Author Topic: More 69 Z/28 misrepresentation on ebay  (Read 18626 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: More 69 Z/28 Ebay fraud
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »
Thanx Gary,
Probably one of few things that's correct in my engine compartment!  ;D
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
Spoilers became a mandatory option on the Z28's in April, the D80 code was added to the cowl tag in May.  BUT the D80 cowl tag code is not present on every Z28 made after they became part of the package.  Don't know why, possibly if the order sheet indicated the spoiler option was selected the tag got the D80 code on the tag, even though all Z28s got spoilers after April anyway.  The D80 code was added to the cowl tag just after the Firebirds started being assembled at Norwood and probably has more to do with the Trans AMs than the Camaros, as they used the same code on their tag.  Possibly the "computers" that coded the options couldn't differentiate between a TA D80 option and a Camaro D80 option.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
Could it be if they had the rear antennae there would be no D80 as the spoiler did not work with the spoiler, thanks Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
Kurt, what is your opinion in regards to this cowl tag?

Paul

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Possible 69 Z/28 on Ebay
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
Here is the VIN tag for that car.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:07:11 AM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
well bad news. The motor is not original to the car, Looks to be an april date,(looks to be an original DZ?) He said there is a partial VIN by the oil filter but he was having a hard time trying to read it. The trans may be from the same car as the motor and is dated pretty close (P9D29B) but the vin was really hard to make out, may have had another stamp done on top of the original vin stamp. I asked for a pic on the rear end and he said it looks to have new axle tubes installed, in fact he said there was still a part # on the sticker, but they were completely smooth. So this kinda leads us all the way back to the firewall tag as being the only possible legit Z/28 item on the car still.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 03:13:13 AM »
Just a thought - primarily for the moderator(s) of this forum.

I think we really need to be very careful with how we state subjects, etc. on the forum.  The subject of this thread is "More 69 Z/28 Ebay Fraud".  I believe the real intent of the subject is "More Potential 69 Z/28 fraud on EBay".  In my mind, the title of this thread could be interpreted to imply that eBay is directly involved with fraud on their site, i.e. "EBay fraud" - which I don't believe was the intent.

Just my two cents.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »
That's the first intelligent comment I've read yet. The intent of this forum should be to pass on good information not speculation.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
Tag is an obvious repro.
That's not speculation. But I'm torn on how much info in the thread should be on public display.

Rich,
I see your point. But none of the post malign ebay and that's not how I read it the first time.
Kurt S
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
Just a thought - primarily for the moderator(s) of this forum.

I think we really need to be very careful with how we state subjects, etc. on the forum.  The subject of this thread is "More 69 Z/28 Ebay Fraud".  I believe the real intent of the subject is "More Potential 69 Z/28 fraud on EBay".  In my mind, the title of this thread could be interpreted to imply that eBay is directly involved with fraud on their site, i.e. "EBay fraud" - which I don't believe was the intent.

Just my two cents.

Richard
That's the first intelligent comment I've read yet. The intent of this forum should be to pass on good information not speculation.
X3
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
Kurt, I say pull it, delete the whole thing. There is plenty more out there, and there always will be. It's not like we are having a discussion about a members car who needs help cause he wants to buy it. You got the info in the DB it's done. There is going to be 100's. That missing tag info is a big piece of information.. Just my opinion... Danny

The problem with removing the thread is that "The Data Base" is privately held and few have access. Nothing will show up if a potential buyer searches a VIN. That's why regular members post these Trim Tags and VIN's, isn't it? To help out fellow enthusiast's?

Besides, this thread is no worse than most reproduction tag flags. Edit it you must, but leave the basic info.

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »

The problem with removing the thread is that "The Data Base" is privately held and few have access. Nothing will show up if a potential buyer searches a VIN. That's why regular members post these Trim Tags and VIN's, isn't it? To help out fellow enthusiast's?

Besides, this thread is no worse than most reproduction tag flags. Edit it you must, but leave the basic info.

I agree totally.

I feel that threads like this provide good info for potential buyers.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
The same thread is running on TC, so the VIN is out there with this info. But I'll pare this thread.

I'd like to rachet down the ebay policing a notch. Just notifying (with tact and discretion) the seller that the tag has issues is sufficient.
I listed something on ebay the other day and someone contacted me that it was incorrect. I researched and many were listed incorrectly, hence my error. Deleted and relisted correctly. My point is notification is all that needs to happen. It's up to the seller to do more research.

I should add that cars like this aren't always added to the db. Very little data of research value and every entry takes more time than you'd think (noting source, comments, pics, etc).

I do save the pics. I will mention the file format I use since it may help others when looking for a pic.
We use the VIN in the title, e.g. tag_9N673525_NOR108403_repro.jpg  and vin_9N673525.jpg.
If you search for the VIN on your computer, then you can find the pic. ;)

That's why regular members post these Trim Tags and VIN's, isn't it? To help out fellow enthusiast's?
And that's why I highly suggest adding the VIN to any thread about a car. Often VIN pics or tag pics are added, but the VIN itself needs to be there too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:44:49 PM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: More 69 Z/28 misrepresentation on ebay
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »
So since there is a square hole around the vin plate, it looks like the dash may have been repaired/replaced at one point. Seems like this car raises a lot of questions.
I asked the dealer if they had any previous pics of the car prior to restoration, and said they seller purchased it this way.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: More 69 Z/28 misrepresentation on ebay
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:56 AM »
When I was looking through the first gen's for sale on ebay the other day, the color combo of this car caught my eye. I wasn't looking for something that could be a start to a thread, but the more I looked through the ad, the more things I saw that were wrong. I have learned many of the things that I now know about Camaro's from here and over at TC. I wondered how many others were being lured in by that mesmerizing color combo.  (Gary knows what I am talking about :) 

I decided the car was a fraud and I needed to expose it, as other fraudulent cars have been exposed on this site countless times before. This is the only reason I started the thread, both here and on TC. One TC member actually posted a thanks for the thread because he was giving serious consideration to the purchase of this very 69.

Kurt, thank you for confirming my statement concerning the fraudulent trim tag. I do not want to be wrong and misrepresent anything. The work and knowledge that you and the other CRG experts have done, and continue to do, is immeasurable!

I believe most people understand that my use of "ebay fraud" has to do with the seller and not the site. I am not in favor of publicizing certain information that could help the scammers. The exposure of another fake first gen Z/28 for sale was my only reason for starting this thread.