Author Topic: Best source for resto parts  (Read 18209 times)

ccmblack

• View Profile
Best source for resto parts
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:33:04 PM »
Specifically, I am looking for the best company to buy interior parts.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:53:09 PM by ccmblack »

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Best source for resto parts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:28:47 PM »
Actually, they're all pretty much the same since they all purchase from the same manufacturers. Do a search on this site and on the TEAM CAMARO site for opinions on quality. Usually, I go with whoever's closer and has the best pricing.

Ed

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:03:51 AM »
I vote Year One or Classic Muscle. Rick's 1st-Gen gives poor customer service from my experience and they'll eat you alive with shipping and handling charges. Year One is more expensive but they are great people to work with. Classic Muscle in Winston-Salem, NC sells pretty much the same parts as the rest of them at 5 percent less but they're not as knowledgeable as the folks at Year One. For what it's worth, do your research and know what you want and from what vendor, and buy from Classic Muscle if price is your bottom line. They beat anyone I know of. My 2 cents. 
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:05:59 PM »
And if you luck up and get Bill at Classic Muscle, he knows his stuff. (Of course, he's a Chevelle man...)

Here's their site: http://www.oldmusclecars.com/

(And no, we NC tarheels doen't get a kickback, but it is nice to have them around.)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:56 AM »
Hey Lake....Phil at Classic Muscle has a Butternut Yellow '68 Convertible! Heckuva nice guy, too.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:29:25 AM »
I've been using Rick's for a long time, and never had any problems at all.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

deejaygee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
I'm a loyal Rick's customer. I like that they only do first generation, less confusing trying to find something. Also, great pictures online and in the catalog -- worst case, you find out what that mysterious part is for and what it's called.

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:11:23 PM »
I really like D&R Classic Automotive in Illinois.
They are Camaro Only, and they really know their stuff.

www.drclassic.com

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »
I have purchased parts from D&R, Classic Industries, Rick's 1st Gen, The Paddock's, Year One, from Jim Subbings at Heartbeat City, plus a number of parts and services found in Hemmings Motor New publication.  I prefer the more consistent quality on repro parts from Risk's 1st Gen, and have not had any problems with their service.  I have experienced different levels of knowledge from the service techs at Rick's. 

Risk's sells interior door panels made by Al Knoch Interiors who is well known for top quality reproductions for Corvettes.  My 69 deluxe interior panels are from Rick's 1st Gen are very nice pieced made by Al Knoch.  World Wide Camaro Club members get free shipping from Risk's which helps off-set some costs.  I have bargained and received lower prices from vendors by comparison shopping.

Good luck with your project. 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 10:13:57 PM »
We've been using Ricks for years.  Never a problem, and if there is one, they will do what ever it takes to make you happy.  Unfortunately, it seems like the quality is going down hill with the 69 Camaro standard interior covers. 

Jerry   

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:43:03 PM »
Does anyone make a standard door panel that is correct yet for 67-8 or 9?
One that actually has the ridges cut into the panel instead of using foam or batting and then affixing the vinyl to the panel?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 09:18:48 PM »
Unfortunately, all of the standard interior reproduction door panels are too "puffy" and don't look right.  NG!  Originals were much flatter in appearance.  Many of the Camaro owners who bring a car to the Camaro Nationals for the "Legend" concours class try to find good condition original interior parts.  This will improve your score over any reproduction interior. 

The deluxe interior door panels are good and made by Al Knock. 

Jerry 

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of both Rick's First Generation and D&R.
I got a really great surprise from my wife for Christmas. I have been planning on replacing the underdash harness on my 67 Camaro SS with console and gauges. She got the harness for me from Rick's. To say the least, I can't wait for winter to over here in Wisconsin!

Merry Christmas one and all!!!!!!!!

dab67
Dave

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »
JohnZ,

After I read this question I wondered if it would be a good idea to develop a dedicated, quick link list of suppliers under Restoration.  This could be a location where people could record and/or review a list of all the various resto services, vendors, and suppliers they have used with brief description on each, reference to websites, phone numbers, etc.

People could rate the suppliers on a 1 – 5 scale to provide readers with a “grass roots” consumer reports feedback.  We just read various options and experiences from CRG members.  I have found parts from unusual places that might help others with their projects.  I have read numerous threads from several members who appear have many years restoring 1st Gen Camaros who may provide very helpful references.

This may be a lot of work to develop but the thought just crossed my mine.  This would have been very valuable to me years ago before I restored my Camaro.

Your thoughts?

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 03:00:19 PM »
I wish a Camaro parts supplier would do a rating system so we as consumers could make educated decisions on whether or not we wanted to buy something that was not exactly correct... Ames does it for GTO's and Firebirds and they have a VERY LOYAL following as far as parts buyers... they tell you upfront in the catalog... it is not correct but best available or perfect reproduction in every aspect... or somewhere in between... they are honest and if anything they probably under represent what they have, but I will bet their return rate is NIL...
better to have someone pleasantly surprised with what they get than to have them PO'd.
Underpromise and Overdeliver...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything