Author Topic: New guy - Hello! Need opinions - is it a real SS?  (Read 21574 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: New guy - Hello! Need opinions - is it a real SS?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
You can send me the pics and I can post them if needed.

cook_dw@hotmail.com

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
Cook -

Thanks for your help.

Emails sent, total of 8 pics.

Chris

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »
The last 4 pics do not mean much as far as documentation.  But the clip on the frame mount is a positive sign. Bad thing is they cut the fuel line and spliced in a section of line in that same area as well as there is no bolted clip on the top of the frame that holds the line.  In the end you will always have doubt without documentation, ownership history and/or original drivetrain.

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »
Hello!

I want to revisit this thread after reading the "67 - 69 fuel line" thread a few spaces below this one.

Based on what I'm seeing, it seems that a 68 L78 car (which is what the subject car of this thread claims to be), should have the fuel line mounted to the cross member on the passenger's side by a metal strap held in place by one of the motor mount bolts.  Am I correct?

I ask because that's what I'm seeing on Cook_dw's '68 L78 and Z28Z11's '69 L78 (or at least the remains of the clip)and Rare396Bronze seems to agree as well, although I don't know if Bronze's car is an L78.

OTOH, Vince and Marty seem to have BB cars ('69 L78 and '68 L35) with fuel lines bolted to the crossmember itself, but both of those cars are Los Angeles cars vs. Norwood.

Is there a definitive finding that says a '68 L78 car should have the fuel line bolted to the cross member on the pass side with a strap held down by a motor mount bolt?

I'd like to know because the car that started this thread has that strap bolted to the PS motor mount, which would put another check in the "Original SS BB" column"

On a separate note, I ordered a shipping report for this car from the NCRS, and it should be here in a few days.  I'm going to see where the car was delivered, and see if I can chase down some information from that angle.

I also called Barret Jackson to see if they had any info on my car other than what's listed on the 2008 auction page I found, but they said that they couldn't disclose any information.

The quest continues...

Chris

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
Based on what I'm seeing, it seems that a 68 L78 car (which is what the subject car of this thread claims to be), should have the fuel line mounted to the cross member on the passenger's side by a metal strap held in place by one of the motor mount bolts.  Am I correct?

Chris

Yes and No.

You can not hang your hat on just that clip.  To help answer a little further.

I feel the clip on the frame mount was used on all 67 & 68 big block cars.  One thing that concerns me is the fact the fuel line was cut in that area as well as I do not see a clip or bolt or even a hole for said items on the top of the frame that secures the line.  So yes this could be a big block car.  Unfortunately, that is not enough evidence to sufficiently say that it is 100% without a doubt a big block car.  What you need with any of these cars anymore is documented ownership history, original drivetrain and/or original paperwork.  Of course the best is all three but sometimes 1 or 2 out of the 3 is enough when all other items check out and nothing seems shady or fishy.  Hope that helps.

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Cook -

Thanks as always for your response.  My reply is below...Please don't take my tone as confrontational or defensive, I'm just trying to say what I'm thinking and why.  Besides, I'm still a noob, and don't want to rattle anyone's cage right out of the gate.

As always, I welcome all responses and opinions, as long as they're polite and on point.

In the first 2 pics that you were kind enough to resize and post for me (thanks again), I see a metal strap on the PS motor mount that's held down by the rear motor mount bolt, which would be consistent with the gas line hold-down for a big block L78 car, based on pics from other  members cars', and that's why I posted.  I don't know what else that strap would be for other than a fuel line.

I realize that without the original engine and/or transmission, or some other type of factory documentation with the VIN on it you cannot make an absolutely definitive ID.  What I am trying to at this point is to check as many boxes as possible that would ID the car as a true BB SS, and at this point, the car has passed all the tests except for the hood springs.

If someone disagrees, please school me, but it would seem that the likelihood of someone going through and making ALL of the changes listed necessary to ID the car as a SS BB would be unlikely.  I think it's unlikely not only because the cost and aggravation necessary to make all those changes, but also because auction description states that the seller had owned the car for 26 years.  With an '08 sale date, that would put that owner's purchase of the car at 1982.  While Camaros have always been desirable, this car would have been maybe a $4 - $6K car in '82, and it doesn't make sense that someone would go through all that cost and aggravation for a $4 - $6K car.  The engine/transmission are NOT recent, so it doesnt appear to me as if someone dolled up a plain jane Camaro recently to make sale.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Thank you!

Chris

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »
My 68 big block car is a 68 L35 Norwood car.

anything