures I took of the Chaffey College Camaro's rear suspension. The horizontal shocks have gotten
worn out. Owner Mark Mountanos still has them but they have been removed.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:26:39 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »
What is the flat metal plate for that is bolted to the frame near the front leaf spring mount? It almost looks like part of a leaf spring.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
The Chaffey College Camaro has a very unusual roll cage and those plates shown on the frame rail are where part of the cage is attached to the floor.
They ran bolts through the frame and also welded the plates to the floor inside, although the welding may have come at a later date.

Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »
So if the traction bars were considered to bind suspension, what were used instead, do you know Jon? Do the horizontal shocks do a better job than the "simple" traction bars? Thanks for the info!
Nick

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »
Wow, thanks Jon, these are outstanding! The Gary Morgan Camaro is as clean on the underside as it is on top.

Do you have more?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »
So if the traction bars were considered to bind suspension, what were used instead, do you know Jon? Do the horizontal shocks do a better job than the "simple" traction bars? Thanks for the info!

Yes, the horizontal shocks would do a better job of eliminating the suspension bind than the rigid bars. Some cars used neither the shocks nor the bars. Some used a reverse wrap around the front spring eye of the rear leaf springs as a method of controlling spring wrap-up on deceleration.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:08:08 AM »
That cage is very unusual and not very safe looking.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:10:53 AM »
Wow, thanks Jon, these are outstanding! The Gary Morgan Camaro is as clean on the underside as it is on top.

Do you have more?

Thanks, Steve. Below is an article on the Panhard rod rear suspension used on the '68 AMC Javelins. I believe in '69 they switched to a Watts link arrangement but I don't think I have any good pics of that.

There does not appear to be a driveshaft safety loop in the Javelin.

(Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

wendell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »
Was it the Chaffee College car that ran a three link at some point? 

The center mounted top link is the preffered traction aid in vintage racing today. Was it used back in the day?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:52 AM »
No, I think the Chaffey College rear suspension has remained unchanged. I think the University of Pittsburgh Camaro had a three link, if I remember correctly. I think it was also tried on one of the Bud Moore Boss Mustangs and maybe one of the Mopars. There are others out there that would know better than me.
Jon Mello
CRG

wendell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »
You're correct.  I knew it was a school!  Do you know if anyone ran a top link?

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »
Anybody have the pic of Donohue sitting in a Javelin, can't remember which year, but there's a red Koni or something in the pic behind him,  mounted just above the driveshaft tunnel.   Ken

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
The 70 Bud Moore car #775 had a three link set up but Parnelli set faster times in the normal suspension car so it was removed. You can see what remains of the brackets and the three link that they all had. This car had a very high rear deck area in front of the rear window inside the car and the rear shocks were outboard of the frame rails too. You can also see part of the over ride traction bars where they pass through the floor.