Author Topic: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available  (Read 47594 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
Steve Holmes, who has posted here numerous times and who runs the excellent Roaring Season website, has introduced his new Muscle Car digital magazine as of December 4th. It is 100% on-line, not published in a hard copy. There are some very well done features in this issue, but perhaps most interesting to us would be the feature story on the '68 Penske Camaro currently owned by Tom McIntyre. Issue 1 is free to download, and is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.musclecardigitalmagazine.mcdmissue1

Excellent job as always, Steve.  I'm not sure how you find the time to do it all.
Jon Mello
CRG

satman

• View Profile
Re: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »
To bad it only works in android ..

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:50 AM »
To bad it only works in android ..

AL

Steve says... "If your system uses another platform, we’re hoping to have Apple iTunes, Zinio etc available shortly. We’ve been slightly frustrated by a new block Youtube appears to be setting up that doesn’t allow their videos to be played anywhere outside their own website, so the video links take you through to Youtube, rather than play in the mag itself, but we’re looking into a program that will allow us to imbed them within the mag."
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »
What if you have a Windows operated computer?

Thanks for the link Jon, and also the hard work from Steve!
Nick

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 03:24:47 AM »
Thanks so much Jon for letting people know about the new mag. I really appreciate you helping get the word out.

Just so you guys know, I was grateful to be able to tap into Jon's amazing knowledge-base on first gen Camaro race cars when putting together the Penske Camaro story, and Jon also gave permission to use some of the photos from this incredible resource he has put together.

Anyway, about the mag, Muscle Car Digital Magazine is a new magazine that focuses on the history of the muscle car. Its 100% digital, and won't be reproduced in paper form. The reason for this is because its built around including video and audio (as well as text and photos) in the articles, to help portray the stories. Also, the magazine layout is quite different to a traditional paper based magazine, which in digital form, is a bit clumsy and time consuming to navigate.

The mag has initially been designed predominantly for use on tablets, as these are an incredibly fast growing area of the market, with almsot 200 million being sold in 2013, whereas desktop personal computer sales are in decline. However, we're working through the process of also using a different build program so the mag can also be viewed on laptop and desktop computers. I personally use a desktop pc for almost all my work, and I think many others do the same.

We've just released Issue 1 for Android operating systems, such as Samsung Galaxys etc. We're hoping to have the Apple version available shortly also. We have to submit the magazine to the different operating system companies separately and they each review it before giving permission to host it (or not). Each submission is really time consuming, but fortunately only has to be done once.

Anyway, Issue 1 of the magazine features the Penske Camaro raced by Mark Donohue from Round 3 onwards in the 1968 Trans-Am. Once again, my thanks to Jon for his help with this, and also the cars owner Tom McIntyre. The article covers the history of this car, and is about 6,500 words long. We also feature a two owner Australian Valiant Charger R/T E38 that was a race car from new in 1971 and for the first two years of its life, before being sold to the family who still own it. We also have a 1 of 1 optioned Mustang 428 Cobra Jet in New Zealand, a cool collection of AMC motor racing memorabilia, plus event coverage, general muscle car stories etc. There is also a section called Looking Back, in which we ask people to submit their old muscle car images from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Jon has also supplied some neat images of himself and some buddies taking their '69 Camaros for a blast around some Californian roads in 1979. 

So thats it in a nutshell. I'll keep you posted on development regarding the other platforms (such as the iPad version) as they come to light, and also progress on doing a version for desktop/laptop.

Thanks again to Jon.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
Thanks so much Jon for letting people know about the new mag. I really appreciate you helping get the word out.

My pleasure, Steve. I wish you every success with this endeavor.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm very pleased to finally announce the Apple version for Muscle Car Digital Magazine is now finally available, for users of Apple iPads and iPhones. There were lengthy delays due to us wanting to give Issue 1 away for free download, whereas Apple are set up to charge for downloads. We got there in the end though.

We are close to also having a version of the mag available for desktop and laptop computers.

The Apple version of Issue 1 is Free, and available for download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/muscle-car-digital/id958945371?mt=8

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
Steve, great stuff, am looking forward to the version for Apple lap tops. In the shot of Mark's pit stop above, is that '68 Meadowdale raceway ? I think they only had one Trans-Am race. where is Roger ? he's usually monitoring things !

group/7 in Canada

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Thanks, much appreciated. Yes that shot is from Meadowdale, as is the one used on the front cover. They are both by Pete Luongo.

Is that Roger down near the front fender signalling to Mark?

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:17:52 AM »
[quote Is that Roger down near the front fender signalling to Mark?
[/quote]

Looks like him.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:13 AM »
Awesome job making that happen, Steve.  Kudos to you for a job well done.

Yes, that's Roger and there's also Jim "Crabby" Travers on the right with the tire/wheel and crew chief Roy Gane with the dark shirt and white pants.
Jon Mello
CRG

rmbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Awesome job making that happen, Steve.  Kudos to you for a job well done.

Yes, that's Roger and there's also Jim "Crabby" Travers on the right with the tire/wheel and crew chief Roy Gane with the dark shirt and white pants.

That looks to be a very familiar Warren Agor on the fuel fill (white shirt, trackside)

Bob

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
It has always fascinated me to see high profile race cars later in their careers as they've worked their way down the line through various owners. Consider the 1968 Trans-Am season, the cars that came together to compete for that season, and how they then dispersed in the years that followe.

Tom McIntyre sent me this pic of Bruce Belcher, who was one of the later owners of the Penske Camaro we featured in Issue 1, which Tom has owned since the 1980s. I'm guessing this pic was taken sometime during the late 1970s. Its interesting to see how little has changed on this car. This is virtually as Tom bought it a few years later. Many Trans-Am and A/Sedan cars were cut up during the 1970s as sedan rules became quite far removed from those through to 1972. But somehow this car remained unscathed.

When Bruce owned the Camaro, it was almost locked into a time-warp from when Penske bought it back off Sam Posey in 1969, updated it to '69 Penske Camaro specs with the yellow Minilites etc, and kept it as their back-up car should any of the factory Ford teams try to eliminate Donohue.

Thanks Tom for the photo.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 12:48:18 AM »
Another great picture Steve.  Thanks for posting it!
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »
Thanks for posting that great photo, Steve.  It really is amazing how well-cared-for this car was after its Penske heyday. So many of these cars got cut up, abused, and left to die, but not this one thankfully.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything