Author Topic: 68 Window Glass  (Read 7483 times)

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
68 Window Glass
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:52:11 AM »
Hi:

My passenger side window has the Astro Ventilation graphic frosted or painted in the front corner of the glass and I assume this is the original glass.  The drivers door does not have this graphic.  Did this graphic only come on the right side or was it on both sides and my drivers side is a replacement?

Thanks

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Re: 68 Window Glass
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:10:27 AM »
Mark, CRG has agreat article on glass here http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml  Near the end it says this about Astro glass    "The Astro-Ventilation logo was dropped from the 1968 door glass after Nov '67 (approximately) production. However, one pane of apparently original May '68 door glass with the Astro-Ventilation logo has been observed in a 05C build. The mating glass on the opposite side of the vehicle is Sep '67 Astro-Ventilation glass, and combined with the other dates seen in the set, CRG believes that the May '68 pane had the Astro-Ventilation logo added by LOF to create a matching set, presumably to fill a void in production and/or to use up left-over panes. Of course this conclusion is speculative, but we will continue to watch for other, similar, indications." Hope this helps

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:33:41 AM »
RJ:

Thanks for the link to the interesting article.  The information is both interesting and yet troubling. The door is pretty surely the original as it is the correct color and has the factory crayon marks on it, so I assume the glass is original too, but the build date on my car is 06C.  It's late now so tomorrow I will check the date codes on the glass to see where this leads us.  This will be fun to see where it ends up.  Here is a picture of the inside of the door.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:32:33 AM »
Here is the date code and information off my windows:

Right side:      SOFT-RAY
              SAFETY  L    FLO-LITE
                  AS-2   O   AZ-10
                             F
                 SOLID TEMPERED
                       M74

Left side:      SOFT-RAY
              SAFETY  L    FLO-LITE
                  AS-2   O   LX-10
                             F
                 SOLID TEMPERED
                        M74

So one window is from September of 1967 (with Astro-Ventilation graphic fired on inside of window) and one is from March of 1968 (without Astro Ventilation graphic)

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:20:50 AM »
My '68 is a very early production model (#1750) and has Astro Ventilation on both windows if that helps you guys any.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 04:21:46 AM »
Mark,

See MY ANSWER on the Team Camaro site.

Ed