Author Topic: Round 2: Going to see a '68 Z/28 - Need some help w/pics  (Read 44487 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: Round 2: Going to see a '68 Z/28 - Need some help w/pics
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 03:25:46 AM »
lol

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 05:22:23 AM »
Sounds like a pretty nice find. If it's the car you want I say go for it. If you have had you heart set on a different year or model (rs, big block ss, 67 or 69) than pass on it if he won't budge on price much, and wait for what you want. I personally love the 68 z's; you just don't see as many as 69. I guess what I'm saying is get the car you want, even if you spend a little more than what it might be worth, the fun factor and joy of having what you want is worth it.

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »
Janobyte -

Glass date codes--carpet ? Seat belts ?

When I was there, I didn't know enough to check the glass dates, but the owner told me that another person looked at the car and told him that the glass was original.  Thus far, he's been as honest as the day is long, so I'd lean toward believing him.

Carpet - original type loop pile, same deal with the glass, didn't know how to check if it's original.  It's all there and in good shape, a bit faded in places.

Seat belts - present and accounted for, don't know if they're original.

As far as ggtsvnv's comment, I WAS originally looking for a big block car, but I was always open to the possibility of a Z28, one just never presented itself.  I really like ALL 1st gen Camaros, and was looking for an original high-performance version of one, be it a big block or a Z28.

It also seems to me that, over the long run, a Z28 will hold/appreciate in value more.  I'm not looking for a car as an investment, but I can't ignore that aspect of purchasing a vehicle.  No one wants to buy a car knowing that it will lose value, the only exception being cars purchased for sentimental reasons, and as far as I know, I was NOT conceived in the back of any type of Camaro, so the sentimental pull for a particular model isn't there.

Chris

67rs/ss350 68z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
Alternator is another big dollar item $1,000.00- $1,500.00 And it should have a big deep grove pulley. Does he have the original 4.56 gears??  Did the distributor look too clean for the car?? There should have been a date code on it. Maybe Restamp? Something to think of as far as paying for the car. Of course if you wanted it to be original.
Hard and expensive parts
Alternator $1,000.00- $1,500.00
Distributor $1,500.00- $2,000.00
Clutch and fan clutch  $2,500.00-$3,000.00
Radiator with OD tanks $800.00- $1,500.00
Complete Pollution pump etc. $2,500-$3,000.00
Factory dated 4.56 gears $300.00
Rechrome those valve covers $300.00
Thermostat housing with casting number $150.00
Correct master cylinder $300.00
As you can see parts add up fast! Some parts you can find cheaper some cost more, depends on condition and how bad you want ( need) them. With in the last few years I have sold a 1111467 dist for $1,600.00, BU 12 bolt rear end $2,400.00, 814 alt. $1,100.00, T/ housing $150.00

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
67rs -

My whole objective with this car for now would be to go through it, make sure that everything was up to snuff, i.e. brakes, fluids, cooling, etc, polish it up, and drive it for a while.  Yes, it's a little rough around the edges, but it's presentable and driveable as is.  I do NOT want to buy a car, and then take 5 years to restore it before I can drive it.  I'm ok with not having a perfectly restored car right now.

Honestly, the end game for this car is to have a nice original driver.  I do NOT want a trailer queen/garage ornament.  If I end up with a car that's 95% original, I'm fine with it.

Distributor was about as dirty as the rest of the engine and did not look out of place.
Engine had a fan with a clutch - original?  Don't know, but one is there.
Factory dated gears are gone - it would be nice to have them, but I wouldn't have them put back in anyway.  4.56 is too damn low for practical street use IMHO.

Radiator/alternator/MC, etc, I'm ok with not being original.  They're there, they work, and they don't look entirely out of place.  If I decide to go for a concours resto, then I'll worry about it.

Chris

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
Atta boy. Don't get too caught up in chasing the bolt on stuff like alternators etc. It sounds like the heart of the car is in good shape and it is not somebodies cobbled together mess. Play with it and drive it like it was meant to be. Keep it warm and dry, take proper care of it, fix stuff as needed and you will get a ton of enjoyment at a reasonable cost.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Prices quoted above are just about in line and correct. The only thing I would say is a complete all original smog set-up totally restored is about $1,695 to $1,800 all day at several locations. You probably will skip the smog. I was going to pull al that stuff off my car, and not worry about a lot of things. But then I discovered that it is TOO original. I hope you get it and post in the coming days that you are back home with the car... D

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Atta boy. Don't get too caught up in chasing the bolt on stuff like alternators etc. It sounds like the heart of the car is in good shape and it is not somebodies cobbled together mess. Play with it and drive it like it was meant to be. Keep it warm and dry, take proper care of it, fix stuff as needed and you will get a ton of enjoyment at a reasonable cost.

Great advice...   fix as needed... preserve/drive/enjoy...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

67rs/ss350 68z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »
I wasn't intending that he should buy all the parts, just to realize depending what he wants to do with the car parts prices are crazy. Use it as a guide toward the purchase price of the car.

I like the idea Danny has with the original Butternut yellow one ( nice car by the way! and great pictures of the originality), drive it as it is. I started restoring my 68 Z 20 years ago ( still not done), and went too crazy with it. Going to be a trailer queen, no fun in that. I'd rather be driving it and enjoy using it. That's why I have other cars to drive

Price for smog system I was talking about includes correct exhaust manifolds, not sure what's on the blue car?

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Going to be a trailer queen, no fun in that. I'd rather be driving it and enjoy using it.
Then do it. There are no rules other than the ones you put on yourself. I don't care how much time and money I've put into mine when I'm done with it, I'll be driving it.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
Thanx, I am sure having a lot of fun. Going for a ride today!  ;D  I really like taking the time and making sure my pictures are nice. You are right if ya need the whole package with the exhaust manifolds, it adds up fast. I have a really nice extra original power brake vacuum hose bracket that I am keeping for trading purposes. Maybe someone will have some Cowl Plenum parts or something I need and they need this bracket. It will help me cut the cost.... Danny

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
67rs -

My whole objective with this car for now would be to go through it, make sure that everything was up to snuff, i.e. brakes, fluids, cooling, etc, polish it up, and drive it for a while.  Yes, it's a little rough around the edges, but it's presentable and driveable as is.  I do NOT want to buy a car, and then take 5 years to restore it before I can drive it.  I'm ok with not having a perfectly restored car right now.

Honestly, the end game for this car is to have a nice original driver.  I do NOT want a trailer queen/garage ornament.  If I end up with a car that's 95% original, I'm fine with it.

Distributor was about as dirty as the rest of the engine and did not look out of place.
Engine had a fan with a clutch - original?  Don't know, but one is there.
Factory dated gears are gone - it would be nice to have them, but I wouldn't have them put back in anyway.  4.56 is too damn low for practical street use IMHO.

Radiator/alternator/MC, etc, I'm ok with not being original.  They're there, they work, and they don't look entirely out of place.  If I decide to go for a concours resto, then I'll worry about it.

Chris

If you get it you have the correct idea for sure so enjoy! 67RS did just bring up what things cost so some of the fun can also knowing what you need and having fun working to find things that are needed on the cheap and it can be done, especially small items.
I know Danny is sure having a lot of fun....... :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

67rs/ss350 68z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
Thanx, I am sure having a lot of fun. Going for a ride today!  ;D  I really like taking the time and making sure my pictures are nice. You are right if ya need the whole package with the exhaust manifolds, it adds up fast. I have a really nice extra original power brake vacuum hose bracket that I am keeping for trading purposes. Maybe someone will have some Cowl Plenum parts or something I need and they need this bracket. It will help me cut the cost.... Danny

I do need that vacuum hose bracket if you decide to get rid of it. Or trade it let me know

It is fun driving my 67 rs/ss convertible, that's a driver. Or my blown 72 Vega wagon or other's to chose from

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
67RS -

No offense taken, and I do appreciate the detail around cost of parts.  Gives me an ideas of what I'm in for if I do decide to bring it back to 100% original.

Chris

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 07:07:10 AM »
Drive it.
Then fix the 1/4's and repaint. Detail it and keep driving it....
Kurt S
CRG

anything